Lateral from NY to San Francisco Big Law?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral from NY to San Francisco Big Law??

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:15 pm

Hey all! I'm about to start at a V50 firm in NY, and taking the NY Bar in 20 days. A lot of things have changed in the last few months, and it seems more and more likely that my partner will have to move to California for his work by summer of 2021 (when I would have finished just about a year at my firm). My NY firm does not have an office in San Francisco. What's the best strategy to move to San Francisco, and be able to successfully recruit as soon as possible? Thanks!

DiligentSage

New

Re: Lateral from NY to San Francisco Big Law??

Post by DiligentSage » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:13 am

What practice group are you entering in NY? A lot easier to map out how to make that transition if you know what you're targeting in the Bay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:40 am

Are you in corporate? If so, I'd sell this as a move to get into a top EC/VC practice. I'm a midlevel at one of Gunderson/Cooley/WSGR/Goodwin/Fenwick. We are busier than we've ever been and are literally hiring anyone with a pulse. That said, you're a first year, so people may look askance if you don't do a year at your firm before moving.

flyingeye

New

Post by flyingeye » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:40 am
Are you in corporate? If so, I'd sell this as a move to get into a top EC/VC practice. I'm a midlevel at one of Gunderson/Cooley/WSGR/Goodwin/Fenwick. We are busier than we've ever been and are literally hiring anyone with a pulse. That said, you're a first year, so people may look askance if you don't do a year at your firm before moving.
Any chance you’d be willing to PM me with more details about this? Also a NYer looking to lateral to SF but I’m a mid-level.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
That's really encouraging - yes, I'll be in corporate. When is too early to start contacting firms, and should I reach out directly even if I don't see openings online? Thanks a ton.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:10 pm

flyingeye wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Any chance you’d be willing to PM me with more details about this? Also a NYer looking to lateral to SF but I’m a mid-level.

PMed!

barkmittman

New

Post by barkmittman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 pm

flyingeye wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
PM me if you’re interested in doing PE M&A.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”