The Next Elle Woods?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thedragon5678

New

The Next Elle Woods?

Post by thedragon5678 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:13 am

GPA: 3.66
LSAT: 175
Top Choices: Harvard, Columbia, NYU
Area of Interest: International, Human Rights
Degree: Anthropology and Psychology
Work Experience: 6 months as an operations assistant, 2+ years interning at small family law firm, self published author, NICU volunteer

cavalier1138

Re: The Next Elle Woods?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:05 am

You're short of Elle's stats, but you'll still have good options.

But what is your actual question? MyLSN will give you a fairly accurate picture of your chances at any school, and you don't appear to have any extraordinary factors that would impact admissions.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu May 07, 2020 5:39 pm

https://mylsn.info/oncbtx/

Looks like okay chances at Harvard, not-great chances at Chicago/Penn/UVA (each of which tends to be picky about grades), and good chances at the rest of the T14. I feel obligated to warn you, though, that law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious.

thedragon5678

New

Post by thedragon5678 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:27 pm

Just to clarify: What would you consider my odds to be at NYU, Columbia, and Harvard?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:You're short of Elle's stats, but you'll still have good options.

But what is your actual question? MyLSN will give you a fairly accurate picture of your chances at any school, and you don't appear to have any extraordinary factors that would impact admissions.
Maybe OP is planning to submit a headshot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Thu May 07, 2020 8:13 pm

thedragon5678 wrote:Just to clarify: What would you consider my odds to be at NYU, Columbia, and Harvard?
decimalsanddollars wrote: https://mylsn.info/oncbtx/
It's impossible to know for certain. MyLSN tends to be fairly accurate at predicting admits for students with stats around each school's median because there's a fairly large sample size, but it gets a little less predictive for splitters. You're a mild-splitter at the upper T13.

But to answer your question, of the small pool of myLSNers with your stats over the past 4 cycles, 89% were admitted at NYU, 79% at CLS, and 50% at HLS.

Spend the summer getting all of your materials ready, reviewed, and perfect. Make sure you have recommenders who can writing glowingly about you. There's a major advantage to early applying, so you should strive to have everything ready to submit the week the application windows open.

You're <25% GPA, so don't get tunnel vision on HCCN. Blanket the T13, or at least Y-D. You have some unicorn goals, but even with those in mind Michigan or Duke w/$$$ might make more sense than CLS or NYU (sticker). And I don't think it's impossible that you get a Y or S admit.

thedragon5678

New

Post by thedragon5678 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 pm

Thank you to everyone replying :D
I calculated my GPA wrong, its 3.72 :oops:
Hope you guys are staying healthy during these wild times :)

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri May 08, 2020 9:50 am

thedragon5678 wrote:Thank you to everyone replying :D
I calculated my GPA wrong, its 3.72 :oops:
Hope you guys are staying healthy during these wild times :)
Kind of perplexed at how you miscalculated it. Do you have your LSAC GPA yet, or are you weighing GPAs from multiple transcripts? The info we have, and my advice, assumes you're giving your LSAC GPA, which could be lower (or in some cases higher) than your transcript GPA.

Updated myLSN output: https://mylsn.info/t1gg9s/

Looks like crossing the 3.7 line helps a ton at HCCN, but bear in mind the sample for your data is small. I highly recommend you apply broadly---blanket the T14 (and apply to Yale and Stanford if you really want to maximize your options). This will give you more opportunity for a meaningful choice when it comes time to decide where to go, as well as negotiation leverage to get peer schools to increase scholarship offers.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri May 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Obligatory word of caution regarding OP's stated "international, human rights" interests. Does that mean "international human rights", or does it mean "international law" and/or "human rights"?

if it means "international human rights", are you fluent in any languages other than English? Arabic would be ideal. Native African language(s), French and Portuguese if you're specifically interested in the corresponding African countries/regions would also be helpful. Do you have any previous international work experience?

If international human rights is your raison d'etre for law school, attend Yale or Harvard if at all possible, or at least a T6, and even then, seriously think about what else you might be happy doing should you fail to secure an international human rights position (which is entirely possible even from Yale Law).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”