3.99 Gpa, 162 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
springmatters

New

3.99 Gpa, 162 LSAT

Post by springmatters » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Hey,

Long time lurker here. Honestly I don't want to get flamed here for wasting my gpa and not retaking, my parents are very much against me taking a year off, and I don't think I could do much better than my score. I wanted to ask you guys, especially other splitters, would I be wasting my money applying to georgetown, cornell, ucla, berkley, and virginia? I find my self in the position of going to fordham law, but after reading many threads on the topic of fordham law I don't know if I want to go. I'm not URM but i'm also not a traditional candidate (personal statement is centered around being a caucasian *minority*). Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: 3.99 Gpa, 162 LSAT

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:47 pm

What do you mean by "caucasian minority"?

And you have an outside chance at those schools, and a lower chance than you would have had if you applied back in November. But since you're making the abysmally bad decision of doing what your parents want instead of what you want, might as well go all in.

springmatters

New

Post by springmatters » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Cavalier, I don't really want to get into that first part. Yes, I realize taking your parent's POV may seem foolish to you, but I also prepped so much that I don't think i'm going to be making a huge improvement if I take a year off and apply next cycle. Nonetheless thank you for your input.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:59 pm

springmatters wrote:Cavalier, I don't really want to get into that first part. Yes, I realize taking your parent's POV may seem foolish to you, but I also prepped so much that I don't think i'm going to be making a huge improvement if I take a year off and apply next cycle. Nonetheless thank you for your input.
Your call. The reason I asked about the first part is that there are certain things (like being the first in your family to attend college, etc.) that can give a less-than-URM-but-not-insignificant boost to an applicant. But without knowing the specifics, I'd assume you get no boost from your background and will be battling to overcome that LSAT.

In the meantime, feel free to peruse this thread to read about people who were in your position and made that huge improvement they didn't think was possible.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:12 pm

I have extremely similar stats and I had been planning on being a KJD since middle school. I underperformed in September and decided that I wasn't going to waste my GPA by applying with my current LSAT score. You shouldn't either. I'm retaking in June and sitting out a cycle. My parents fought me every step of the way, but unless your parents are footing your law school bill they shouldn't have any input on your decision. That sounds harsh, but this is probbaly the biggest decision of your life up to this point and will impact the rest of your life. Your GPA opens up every single school in the T14. You worked your ass off for 4 years to get a 3.99, the only thing standing between you and a substantial scholarship at a top school is a 4 hour multiple choice exam. Don't sell yourself short and settle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:12 pm

You have a shot at some T14s but likely at sticker. Retake for a substantial scholarship and/or a shot at HYS (with a 170+).

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:24 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ad34964n

Bronze

Post by ad34964n » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:42 pm

springmatters wrote:Hey,

Long time lurker here. Honestly I don't want to get flamed here for wasting my gpa and not retaking, my parents are very much against me taking a year off, and I don't think I could do much better than my score. I wanted to ask you guys, especially other splitters, would I be wasting my money applying to georgetown, cornell, ucla, berkley, and virginia? I find my self in the position of going to fordham law, but after reading many threads on the topic of fordham law I don't know if I want to go. I'm not URM but i'm also not a traditional candidate (personal statement is centered around being a caucasian *minority*). Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
While I am sure that retaking would help significantly, I am proof that you will be fine should you apply now. I have extremely similar stats, am not a URM and have so far been accepted to GTown and Mich, Cardozo (full ride), BK (full ride), Fordham (over half) and BC ($ pending). Almost all of them wrote handwritten notes about my essay and writing abilities. This is to say, you have a real shot with a great essay.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes, you'd be wasting your money in the sense that you could MASSIVELY improve your future prospects, and I do mean MASSIVELY if you were to improve your LSAT.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:41 pm

retake.

But seriously, you should retake. You don't even have to 'take a year off'. Get a real job during your year of studying so that your parents are happy that you're becoming a well adjusted adult.

I jumped from 164 to 168 in a month and a half studying while working full time. Going to continue that and sit for my final test in June. It's absolutely doable to keep improving.

You haven't even told us your LG score. Tbh, if it wasn't -0 then you already know there's a place that is guaranteed improvable.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:02 pm

did your parents apply to law school in the last 10-15 years? if not, then fuck them.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:51 pm

ad34964n wrote:

While I am sure that retaking would help significantly, I am proof that you will be fine should you apply now. I have extremely similar stats, am not a URM and have so far been accepted to GTown and Mich, Cardozo (full ride), BK (full ride), Fordham (over half) and BC ($ pending). Almost all of them wrote handwritten notes about my essay and writing abilities. This is to say, you have a real shot with a great essay.
Not sure I would call this "fine." This isn't really much of a win if debt financing. That's just way too much money to pay, or the schools aren't very good. Also, the essays don't really matter. It's GPA/LSAT and then other factors like URM status. That's all that matters.

OP- You definitely have to yank the chain here and retake. Unless your parents want to put their ass on the line and pay for all of your schooling I guess. There's still the risk that law school wouldn't be worth it in terms of the job you get and you might be disappointed with your career trajectory, but at least there wouldn't be the dire financial downside. But if you're the one who has to shoulder the payments then they don't really have any say here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ad34964n wrote:

Not sure I would call this "fine." This isn't really much of a win if debt financing. That's just way too much money to pay, or the schools aren't very good. Also, the essays don't really matter. It's GPA/LSAT and then other factors like URM status. That's all that matters.

OP- You definitely have to yank the chain here and retake. Unless your parents want to put their ass on the line and pay for all of your schooling I guess. There's still the risk that law school wouldn't be worth it in terms of the job you get and you might be disappointed with your career trajectory, but at least there wouldn't be the dire financial downside. But if you're the one who has to shoulder the payments then they don't really have any say here.
Zuck is 100% TCR. Sticker anywhere is just stupid unless your parents are footing the bill (and even then it's pretty stupid). Please just take a year off and retake. For the record I think all of the best students in my class at Michigan took at least a year off. I remember back when I was about to graduate college I had this same conversation with my parents. I know it can take some courage, but you should respond to their insistence that you go without maximizing your LSAT potential/getting more money with something to the tune of "Well, are you going to pay for it?" if their answer is anything but "Yes", then the appropriate response is "Well, I guess it isn't your decision then." Seriously. If you go to LS at sticker you will literally be paying $2,500 a month until you are in your late 40s. Is your (or your parents') blind insistence that you go straight in worth that? Is refusing to nut up and put your parents in their place on this particular issue worth that? (Hint: It's not).

TL;DR: Retake

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:03 pm

I'll also add that as someone who "only" pays $1100 a month in loans, paying loans SUCKS. It'll probably become second nature soon enough but $1000 a month down the drain for 10 years sounds awful. I can't even fathom having to pay 2K+. For 10 years? To pay off student loans? Nah, screw that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”