3.7 180 URM/Black Female with some history Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Xumbo

New

3.7 180 URM/Black Female with some history

Post by Xumbo » Thu May 23, 2024 12:24 am

What are my chances at T14, specifically HYS?

I was fortunate enough to score a 180 on my first try, but I'm not sure how much that will help me.

I took dual enrollment courses during high school, which caused my GPA to drop from 3.9 to 3.6. However, I'm taking some summer classes, and I believe I can bring it up to 3.7 in the next 2 semesters since I'm graduating in spring 2025. I'm also graduating 2 years earlier due to dual enrollment and financial issues. I'm unsure whether having a 3.7 GPA or staying an extra year to pursue a minor and aiming for a 3.8 GPA would be the better choice.

I don't have many extracurricular activities because of my job and school that keep me busy. However, I do have one small volunteer job as a tutor for refugee kids, helping them with their English. I don't know if that's significant but I was planning to write about this experience in my personal statement because I feel a strong connection to it, having been a refugee from a war-torn country myself.

I should also mention that I received a few W's during my first semester at my current UG. I initially enrolled in math and science courses, thinking it was what I wanted, but it caused me a lot of anxiety, so I withdrew from them and switched to different classes. Despite the withdrawals, I managed to achieve straight A's that semester, although my transcript shows about 7 withdrawals including those from dual enrollment. I later changed my major to one I liked and have been consistently earning straight A's, except one B+ since that semester.

VirginiaFan

New

Re: 3.7 180 URM/Black Female with some history

Post by VirginiaFan » Thu May 23, 2024 8:26 pm

Xumbo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:24 am

I was fortunate enough to score a 180 on my first try, but I'm not sure how much that will help me.

I took dual enrollment courses during high school, which caused my GPA to drop from 3.9 to 3.6. However, I'm taking some summer classes, and I believe I can bring it up to 3.7 in the next 2 semesters since I'm graduating in spring 2025. I'm also graduating 2 years earlier due to dual enrollment and financial issues. I'm unsure whether having a 3.7 GPA or staying an extra year to pursue a minor and aiming for a 3.8 GPA would be the better choice.

I don't have many extracurricular activities because of my job and school that keep me busy. However, I do have one small volunteer job as a tutor for refugee kids, helping them with their English. I don't know if that's significant but I was planning to write about this experience in my personal statement because I feel a strong connection to it, having been a refugee from a war-torn country myself.

I should also mention that I received a few W's during my first semester at my current UG. I initially enrolled in math and science courses, thinking it was what I wanted, but it caused me a lot of anxiety, so I withdrew from them and switched to different classes. Despite the withdrawals, I managed to achieve straight A's that semester, although my transcript shows about 7 withdrawals including those from dual enrollment. I later changed my major to one I liked and have been consistently earning straight A's, except one B+ since that semester.

Don't overthink this. You're a lock at H, and you have as good a shot as anyone at Y and S. Congrats! I would also recommend seriously considering a full ride at a t14--not having debt can open a world of options!

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Sun May 26, 2024 4:12 pm

Xumbo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:24 am

Does your school count your withdrawals in a "nonpunitive" manner? If not, then your LSAC GPA is probably much lower than the 3.7 estimate you have here. Source: https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-schoo ... marization#.

If so, then you'll probably get in everywhere. Go to Yale if you don't care about debt or can pay the tuition. Go to another T14 on a full-ride in the location where you want to live/practice if you're at all money conscious.

LawDude24

New

Post by LawDude24 » Thu May 30, 2024 11:15 am

I regularly helped military veterans apply to top schools who had a rough time at undergrad, then lived a whole bunch and did well on the LSAC (not as well as you!). They did just fine on getting into top law schools, but the key was their personal statement. You have to tell the story of how a brilliant woman overcame some unique challenges and is ready to take on the world. Don't feel like your letter should address "weaknesses" in your application. It shouldn't. It should celebrate the unique circumstances of your triumphs and explain why they prepared you to have the skills to persevere at school and in the law. Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”