What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Post Reply
mh80

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:54 pm

What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by mh80 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Can I get into Columbia or NYU? I just applied day after I got January LSAT back. Medium softs, 2 years work exp

decimalsanddollars

Bronze
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:26 pm

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:20 pm

Chances would have been better earlier on obviously, but your chances of admission are pretty great. Depending on a lot of other factors outside of your control, though, your scholarship draw will probably be worse than if you had applied in the fall.

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2526
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 pm

Your chances are please reapply next year. You'll probably get a good scholarship at either of those schools with your numbers if you apply earlier in the cycle. It's not worth giving that up to start school fall 2020 as opposed to fall 2021.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:28 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Your chances are please reapply next year. You'll probably get a good scholarship at either of those schools with your numbers if you apply earlier in the cycle. It's not worth giving that up to start school fall 2020 as opposed to fall 2021.
Strongly agree. You're in great shape for half-tuition, at least -- in other words, paying yourself like $100,000 and maybe way more than that (in after-tax money) to literally just wait a year.

lawguy999

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by lawguy999 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:52 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:28 pm
Dcc617 wrote:Your chances are please reapply next year. You'll probably get a good scholarship at either of those schools with your numbers if you apply earlier in the cycle. It's not worth giving that up to start school fall 2020 as opposed to fall 2021.
Strongly agree. You're in great shape for half-tuition, at least -- in other words, paying yourself like $100,000 and maybe way more than that (in after-tax money) to literally just wait a year.
Is it really that much? As in... the Butler? Can I also expect something similar with a 3.71/175?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


replevin123

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:50 am

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by replevin123 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 pm

mentioned it in another thread, but back when I applied I had a 174-176 and 3.7x and scored a Ruby/Hamilton (applied as soon as December LSAT scores came out, first week of January). You are probably good enough for a Butler or at least like 100k at Chicago. If you don't get that now, definitely wait and possibly retake if you are confident (confident=you are really shooting for 180 and happen to miss a couple).

lawguy999

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by lawguy999 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:56 pm

replevin123 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 pm
mentioned it in another thread, but back when I applied I had a 174-176 and 3.7x and scored a Ruby/Hamilton (applied as soon as December LSAT scores came out, first week of January). You are probably good enough for a Butler or at least like 100k at Chicago. If you don't get that now, definitely wait and possibly retake if you are confident (confident=you are really shooting for 180 and happen to miss a couple).
You're kidding? Are you a URM..? No way I've got a shot at that with a 3.71 and 175 (especially with no softs)? I wasn't sure if I'd even get any money at all, tbh...

replevin123

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:50 am

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by replevin123 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:46 pm

[EDIT] I blended OP and the lawguy in my response, so correcting here. yes URM, very solid work experience, STEM major from a good school. Lawguy: 3.71 is not a 3.8, so idk. Lack of softs will depend on what that means. OP at least had work experience. 175 is great. You should have a good shot at HLS. Again I would say half tuition at the minimum if you get HLS and leverage. Ruby/Hamilton might be out of reach, but $$ at CC is still a great outcome depending on your goals

lawguy999

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by lawguy999 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 pm

replevin123 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:46 pm
[EDIT] I blended OP and the lawguy in my response, so correcting here. yes URM, very solid work experience, STEM major from a good school. Lawguy: 3.71 is not a 3.8, so idk. Lack of softs will depend on what that means. OP at least had work experience. 175 is great. You should have a good shot at HLS. Again I would say half tuition at the minimum if you get HLS and leverage. Ruby/Hamilton might be out of reach, but $$ at CC is still a great outcome depending on your goals
Doubt I have a "good shot" at HLS with next year's competitive cycle, my low GPA, and my lack of softs, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


replevin123

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:50 am

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by replevin123 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:54 pm

lawguy999 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 pm
replevin123 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:46 pm
[EDIT] I blended OP and the lawguy in my response, so correcting here. yes URM, very solid work experience, STEM major from a good school. Lawguy: 3.71 is not a 3.8, so idk. Lack of softs will depend on what that means. OP at least had work experience. 175 is great. You should have a good shot at HLS. Again I would say half tuition at the minimum if you get HLS and leverage. Ruby/Hamilton might be out of reach, but $$ at CC is still a great outcome depending on your goals
Doubt I have a "good shot" at HLS with next year's competitive cycle, my low GPA, and my lack of softs, no?
Idk. I'm just offering a data point and some thoughts from talking with others. Are you looking at offers now to attend this cycle and need to decide immediately or just wondering? a 175 is great and HLS doesn't pass on too many of those with solid GPAs, it's a numbers game and it's a huge school. Best of luck

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2526
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:34 pm

For what it's worth, I got into Harvard a few years ago with a 3.72 and 176.

lawguy999

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by lawguy999 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:34 pm
For what it's worth, I got into Harvard a few years ago with a 3.72 and 176.
Interesting. But aren't higher LSAT scores becoming far more common? Also, I have no softs.

lawguy999

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by lawguy999 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:44 pm

replevin123 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:54 pm
lawguy999 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 pm
replevin123 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:46 pm
[EDIT] I blended OP and the lawguy in my response, so correcting here. yes URM, very solid work experience, STEM major from a good school. Lawguy: 3.71 is not a 3.8, so idk. Lack of softs will depend on what that means. OP at least had work experience. 175 is great. You should have a good shot at HLS. Again I would say half tuition at the minimum if you get HLS and leverage. Ruby/Hamilton might be out of reach, but $$ at CC is still a great outcome depending on your goals
Doubt I have a "good shot" at HLS with next year's competitive cycle, my low GPA, and my lack of softs, no?
Idk. I'm just offering a data point and some thoughts from talking with others. Are you looking at offers now to attend this cycle and need to decide immediately or just wondering? a 175 is great and HLS doesn't pass on too many of those with solid GPAs, it's a numbers game and it's a huge school. Best of luck
Definitely looking to reapply in September. Also, I don't have a "solid" GPA I feel like? I'm below their 25th percentile lol. And it seems now there is an overabundance of individuals with 175+ LSAT? Not to mention, I have no softs and 5 takes :/.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2526
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:21 pm

lawguy999 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 pm
Dcc617 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:34 pm
For what it's worth, I got into Harvard a few years ago with a 3.72 and 176.
Interesting. But aren't higher LSAT scores becoming far more common? Also, I have no softs.
I applied back in 2015 so I don't know how the lay of the land has changed since then.

nixy

Gold
Posts: 2841
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: What are my chances? 3.8/173 But Feb application

Post by nixy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm

lawguy999 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 pm
Dcc617 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:34 pm
For what it's worth, I got into Harvard a few years ago with a 3.72 and 176.
Interesting. But aren't higher LSAT scores becoming far more common? Also, I have no softs.
Stop worrying about not having any softs. Just promote what you do have and shoot your shot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Post Reply

Return to “What are my chances?”