Chances at T13 & UT Given Splitter

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BigLawBoi

New

Chances at T13 & UT Given Splitter

Post by BigLawBoi » Tue May 05, 2020 7:44 am

I am here to have my palms read! Here is a link to LSN webpage, figure that can provide a little bit more detail on the softs. As for the hards(?):

uGPA: 3.61
LSAT: 172

Achieved before the Flex-LSAT, and will be applying next cycle should the corona-gods be kind to Law Schools. I, unlike apparently man posting in this sub-section, do not have hopes for HYS. Chicago is the dream from CCN, but given my GPA, and knowing they are sticklers for GPA, I understand that Chicago is a pipe dream.

Preferred legal market is only limited by eventual job availability in Biglaw/Commercial Law.

cavalier1138

Re: Chances at T13 & UT Given Splitter

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:38 am

You're not that much of a splitter (to the extent you're a splitter at all) at most T13 schools. It looks like you have a good shot from CCN on down, with lower chances at more GPA-conscious schools like Chicago, Penn, and Cornell.

I wouldn't bother with UT unless you're specifically drawn to Texas. You'll have better options with your numbers.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Tue May 05, 2020 9:08 am

BigLawBoi wrote:I am here to have my palms read! Here is a link to LSN webpage, figure that can provide a little bit more detail on the softs. As for the hards(?):

uGPA: 3.61
LSAT: 172

Achieved before the Flex-LSAT, and will be applying next cycle should the corona-gods be kind to Law Schools. I, unlike apparently man posting in this sub-section, do not have hopes for HYS. Chicago is the dream from CCN, but given my GPA, and knowing they are sticklers for GPA, I understand that Chicago is a pipe dream.

Preferred legal market is only limited by eventual job availability in Biglaw/Commercial Law.
If your main goal is BL and you're flexible on markets, then you should go to a T13. With your stats, you're likely to get multiple T13 acceptances. And you might get more money out of NYU or Michigan than GULC or UT. https://mylsn.info/lccy0b/. I agree that HYS is probably out. As you can see, you're not a stone-cold lock for admission or $$ anywhere in the T13. To boost your chances of each, you should 1) apply broadly & 2) apply early.

See this thread for discussion about the relative merits and career outcomes of a T20 v. T13 in a downturn: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=305408

So here's the advice: Spend this summer getting all of your materials ready, including well-crafted "Why X's" for schools that care about them (e.g. NYU, UVA, Penn). You should then blanket apply early (Sep-early Nov) to CCN through GULC. You should also apply to any T20s that are in markets where would be interested in working long-term.

Side note: The reasons the standard advice on these fora is to apply broadly is because 1) law school is an investment, not a college experience. Fit doesn't matter - career outcomes do. So no matter how much an applicant hates Ithaca or Durham or New York, someone generally competitive for the T13 should apply everywhere below HYS. Frequently there are people who simply apply to 1-3 schools where it would be fun to live, or don't apply to Northwestern because they don't like deep-dish pizza, and they leave far better career and scholarship outcomes off the table. 2) Even if you would never go to, say Michigan, you should still apply. If they offer you aid, you can use their aid offer to negotiate up the scholarship offers at peer and lower-ranked schools that have admitted you.

BigLawBoi

New

Post by BigLawBoi » Wed May 06, 2020 6:22 am

cavalier1138 wrote:You're not that much of a splitter (to the extent you're a splitter at all) at most T13 schools. It looks like you have a good shot from CCN on down, with lower chances at more GPA-conscious schools like Chicago, Penn, and Cornell.

I wouldn't bother with UT unless you're specifically drawn to Texas. You'll have better options with your numbers.
A reply from Mod Cavalier himself, I am truly honored! Thanks for the advice.
AdieuCali wrote:
If your main goal is BL and you're flexible on markets, then you should go to a T13. With your stats, you're likely to get multiple T13 acceptances. And you might get more money out of NYU or Michigan than GULC or UT. https://mylsn.info/lccy0b/. I agree that HYS is probably out. As you can see, you're not a stone-cold lock for admission or $$ anywhere in the T13. To boost your chances of each, you should 1) apply broadly & 2) apply early.

See this thread for discussion about the relative merits and career outcomes of a T20 v. T13 in a downturn: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=305408

So here's the advice: Spend this summer getting all of your materials ready, including well-crafted "Why X's" for schools that care about them (e.g. NYU, UVA, Penn). You should then blanket apply early (Sep-early Nov) to CCN through GULC. You should also apply to any T20s that are in markets where would be interested in working long-term.

Side note: The reasons the standard advice on these fora is to apply broadly is because 1) law school is an investment, not a college experience. Fit doesn't matter - career outcomes do. So no matter how much an applicant hates Ithaca or Durham or New York, someone generally competitive for the T13 should apply everywhere below HYS. Frequently there are people who simply apply to 1-3 schools where it would be fun to live, or don't apply to Northwestern because they don't like deep-dish pizza, and they leave far better career and scholarship outcomes off the table. 2) Even if you would never go to, say Michigan, you should still apply. If they offer you aid, you can use their aid offer to negotiate up the scholarship offers at peer and lower-ranked schools that have admitted you.
Luckily I think all pizza variations are great. Great advice regarding Michigan and just generally apply broadly and thanks for the link discussing T20 v T13. Very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”