3.72/168URM Money at Vandy, T-14's, etc. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Undecided06

New

3.72/168URM Money at Vandy, T-14's, etc.

Post by Undecided06 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Hey all,

Little bit about me: I am a Central American Immigrant, went to a top 15 national research university, have a 3.72UGPA and a 168 LSAT.

I want to be a plaintiff's side labor and employment lawyer in Nashville, Tennessee. My top choice is Vanderbilt because of location.

Here's my current list:

Reach: Columbia, Duke,U Michigan, Northwestern, UC Berkeley,.

Target: Vanderbilt, UCLA, Georgetown, UT Austin.

Safety: U of TN Knoxville, Emory, University of Miami and Boston U.

How much money can I expect to get at these places?

Thank you so SO much for your input!

ilovemang0s

New

Re: 3.72/168URM Money at Vandy, T-14's, etc.

Post by ilovemang0s » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:06 pm

I do not think you are a URM. Traditionally, URM is defined as Puerto Rican, African American, Mexican, and Native American.

This is because these populations are underrepresented in law schools when considering their population in the US.

Because, for example, there aren't as many El Salvardorans in the US, it's less the case that they are underepresented in law schools because there are not that many in the US to begin with--at least compared to Mexicans, African Americans, etc.

It's generally the case that people like from Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Nicaragua, etc. are not considered URM for law school admissions because their populations in the US are not as significant as Mexicans and African Americans, and thus are not considered as underrepresented when compared to Mexicans and African Americans.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:42 am

ilovemang0s wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:06 pm
I do not think you are a URM. Traditionally, URM is defined as Puerto Rican, African American, Mexican, and Native American.
This is a little Procrustean IMO. There are millions of people of Central American heritage in the U.S., and they are most certainly underrepresented in the legal profession and higher education generally. OP isn't a rich white person from Argentina/Brazil (i.e., overrepresented in top U.S. universities), which your analysis would make more sense for. It's not like adcomms draw a bright line at the Mexico-Guatemala border.

OP, I can't guarantee you'll outperform their numbers, but I bet you have decent T14 chances and should be a very appealing candidate for Vandy. Your school list seems good, except that BU seems a little random. If you can afford it, I'd honestly consider adding a couple more T14s (Cornell/UVA) just to roll the dice on those.

Undecided06

New

Post by Undecided06 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Thanks a lot, y'all!

I'm from Guatemala. We are politically persecuted and extremely underrepresented in law schools-- I hope admissions officers will keep that in mind. In any case, I appreciate your input!

Thanks, LSAT Airbender. I'll add those to my list!

ilovemang0s

New

Post by ilovemang0s » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:18 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:42 am
ilovemang0s wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:06 pm
This is a little Procrustean IMO. There are millions of people of Central American heritage in the U.S., and they are most certainly underrepresented in the legal profession and higher education generally. OP isn't a rich white person from Argentina/Brazil (i.e., overrepresented in top U.S. universities), which your analysis would make more sense for. It's not like adcomms draw a bright line at the Mexico-Guatemala border.

OP, I can't guarantee you'll outperform their numbers, but I bet you have decent T14 chances and should be a very appealing candidate for Vandy. Your school list seems good, except that BU seems a little random. If you can afford it, I'd honestly consider adding a couple more T14s (Cornell/UVA) just to roll the dice on those.
According to your logic, would Vietnamese refugees be URM? How about Cambodians? Thai? Refugees from Burma?

There's a decent Southeast Asian population in the US, and we're also underrepresented in the legal profession and higher education. We're more known for opening up nail salons making ends meat than working as lawyers.

I'm pretty sure we're not URM.

How about Uighur Muslims from Xinjiang, China?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:34 am

Hey, I'm hispanic / middle eastern minority (i.e. not an arab) that was persecuted and still is- I'm not a URM. I don't think they'll count you as one but you'll still get a boost. I think you'll get into Vandy. Not sure what your package will be. I had a lower LSAT than you and got a full ride to UTk. No idea if you'll break into the T14- I didn't, but again, my score was lower. I think Gtown could bite; apply broadly to the lower t14 schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”