3.99/177/nURM

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Post Reply
Hamotron

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:26 pm

3.99/177/nURM

Post by Hamotron » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:14 pm

I'm looking for a full ride to as highly ranked a school as possible. Considering UCLA's or BU's early decision program, but worried that would be selling myself short. Thoughts? I'm leaning toward corporate law, definitely no interest in PI-specific scholarships. I don't have notable WE but I will have an MA by the time I start law school.

crazywafflez

Bronze
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:38 am

Hamotron wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:14 pm
I'm looking for a full ride to as highly ranked a school as possible. Considering UCLA's or BU's early decision program, but worried that would be selling myself short. Thoughts? I'm leaning toward corporate law, definitely no interest in PI-specific scholarships. I don't have notable WE but I will have an MA by the time I start law school.
No reason to do UCLA or BU's programs unless you are fully married to those locations (and even then, I wouldn't suggest it). You are going to get a fullride or darn close to the lower T14, probs even decent scholarships to CCN. I think you are selling yourself short if you do ED to BU/UCLA. I really think you'll be getting somewhere near a fullride at Cornell, Duke, NW, Mich, UVA, etc., which I'd recommend you take. I think you are competitive for HYS (and I'd seriously consider Y if you got in). I think getting a really good scholarship at CCN isn't out of the cards for you either.
Best of luck.

Hamotron

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:26 pm

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by Hamotron » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:01 pm

Thank you! I think location-wise Boston could be where I want to end up, but I am concerned about BU potentially being less portable if I were to change my mind. I'm leaning toward trying for a full ride or close to at a higher-ranked school; I can always ED in a future year if that doesn't work out. Columbia would honestly be my first choice if I could pull a Hamilton, so if there's a chance I want to give that a try. I don't think I can stomach the upfront cost with Yale, but an A there would certainly be helpful in terms of negotiations so I probably will apply.

User avatar
hookem7

Bronze
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by hookem7 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:14 pm

Zero reason to apply early to UCLA/BU and, in my humble opinion, it would be a bad decision to do so. You should get full rides, named scholarships, or close to at those schools (and other better schools) on just regular decision. Doing ED removes all negotiating power and is almost never the right play. Under UCLA's ED program, you are agreeing to withdraw all applications if they simply admit you. What is their incentive in such a scenario to give you a full ride even if your numbers clearly merit it?

If for whatever reason the UCLAs of the world don't give you a hefty, hefty scholarship (or even waitlist you thinking a 3.99/177 is never actually coming), you just come back to them with big money from higher ranked schools, express your interest, and I would think they will be happy to offer the biggest number they can to get a candidate of your quality.

TTTTorbust

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:25 am

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by TTTTorbust » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:30 pm

What the others said, but I'll be more honest with you: you would be stupid to ED. If you attend either of these schools, it should be for free, and you should expect named scholarships at better schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Hamotron

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:26 pm

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by Hamotron » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:56 pm

To clarify, both schools have guaranteed full ride ED programs. That's the only reason I would do it.

CovidLurker

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:00 pm

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by CovidLurker » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:36 pm

Hamotron wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:56 pm
To clarify, both schools have guaranteed full ride ED programs. That's the only reason I would do it.
Yeah - don't do that. I got a 150K scholarship to NW with a 171 and 3.5 gpa.

TTTTorbust

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:25 am

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by TTTTorbust » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:32 pm

Hamotron wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:56 pm
To clarify, both schools have guaranteed full ride ED programs. That's the only reason I would do it.
Are either of those your number one choice? If so, still don't ED. You might feel differently with a Yale admit or money at Harvard or Stanford. If you choose to go to either school you might get waitlisted for yield but if you make it clear they are your number one choice you're almost certainly getting a full tuition scholarship. ED is not for a person with your numbers.

Hamotron

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:26 pm

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by Hamotron » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:52 pm

BU could potentially be, UCLA I'm not in love with moving to CA. I will not qualify for need-based aid and am not willing to take out full loans for HYS (although an A for negotiation purposes would be nice). I'm concerned about being YPed at lower-ranked schools that might give me a full ride if they knew that was what I wanted... I wish there were a way to communicate that to schools without official, binding ED programs. Thank you for the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


TTTTorbust

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:25 am

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by TTTTorbust » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:40 pm

Hamotron wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:52 pm
I wish there were a way to communicate that to schools without official, binding ED programs.
There is, such as saying as much in a 'Why X' essay. If you get waitlisted, you send a letter of continuing intent explaining that they are your number one choice, and then you enjoy your full ride at BU. I'm not sure why you assume you won't get money at H or S. Have you seen your numbers? Do you have a compelling reason to go to BU for free over any school in the T-14, half or more of which will be free? Is there some goal you have in mind? If generic big law, I have no idea why you'd choose BU over Penn of really anywhere in the T-14. If you want CA, UCLA makes some sense, but that doesn't seem to be the case, so I have a hard time making sense of your decision making thus far. You say corporate, so that seems to be Big Law. Do you simply not comprehend how good your numbers are? I understand that you don't want to spend money on law school, and with your numbers, you shouldn't. That said, you don't need to dip outside of the T-14 to do that. You are an exceptional applicant.

You understand the concept of YP, don't you think there's a reason these schools would look at you and waitlist you? If they look at you and say "no chance this applicant is coming here" it's because they know you can get half a dozen named scholarships at higher ranked schools and probably one or two of HYS if you so desire.

crazywafflez

Bronze
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:49 pm

I'd just re-echo what has been said above again: you are gonna be going to a place like Cornell or NW for free (maybe even CCN on a darn good scholarship)- there's no reason to do BU unless there's something particular to you.

nixy

Gold
Posts: 3442
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: 3.99/177/nURM

Post by nixy » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:03 pm

TTTTorbust wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:40 pm
I'm not sure why you assume you won't get money at H or S.
HYS don’t do merit aid, only need-based. So that’s why.

That said, I agree with the rest of what you said. OP, apply broadly across the T14 (and T20 if it makes you more comfortable), write compelling “why school X” essays, and profit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “What are my chances?”