Fourth retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NightmanCometh

New

Fourth retake?

Post by NightmanCometh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:39 pm

So, I got my October score back, and not happy. Basically one of the games screwed me (the "zones"), and I got every single question wrong. Combined with a tough curve, I am now stuck with 166, a score that is not good enough for any T-14s, and I have taken the test three times. I am seriously contemplating a fourth retake. I have a few questions:

1. I took my first LSAT on October 1, 2011. Since the October test for next year is on October 5, 2013, that should be okay for the "3 tests in 2 years" rule, right?

2. How badly do T-14 schools look upon a fourth retake?

My GPA is is 3.65 (Ivy), very solid work experience, very solid recs. Since I am currently in a job, I can continue working until next year should I choose to retake and apply next cycle. I plan on applying to everything anyway, but in the very likely case that I get rejected to all T-14s, just wanted to see how a fourth retake would affect my chances for next year. Despite my absolute hatred for the LSAT, I am willing to suck it up and study again to take it for the fourth time if it means a better school. My PT averages are a lot higher than my actual scores, which is why I am so disappointed.

Any input/anectodal evidence appreciated, thanks!

Platinum

Re: Fourth retake?

Post by 2014 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Especially with the new rules last year making 4th retakes rare, anecdotes are going to be tough to find. There is however little evidence that schools punish people for retakes beyond perhaps preferring someone with identical numbers who didn't have to retake. If you can get 170+ it would certainly be worth it.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:02 pm

2014 wrote:Especially with the new rules last year making 4th retakes rare, anecdotes are going to be tough to find. There is however little evidence that schools punish people for retakes beyond perhaps preferring someone with identical numbers who didn't have to retake. If you can get 170+ it would certainly be worth it.
Where can I find the rules? For some reason I had it in my mind that your first test had to be 5 years old for you to take a fourth.

NightmanCometh

New

Post by NightmanCometh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks! But it would be fine if I took it next October right, even with the new rules? (which from what I understand only affects the people who were petitioning specific schools)? My tests were Oct (1) 2011, Dec 2011, and Oct 2012. So taking it October 5, 2013 would restart a new two year cycle right?

NightmanCometh

New

Post by NightmanCometh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:09 pm

@blue jeans:

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/about-the-lsat.asp

See the bottom of the page

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BalanceCare

Bronze

Post by BalanceCare » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:43 pm

NightmanCometh wrote: [Is it worth it]
Sending PM

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm in your shoes, OP, and am looking at a fourth LSAT next October as well. With schools not averaging and the decline in applications, I really don't see it being a big deal at the vast majority of schools.

cynthia rose

Bronze

Post by cynthia rose » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:16 pm

NightmanCometh wrote:Thanks! But it would be fine if I took it next October right, even with the new rules? (which from what I understand only affects the people who were petitioning specific schools)? My tests were Oct (1) 2011, Dec 2011, and Oct 2012. So taking it October 5, 2013 would restart a new two year cycle right?
Not quite. I took it in October 2010, October 2011, and February 2012, and was able to take it this October. Out of pure curiosity I just checked and LSAC will not let me register at all for a future test date (won't even let me move to the 'select a date' section). So based on that, the two year limit doesn't completely "restart," the two-year limit just moves to the second-oldest date. I.e., for me they're now counting from Oct. 2011 and I won't be able to take it again until October 2013.

But hopefully for you this nuance won't matter in the long run. You'll be able to take it in October '13, and even December '13 if you wanted to. If you sat for both those administrations though, you couldn't take it again until October '14, but that would be a rather long time to still want to take the LSAT! :p

Can't answer the rest of your questions as an 0L but I suspect for the schools where my numbers would have a chance, it won't make a difference this cycle. And I feel you on being disappointed with the score...I got a 166 this time too, and I place the entire blame on me choking on LG and that rough curve. I wish I had your GPA though.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NightmanCometh

New

Post by NightmanCometh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks all!

Copacetic1

New

Post by Copacetic1 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:17 am

Go for it. I took it a 4th time and went from a 167 to 175 on my 4th try. Didnt seem to impact my cycle much. Although one of my tests was a cancel.

omegaomega

New

Post by omegaomega » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:38 am

Copacetic1 wrote:Go for it. I took it a 4th time and went from a 167 to 175 on my 4th try. Didnt seem to impact my cycle much. Although one of my tests was a cancel.
This is an encouraging story. Mind telling where did you go?

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:16 pm

omegaomega wrote:
Copacetic1 wrote:Go for it. I took it a 4th time and went from a 167 to 175 on my 4th try. Didnt seem to impact my cycle much. Although one of my tests was a cancel.
Jumping on this thread

I took dec11,june12,oct12 and I was able to register for dec12 with no problem through LSAC phone rep. I have my admissions ticket and it's all scheduled on LSAC's website. Should I be worried at all? The lady who registered me did not state anything is problematic and she clearly saw I took it 3 times prior to the next one in dec.

Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NightmanCometh

New

Post by NightmanCometh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Lear22 wrote:
omegaomega wrote:
Jumping on this thread

I took dec11,june12,oct12 and I was able to register for dec12 with no problem through LSAC phone rep. I have my admissions ticket and it's all scheduled on LSAC's website. Should I be worried at all? The lady who registered me did not state anything is problematic and she clearly saw I took it 3 times prior to the next one in dec.

Thanks.
Whoa! That's interesting....Did you have to give any reasons/extenuating circumstances of why u wanted to take it?

NightmanCometh

New

Post by NightmanCometh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Haha..maybe they are getting so strapped for cash with the decrease in test takers and whatnot that they are playing loose with the rules?

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 pm

NightmanCometh wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
omegaomega wrote:
Jumping on this thread

Thanks.
Whoa! That's interesting....Did you have to give any reasons/extenuating circumstances of why u wanted to take it?
Nope. Nothing. No questions or reasons. Should I be worried at all or the fact that I have the ticket all is okay?

Re: wanting the money -
Invalid. LSAC Fee waiver here....

NightmanCometh

New

Post by NightmanCometh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Lear22 wrote:
Hmm, not sure what to do in your case. The rules are here:

You may not take the LSAT more than three times in any two-year period. This policy applies even if you cancel your score or if your score is not otherwise reported. LSAC reserves the right to cancel your registration, rescind your admission ticket, or take any other steps necessary to enforce this policy.
For significant extenuating circumstances, exceptions to this policy may be made by LSAC. To request an exception, submit a signed, detailed explanation—along with verification, if possible—addressing the circumstances that you feel make you eligible to retake the LSAT and specify the date that you wish to test. E-mail your request as an attachment to LSACinfo@LSAC.org or send it by fax to 215.968.1277.
You will be notified by e-mail of approval or denial of your request. Be sure to submit your request well in advance of the regular registration deadline so that you can receive timely notification of our decision. Barring unforeseen circumstances, LSAC will respond within seven working days of its receipt. LSAC's decisions are final.

On one hand, I guess you passed the big hurdle-LSAC- and the schools won't care. On the other hand, if the LSAC ppl look at your app again and see that you didn't have your signed explanation, they might just rescind the test/score later on? Not sure how likely this is...guess you have to decide if you want to run with it or play it safe by contacting LSAC again and making sure that everything's kosher. The last thing you want is to ace the hell out of the upcoming test only to find it is invalid...

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:50 pm

NightmanCometh wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
Hmm, not sure what to do in your case. The rules are here:

You may not take the LSAT more than three times in any two-year period. This policy applies even if you cancel your score or if your score is not otherwise reported. LSAC reserves the right to cancel your registration, rescind your admission ticket, or take any other steps necessary to enforce this policy.
For significant extenuating circumstances, exceptions to this policy may be made by LSAC. To request an exception, submit a signed, detailed explanation—along with verification, if possible—addressing the circumstances that you feel make you eligible to retake the LSAT and specify the date that you wish to test. E-mail your request as an attachment to LSACinfo@LSAC.org or send it by fax to 215.968.1277.
You will be notified by e-mail of approval or denial of your request. Be sure to submit your request well in advance of the regular registration deadline so that you can receive timely notification of our decision. Barring unforeseen circumstances, LSAC will respond within seven working days of its receipt. LSAC's decisions are final.

On one hand, I guess you passed the big hurdle-LSAC- and the schools won't care. On the other hand, if the LSAC ppl look at your app again and see that you didn't have your signed explanation, they might just rescind the test/score later on? Not sure how likely this is...guess you have to decide if you want to run with it or play it safe by contacting LSAC again and making sure that everything's kosher. The last thing you want is to ace the hell out of the upcoming test only to find it is invalid...
I'm incline to roll with it. I think it's a better option than to stir the pot and ask too many questions. If anything, it's on LSAC and not on me, especially since I registered with a live person and not through the website i.e blaming it on a systematic error or something like that.

Edit: I also plan to send all my apps the day the dec score comes out so after that LSAC can do whatever it wants with my score

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”