Waitlisted at Chicago, does this mean i'm done at HYS? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tenpercent

New

Waitlisted at Chicago, does this mean i'm done at HYS?

Post by tenpercent » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Hey everyone. I was waitlisted by U Chicago (I interviewed) and I was wondering if anyone knows if this usually means I'm out at the top 3. My only acceptance so far is to Michigan ($$$-$$$$). I have also been waitlisted at Northwestern and rejected at UT. Thank you for any input!
3.8, 172, combat vet, URM (MA).

cavalier1138

Re: Waitlisted at Chicago, does this mean i'm done at HYS?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:29 pm

That Northwestern WL is almost certainly yield protection. I'm a little surprised by the Chicago waitlist, and I wouldn't count yourself out anywhere with those numbers as a URM.

Is there anything else in your application that might raise red flags (C&F issues, etc.)?

tenpercent

New

Post by tenpercent » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:40 pm

cavalier1138 wrote: Is there anything else in your application that might raise red flags (C&F issues, etc.)?
No, nothing at all and I am fairly confident that my LOR's are strong. Thank you for replying! I was a bit shocked by the WL honestly, especially since I interviewed and thought it went well.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:04 pm

Don't read too much into an individual waitlist. It's literally a sample size of one. Plenty of people get accepted into school X and waitlisted/rejected from lower-ranked school Y. Rejected at UT is downright surprising, though, with your numbers.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:59 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:Don't read too much into an individual waitlist. It's literally a sample size of one. Plenty of people get accepted into school X and waitlisted/rejected from lower-ranked school Y. Rejected at UT is downright surprising, though, with your numbers.
Maybe I'm overly-optimistic, but OP's profile looks like an H lock and very good Y/S. And s/he was already admitted to UMich with major $.

I'd attribute all of this to yield protection---OP has a great profile even without the softs, and throw that in... UT looked at it and said we've never actually had anyone with OP's profile attend, and NW/C figured if OP didn't get in to HYS, s/he'd email them saying s/he was still interested, and they can admit next day.

Interview might've been to suss out whether you had an interest in Chicago specifically---if you did, they could throw a Ruby at you, if not, figured you'd end up at HYS, save it for someone more gettable.

Wouldn't sweat it, OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

antelope

New

Post by antelope » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:07 pm

OP, those waitlists are most likely yield protection, but you should still have a good shot a YHS. Have you gotten a JS1 from Harvard yet?

Also, having that offer from Michigan is great, you should feel proud of that accomplishment. Don't forget many people would love to be in the position of attending Michigan with such scholarship.

Best of luck during the rest of the cycle

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:54 am

Fwiw, I'm aware of someone who was waitlisted by Chicago, then accepted by one of HYS, then got the Ruby off the waitlist at Chicago.

metallergy

New

Post by metallergy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:53 am

Don't count yourself out at Harvard -- there have been more than a few folks who have gotten late JS1s/JS2s following a Chi WL this cycle (and I imagine the same has happened in previous cycles as well.)

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:04 am

metallergy wrote:Don't count yourself out at Harvard -- there have been more than a few folks who have gotten late JS1s/JS2s following a Chi WL this cycle (and I imagine the same has happened in previous cycles as well.)
Harvard glutting on Chicago's table scraps, as usual :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tenpercent

New

Post by tenpercent » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:06 pm

antelope wrote:OP, those waitlists are most likely yield protection, but you should still have a good shot a YHS. Have you gotten a JS1 from Harvard yet?

Also, having that offer from Michigan is great, you should feel proud of that accomplishment. Don't forget many people would love to be in the position of attending Michigan with such scholarship.

Best of luck during the rest of the cycle
Nope, I haven't gotten JS1 yet, but that is probably my fault. I applied in late January.

tenpercent

New

Post by tenpercent » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:18 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
The Lsat Airbender wrote:Don't read too much into an individual waitlist. It's literally a sample size of one. Plenty of people get accepted into school X and waitlisted/rejected from lower-ranked school Y. Rejected at UT is downright surprising, though, with your numbers.
Maybe I'm overly-optimistic, but OP's profile looks like an H lock and very good Y/S. And s/he was already admitted to UMich with major $.

I'd attribute all of this to yield protection---OP has a great profile even without the softs, and throw that in... UT looked at it and said we've never actually had anyone with OP's profile attend, and NW/C figured if OP didn't get in to HYS, s/he'd email them saying s/he was still interested, and they can admit next day.

Interview might've been to suss out whether you had an interest in Chicago specifically---if you did, they could throw a Ruby at you, if not, figured you'd end up at HYS, save it for someone more gettable.

Wouldn't sweat it, OP.
I like your optimism.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:21 pm

tenpercent wrote:I applied in late January.
This explains a ton about your situation. I know it's hard to wait till April but you truly have nothing to worry about until you hear back from the whole T14.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:24 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
tenpercent wrote:I applied in late January.
This explains a ton about your situation. I know it's hard to wait till April but you truly have nothing to worry about until you hear back from the whole T14.
Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

iar

New

Post by iar » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:21 pm

I was WL from Chicago (no interview) but got into H.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”