Chances at top law schools, such as Georgetown, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, etc.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
randomlawstuff

New

Chances at top law schools, such as Georgetown, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, etc.

Post by randomlawstuff » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi, I have a 3.7 average in chemistry (honors program) from Vanderbilt. Additionally, I am hispanic and have a 171 LSAT (taken once). I have been involved in a few clubs with some leadership here and there. I know this is super vague, but I just want to get a basic sense of where I stand. I believe my GPA is pretty good considering the major, as 3.9 is a bit unrealistic for the course load. Thanks in advance.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Re: Chances at top law schools, such as Georgetown, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, etc.

Post by cbbinnyc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:49 pm

ETA: Major and college likely won't matter. Softs are average to below average. But, as you can see, your numbers and URM status put you in a pretty enviable position.
Last edited by cbbinnyc on Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdotson2

Silver

Re: Chances at top law schools, such as Georgetown, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, etc.

Post by cdotson2 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:53 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:Image
OP if you arnt Mexican American or Puerto Rican then you are not an urm so the above chart will not be representative of the results you should expect.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:57 pm

cdotson2 wrote: OP if you arnt Mexican American or Puerto Rican then you are not an urm so the above chart will not be representative of the results you should expect.
I believe this line of thinking has been called into question, especially since many schools don't make a distinction between different types of Hispanic on their applications, but here's a chart that doesn't include URM. Still not in bad shape, but retaking is probably a good idea for better scholarship offers.

randomlawstuff

New

Post by randomlawstuff » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:59 pm

@cdotson2 Thanks for the heads up. I am Cuban-American, so I guess that chart would not apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

randomlawstuff

New

Post by randomlawstuff » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:00 pm

@cbbinnyc Thanks for the data! That's very helpful

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:21 pm

What is your LSAC GPA? Saying "3.7 average" doesn't sound like you're telling us your LSAC GPA. That's the only one that schools are going to really care about.

mynameismyname

Bronze

Post by mynameismyname » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:29 pm

50/50 shot at HYS and likely in everywhere else except for potential YP schools.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 am

mynameismyname wrote:50/50 shot at HYS and likely in everywhere else except for potential YP schools.
lol no

mynameismyname

Bronze

Post by mynameismyname » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:19 am

I was under the impression that op was Mexican... That would have been correct

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”