3.1/167/Active Duty. Chicago/Secondary Market BL. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vonrus1

New

3.1/167/Active Duty. Chicago/Secondary Market BL.

Post by vonrus1 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:01 am

Afternoon, TLS.

As stated in the title, abysmal GPA and less than ideal LSAT. 8 years out of undergrad. Service ends just in time for the start of 2021 school year. Hoping to retake after this deployment finishes up in March to get off some anticipated waitlists, but for now 167 is what I'm using in my considerations.

Currently, JAG is #1 employment outcome, but should I change my mind I'd like to nab BL in Chicago or a smaller metro area with lower COL. Wouldn't need to be on the Cravath scale, 140k - 170k is fine. GI Bill is making my prospective debt load much smaller.

I've been planning for this since at least 2016, so I'm aware of most the admissions game's nuances. Just wanted to pop into TLS for that lovingly blunt advice.

Throwing apps at the following:

Michigan (lol)
NU (lol)
GULC (lol)
All of the 15-20
Minnesota
ND
GWU
Emory
UF
Fordham (Maybe something magically changes and I decide I want NYC)
Iowa
UCI
UNC
BC
UIUC
W&L
W&M
Washington

AS stated above, praying for waitlists from Vandy up and using a retake to snag an admit. Other than that, I believe NDLS is my best shot at accomplishing my goals. Before their new medians came out, I was figuring 50/50 at best. Now I'm not so sure. The rest aren't looking great, I'd need to be well above median.

The rest I'm assuming 60+ percent, but as a splitter I'm ready for a frustrating cycle.

What are we thinking? Is my assessment accurate? Am I sleeping on any other schools? I left off many of the large publics (OSU, UGA, Wisconsin) because I'm already applying to a stupid amount of schools.

Thanks in advance.

vonrus1

New

Re: 3.1/167/Active Duty. Chicago/Secondary Market BL.

Post by vonrus1 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:41 am

vonrus1 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:01 am
The rest aren't looking great, I'd need to be well above median.
By this, I mean well above class median to land BL.

007sean

New

Post by 007sean » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:54 pm

Where did you go to college ? What courses ?

vonrus1

New

Post by vonrus1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:42 am

007sean wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:54 pm
Where did you go to college ? What courses ?
State school in California. Liberal arts. Nothing approaching a difficult major. Definite upward trend, but even then my major GPA was only 3.6ish. Not expecting any kind of bump from that. I did write an addendum explaining how I was a fool as a young adult (true), how now at over 30 my mindset has changed drastically (also true), and how my service has focused me (also true).

MichiganHoosier

New

Post by MichiganHoosier » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:34 am

Hey!

I’d duplicate this post over at top-law-schools.com

This sub used to have a pretty thriving vet community, but most of them made the switch at the beginning of 2018 when something happened with TLS ownership.

I still think you’re really competitive for ND by the way. Just be sure to complement your application with one of the optional essays (why ND, different kind of lawyer).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MichiganHoosier

New

Post by MichiganHoosier » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:36 am

Wow....The link I provided automatically inserted TLS url after submitting. What nonsense.

l@w$ch00l.life

vonrus1

New

Post by vonrus1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:44 am

MichiganHoosier wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:34 am
Hey!

I’d duplicate this post over at top-law-schools.com

This sub used to have a pretty thriving vet community, but most of them made the switch at the beginning of 2018 when something happened with TLS ownership.

I still think you’re really competitive for ND by the way. Just be sure to complement your application with one of the optional essays (why ND, different kind of lawyer).
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I'm going to assume you mean top-law-schools.com? I'll do that today actually. I browse there now and again, I know big users like Nony and UVA2B made the jump when TLS ownership changed hands. Reddit was usually my go to, been around there for a while. Been blocked since we got into theater though.

And thanks for the NDLS bump. I'm definitely doing every optional essay. Their jump brought me from their 75th to their 50th, kinda spooked me. As I understand it, however, they cut class size by a good chunk. Hopefully that isn't the beginning of a trend.

vonrus1

New

Post by vonrus1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:47 am

MichiganHoosier wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:36 am
Wow....The link I provided automatically inserted TLS url after submitting. What nonsense.

l@w$ch00l.life
Yeah just noticed that. Happened to me too. Thought it was strange you'd type out the whole URL to this forum lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”