3.8/177

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LandCrabLaw

New

3.8/177

Post by LandCrabLaw » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:01 pm

What would you guys say are my chances for T3 and T6 schools (plus named scholarships at T14). I'm a non-urm KJD. Two law related summer internships and one big law related extracurricular.

dvlthndr

Bronze

Re: 3.8/177

Post by dvlthndr » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:40 am

You are competitive at Yale and Stanford. You probably have at least 50/50 at Harvard. I would be surprised if you weren’t offered some money at one of the CCN school (e.g., a half-tuition scholarship if not more), and a full ride at one or more other schools in the T14.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:13 am

Agreed with dvlthndr that nothing's off the table and you're almost certainly in at CCN. As for named scholarships, it's a bit of a black box, but I'd put some effort into the "Why X" for those schools outside T6 (Michigan and UVA come to mind) that have a prestigious named scholarship.

SpikeSeagull

New

Post by SpikeSeagull » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:25 am

LandCrabLaw wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:01 pm
What would you guys say are my chances for T3 and T6 schools (plus named scholarships at T14). I'm a non-urm KJD. Two law related summer internships and one big law related extracurricular.
I had identical stats and got waitlisted at H and S, denied at Yale, and half tuition offers at CCN.

LandCrabLaw

New

Post by LandCrabLaw » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:40 am

SpikeSeagull wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:25 am
LandCrabLaw wrote:
I had identical stats and got waitlisted at H and S, denied at Yale, and half tuition offers at CCN.
Which cycle did you apply in? Was it particularly competitive like the upcoming one is supposed to be?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SpikeSeagull

New

Post by SpikeSeagull » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 am

LandCrabLaw wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:40 am
SpikeSeagull wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:25 am
LandCrabLaw wrote:
Which cycle did you apply in? Was it particularly competitive like the upcoming one is supposed to be?
This was 2015-16. Seems like it was somewhat more competitive at the top (judging by increase in LSAT scores year-to-year), but not like this is going to be.

LandCrabLaw

New

Post by LandCrabLaw » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:55 am

dvlthndr wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:40 am
You are competitive at Yale and Stanford. You probably have at least 50/50 at Harvard. I would be surprised if you weren’t offered some money at one of the CCN school (e.g., a half-tuition scholarship if not more), and a full ride at one or more other schools in the T14.
I'm competitive at Y/S even though I'm ~25th for GPA? I mean I know both of them are less predictable than other schools but my unremarkable personal story (middle class, no real adversity) makes me feel inadequate for those two.

LandCrabLaw

New

Post by LandCrabLaw » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:59 am

decimalsanddollars wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:13 am
Agreed with dvlthndr that nothing's off the table and you're almost certainly in at CCN. As for named scholarships, it's a bit of a black box, but I'd put some effort into the "Why X" for those schools outside T6 (Michigan and UVA come to mind) that have a prestigious named scholarship.
I'm writing a why x for all of the schools that ask for one plus UVA since I heard they like one despite not asking for one. Hopefully they're good enough! So you don't think 3.8 is too low for named scholarships?

dvlthndr

Bronze

Post by dvlthndr » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:50 pm

LandCrabLaw wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:55 am
dvlthndr wrote:
I'm competitive at Y/S even though I'm ~25th for GPA? I mean I know both of them are less predictable than other schools but my unremarkable personal story (middle class, no real adversity) makes me feel inadequate for those two.

"Competitive" means you should apply because you have meaningful non-zero chance of getting in. For example, lawschoolnumbers shows non-URM candidates getting into Yale last cycle with a 3.83/176 and a 3.8/178 (both below that 25% cutoff). You shouldn't get your hopes up, but you could always get lucky.

Regarding you personal story, it certainly helps to be a Tri-Lingual Rhodes Scholar who cured cancer. But most students at top schools (even Yale and Stanford) have much more "modest" accomplishments. Take pride in what you've done, and don't kick yourself for "only" doing two internships and a Big Law extracurricular. It's hard to imagine how a K-JD could do much more than that.

LandCrabLaw

New

Post by LandCrabLaw » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:26 pm

dvlthndr wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:50 pm
LandCrabLaw wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:55 am
dvlthndr wrote:

"Competitive" means you should apply because you have meaningful non-zero chance of getting in. For example, lawschoolnumbers shows non-URM candidates getting into Yale last cycle with a 3.83/176 and a 3.8/178 (both below that 25% cutoff). You shouldn't get your hopes up, but you could always get lucky.

Regarding you personal story, it certainly helps to be a Tri-Lingual Rhodes Scholar who cured cancer. But most students at top schools (even Yale and Stanford) have much more "modest" accomplishments. Take pride in what you've done, and don't kick yourself for "only" doing two internships and a Big Law extracurricular. It's hard to imagine how a K-JD could do much more than that.
Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I realize I made a mistake in my post. I didn't mean to imply I did a "Big Law" extracurricular. I did a big (as in a big time and effort commitment) law related extracurricular. Nothing to do with big law whoops ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”