167/3.9high ED UChicago? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wooooooooop

New

167/3.9high ED UChicago?

Post by wooooooooop » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:01 pm

Hey all, I hope you're doing well!

I received a 167 on the Feb. LSAT and unfortunately did not improve on the June one. I'll give the LSAT one more go, but assuming I can't improve past the 167, would it be better for me to apply ED to UChicago with my GPA? Or would I have a decent shot at RD at UChicago along with some other T14 schools like Duke/UVA/Penn/NYU?

Thanks!

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: 167/3.9high ED UChicago?

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:55 am

I'd generally say not to do ED anywhere, but I don't have info as to whether that makes a difference at UChicago specifically. The main costs of ED are the money you'd leave on the table at other, equally good or better schools, and the removal of incentives for your target school to give any merit-based aid. If you happen to be ok with that and just really want to pay sticker at Chicago (which I guess is a tacit acknowledgement that you don't have a shot at HYS), ED might be a decent choice. Be sure to look into whether the school mentions ED improving (or not affecting) applicants' chances. If the school expressly says that ED does not mean better chances, don't apply ED.

I would recommend blanketing the T13 (at least below HYS, possibly with a shoot-the-moon app at one or more of them) and bracing for mixed results. You're a "reverse splitter," so depending on what kind of applications a school is getting in any given year, they may favor you more than your LSAT would warrant or disfavor you more than your GPA would warrant. My guess is that you'd get scholarship money at a couple lower t14s and acceptance to a few more.

wooooooooop

New

Post by wooooooooop » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:07 pm

Thank you for the reply!

I do realize that where I stand now, I have a very small chance of admission at HYS. Chicago does give an advantage to students who apply ED. Knowing that, do you think I should still do ED at Chicago? I'm also considering ED at a place like Duke or Penn. I'm worried that if I don't do ED anywhere, I won't have much of a chance at the T14 with my LSAT score. From what I've read, there's not many differences in employment outcomes from these schools correct?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:21 pm

wooooooooop wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:07 pm
I'm worried that if I don't do ED anywhere, I won't have much of a chance at the T14 with my LSAT score.
Where are you seeing evidence that ED will affect your chances at these schools? And do you have an extra $300k lying around?

wooooooooop

New

Post by wooooooooop » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:29 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:21 pm
wooooooooop wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:07 pm
I'm worried that if I don't do ED anywhere, I won't have much of a chance at the T14 with my LSAT score.
Where are you seeing evidence that ED will affect your chances at these schools? And do you have an extra $300k lying around?
Chicago's ED FAQs discusses it a little bit here: https://www.law.uchicago.edu/jdfaq/earlydecision

Yeah hahaha, I would definitely need to take out loans. I am a Texas resident and I'm doing my undergrad here so UT is another school I'm looking into. If biglaw is the goal, would Chicago or Duke offer an advantage over UT because of their prestige?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:55 pm

https://mylsn.info/78720d/

ED is almost never a helpful move. You have a decent shot at UC RD as-is. Blanket apply to Harvard through UT as soon as the application window opens (or as soon as you get your next LSAT score back).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Yeah, I would read that Chicago FAQ a little more closely. They never say that it will help make up for sub-par stats (they actually say the opposite).

You should blanket the T13 and not ED anywhere that doesn't offer a guaranteed full scholarship with ED admission.

wooooooooop

New

Post by wooooooooop » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:37 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the help everyone! I'll just blanket the T13 and hope I get at least one or a couple of acceptances.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”