Chances at YLS/SLS

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
2and20

New

Chances at YLS/SLS

Post by 2and20 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:35 pm

LSAT: 178
uGPA: 3.96
Grad GPA: 5.0/5.0

Earned a Master in/of Finance from a top program(think MIT/Princeton). I've completed internships at two venture capital funds during undergrad and did a stint as a summer analsyt at a bulge bracket investment bank during my time at grad school. I have pretty good softs from my days at undergrad(VP at two clubs, student senate, significant volunteering experience etc.)

Additional Question:
Do you think an Mfin diminishes or increases my likelihood of acceptance at SLS/YLS?

logan3000

New

Re: Chances at YLS/SLS

Post by logan3000 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:25 am

seriously? of course you have a good chance.

nobody’s a lock but you’re as set as can be without being like a Rhodes Scholar or child of a former President or whatever.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:13 am

You have a good shot; with your softs I legitimately think you might be happier at HLS.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 am

Your softs are meh, but you've got as good a shot as any non-URM K-JD applying to YLS/SLS, and both schools admit plenty of em.

You should be a lock at Harvard. I'd seriously consider a JD-MBA there or at SLS.

2and20

New

Post by 2and20 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:20 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:13 am
You have a good shot; with your softs I legitimately think you might be happier at HLS.
Why is that? Better culture fit?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2and20

New

Post by 2and20 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:35 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 am
Your softs are meh, but you've got as good a shot as any non-URM K-JD applying to YLS/SLS, and both schools admit plenty of em.

You should be a lock at Harvard. I'd seriously consider a JD-MBA there or at SLS.
A JD/MBA from H/S is massively appealing, however, do you think the extra year would be worth the debt/opportunity cost?

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:14 pm

2and20 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:20 pm
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:13 am
Why is that? Better culture fit?
I think cultural differences among the T14 are overstated, but structurally Harvard is pretty awesome for a finance/PE-oriented person. The business school is a lot of that, but also the sheer size of the alumni network, which means more penetration into non-legal fields. Stanford/Chicago/Columbia all also have that business bent too, of course, so don't take me too seriously.

JD/MBA makes sense if you have a specific plan in mind for making use of it. IB/VC/PE/HF stuff is one of the areas where it can add value.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:47 pm

2and20 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:35 pm
LBJ's Hair wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 am

A JD/MBA from H/S is massively appealing, however, do you think the extra year would be worth the debt/opportunity cost?
I wouldn't do it just to take a few business school classes and get drunk with your MBA buddies before heading to a Skadden or Kirkland or w/e. But if you're interested in eventually transitioning to a non-legal role/want the legal education but don't want to be a lawyer, then sure.

Since this is "massively appealing" to you, think you've answered your own question as to cost-benefit

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”