4.0 / 170, 4 years of WE - Chances at HYS or $ at CCN? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
scarbotweed

New

4.0 / 170, 4 years of WE - Chances at HYS or $ at CCN?

Post by scarbotweed » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:39 pm

So I'm kind of a mild reverse splitter and wanted to get some opinions on what my chances might be. I know retaking to get a 173+ would basically seal the deal at Harvard, $$$ at CCN etc. but with my work schedule (traveling several times a month, 70+ hours working per week) I don't think I can dedicate the time.

I will have 4 years of work experience (at matriculation) in investment banking / consulting and had good, if generic, extracurriculars in undergrad. I think I can write a decent personal statement and will hopefully have average-good recommendations. I'm also potentially interested in applying to JD/MBA programs, but not sure if it's worth the additional cost if I'm planning on going into law anyway. Any thoughts?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: 4.0 / 170, 4 years of WE - Chances at HYS or $ at CCN?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:18 pm

I'd say forgo the MBA if you know what you want to do law.

I think you have a great chance at T6 and lower T14s with $$.

Is there ANY way you could try to study for a retake?....Man 3 more points and you can get Harvard! Or a better chance at $$$ at the T6
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ObiWahooKenobi

New

Post by ObiWahooKenobi » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Several great schools have 3 year JD/MBA programs - at least Columbia, U Penn, and Yale (better yet, Yale's does not require summer study while Columbia's does - I'm unsure about Penn). I thought about this, myself. What I learned is that alumni with these degrees find them to be valuable, but they almost always end up in business rather than law. Do with that what you will.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:03 pm

ObiWahooKenobi wrote:Several great schools have 3 year JD/MBA programs - at least Columbia, U Penn, and Yale (better yet, Yale's does not require summer study while Columbia's does - I'm unsure about Penn). I thought about this, myself. What I learned is that alumni with these degrees find them to be valuable, but they almost always end up in business rather than law. Do with that what you will.
Penn has classes in first summer. I know many people who did it and they either go back to business or will. I thought about doing but did not do it for (1) money during 1L sumer (I was a SA), and (2) extra cost. Now I think I would do it if I were to do it over again. Largely because it would be valuable now that I am practicing on my own.

I don't think it adds much to someone who is going to stay on the law path (aiming for biglaw partnership) except that you will have some great connections down the road. This is my reason for me wishing I had done it, but probably not a $150k reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”