153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:09 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
hoos89 wrote:You aren't going to get in anywhere worth going with a 153. Also, your master GPA is borderline irrelevant. Law schools only care about your undergrad GPA.
+1

The schools are are looking at are life-ruiningly bad. Before you plop down six figures to go to a school like John Marshall, go look at their job data on Law School Transparency. After reading about your goals, it's pretty obvious you are naive and haven't done your homework.

Also, law schools care about two things: undergraduate GPA and LSAT. Graduate school GPA, your published thesis, and your long work hours are virtually irrelevant next to GPA and LSAT.

You need to retake. Going to law school in your current situation would be completely reckless and idiotic.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 am

Did OP even mention his UG GPA?

downinDtown

Bronze

Post by downinDtown » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:26 pm

So many questions/oddities here....
Now I'm back, I work 70 hours so I didn't have time to study, but I did complete my masters in psych and published my thesis while working.
If you can complete a masters/thesis while working, why do you not have time to study and retake the LSAT while working? Your LSAT score will get you markedly further in terms of getting admitted to a law school where you may have a “chance” at doing something you’re apparently interested in doing. Going to Loyola, John Marshall, or Chi-Kent gives you a better at becoming a run-of-the-mill court clerk (no JD required) than a judicial clerk.

But seriously though, if you’re investing 3 years of your life into law school, and which law school you attend will have a material impact on which job opportunities are attainable, why wouldn’t you invest 3 months to study for the test that will make the single largest impact in your ability to be admitted to a certain caliber of school?
Why deny that I'm special?
Everyone is special and unique. Therefore, no one is (you included).
But I think everyone is in their own way
I think you are getting in YOUR OWN way by ignoring the facts and evidence (and statistics) that people on TLS are offering you. If you do, one day your optimism and reality will have to have an honest heart-to-heart and it won’t be so pretty.
what makes the law in America to best thing ever to study is that there is room for every path and every story.
In reality, there isn’t room for every path and every story, at least not in the legal field. X = number of law students graduating from law school each year; Y = number of available legal jobs. X > Y.
Now there are only so many slots for that top firm and not every one is going to end up like mike or Harvey or Jessica or even Lewis from suits.. But that's not a bad thing.
You’re right about one thing: if you’re like Louis Litt, that is a bad thing.
I worked at several law firms after I left law school and was encouraged by attorneys in corporate law to go back because of my writing skills.
I know that I don't need a JD to write legislation.
However, I am at a point in life where I want to receive the correct training to write legalislation and for me that's law school.
“Legalislation?” Is that writing legislation for legalization? You wanting to draft pro-pot laws?

With this small sample size of your writing ability**, I’m having trouble seeing how these “attorneys in corporate law” complimented your writing “skills.” I’m also having trouble seeing how compliments from some corporate lawyer(s)—presumably some of the lawyers among your expansive network of lawyers who presumably graduated from some of the finest legal institutions in the great city of Chicago (excluding University of Chicago and Northwestern, of course)—have now inspired you to go to one of these aforementioned bastions (or bastards) of legal training to acquire, of all things, the necessary skills to write legislation.

**Exhibits of samples demonstrating excellent writing abilities and logical prowess:
Exhibit A : “what makes the law in America to best thing ever to study is that there is room for every path and every story.” Say what?
Exhibit B: “I do follow my dreams because when I love what I do because that works for me.”
Exhibit C: “For mental health issues including my thesis subject.”
Exhibit D: "Numbers get everyone's attention, but it's always exceptions to the rule which is why I posted this."
How about you read these books instead (or Google others): The Legislative Drafter’s Desk Reference, 2nd Edition. Lawrence E. Filson and Sandra L. Strokoff. CQ Press. Washington 2008; Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook. Tobias A. Dorsey. The Capitol Net. Alexandria VA. 2006.

It’s likely that among the schools you’ve gotten into, you: (a) won’t have such a specific course; (b) won’t actually teach you the skills (that you believe you need) to provide you any advantage in doing such work; and (c) provide you favorable odds to even get a job in the legal field (or if you do get one, have a sufficiently high salary to service the amounts of debt you’ll likely incur).

Just because you want to become a public servant doesn't mean that some government agency will just hire you automatically. Many legal and policy jobs in government are quite competitive and selective. That means they don't have to dip down to TTTs (third-tier toilets) to find anyone willing to become a "public servant." Do some more research on this to find how others ended up in the type of position you believe you want to also end up in.

I notice a theme though with your post—you’re not the first and won’t be the last—that you want to deny the facts presented to you because you believe you’re the exception to every rule and statistic. But know that this defies logic; which is why you had a sucky LSAT score to begin with.

TL;DR - Use whatever logic you have left and retake the LSAT, please!

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:58 pm

It's a four hour test and it can dictate the course of your entire career. If you have a masters and you did a thesis than you must know good things take time and something this important (maybe 60% of your admissions decision or more) should not be half-a$$ed

The fact that you are a non-traditional applicant who is clearly very accomplished is a great soft and works in your favor. Why aren't you revealing your undergrad GPA? it's also very important and might change our advice (like if you have a 3.0 or less I would discourage you attending law school in general).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tmims

New

Post by tmims » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:41 pm

My undergrad GPA was a 3.1 not the best at all.

I don't want to write pro-pot legislation.

I'm still waiting on 2 schools, got into George Mason. however, family situation may not allow me to move to DC.

I think I'm doing okay but I'm sure the helpful information that's posted on here will help someone else.

tmims

New

Post by tmims » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:43 pm

FYI, My friends and network graduated from schools outside of Chicago, like Yale, Harvard, SMU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, U of Penn, George Mason, and Washington.........

Which is why I asked on here about law schools in Chicago.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:46 am

If you're real then I am sad

I'll get over it tho

tmims

New

Post by tmims » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:50 pm

All of aliases and yet my identity is questioned.

Yes, I'm real.

I equally saddened that the economy is bad and the younger generations those born in late 80s and 90s are so consumed by debt... That time is wasted getting into the perfect school... Versus on having faith to create your own situations

Makes me glad I'm the age I am. Got into another law school today but it doesn't matter. Good luck everyone on your pursuits

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

earthabides

Bronze

Post by earthabides » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:00 pm

tmims wrote:All of aliases and yet my identity is questioned.

Yes, I'm real.

I equally saddened that the economy is bad and the younger generations those born in late 80s and 90s are so consumed by debt... That time is wasted getting into the perfect school... Versus on having faith to create your own situations

Makes me glad I'm the age I am. Got into another law school today but it doesn't matter. Good luck everyone on your pursuits
This is a really good impression of a boomer's email writing style. Do you work for the same company as me?

tmims

New

Post by tmims » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:04 pm

meant to say this thread of full of aliases, working with 4 computers in front of you...

You get a little lost.

Decided to play devil's advocate and think about waiting one more year to apply, but at my age, that has so many ramifications. I just another promotion at my job. What little time I have is whittling away.

I do grasp the point of being from this school or that school. I just have established a life and I know with all of the bad choices I've mad, there is no way one would imagine I would be where I am in life.

I'm glad that there is a lot of debate of where to go, it is a serious, life changing choice.

However, the older you get, the more buffering factors you have if you will to lessen the blowback from a choice regarding school.

I was born in '75, I'm not a boomer but the world these young people face today, saddens me. Bad choices by previous leaders and the one we have, leave them burdened with factoring debt into every choice.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:08 pm

tmims wrote:meant to say this thread of full of aliases, working with 4 computers in front of you...

You get a little lost.

Decided to play devil's advocate and think about waiting one more year to apply, but at my age, that has so many ramifications. I just another promotion at my job. What little time I have is whittling away.

I do grasp the point of being from this school or that school. I just have established a life and I know with all of the bad choices I've mad, there is no way one would imagine I would be where I am in life.

I'm glad that there is a lot of debate of where to go, it is a serious, life changing choice.

However, the older you get, the more buffering factors you have if you will to lessen the blowback from a choice regarding school.

I was born in '75, I'm not a boomer but the world these young people face today, saddens me. Bad choices by previous leaders and the one we have, leave them burdened with factoring debt into every choice.
This really helped make this thread deliver.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
tmims wrote:meant to say this thread of full of aliases, working with 4 computers in front of you...

You get a little lost.

This really helped make this thread deliver.
Boomers gonna boom

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:24 pm

George Mason at sticker seems like a great option. If your apartment gets cold in DC we can just burn money.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:55 pm

tmims wrote:However, the older you get, the more buffering factors you have if you will to lessen the blowback from a choice regarding school.

Don't mean to cut in on the pontificating, but no matter your age, hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and no ability to find a job to pay it off will still ruin your life, we "young people" don't have the market cornered on being unemployed and having student debt.

If you're older and have more people counting on you, it might just have the added effect of ruining other people's lives instead of only your own. A year of your life, no matter your age, is only a year. Retake, get a good LSAT, and get some scholarship money.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:00 pm

middlebear wrote:
tmims wrote:However, the older you get, the more buffering factors you have if you will to lessen the blowback from a choice regarding school.

Don't mean to cut in on the pontificating, but no matter your age, hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and no ability to find a job to pay it off will still ruin your life, we "young people" don't have the market cornered on being unemployed and having student debt.

If you're older and have more people counting on you, it might just have the added effect of ruining other people's lives instead of only your own. A year of your life, no matter your age, is only a year. Retake, get a good LSAT, and get some scholarship money.
His mind is too far boomed dude, let him go

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:30 pm

This troll is beautiful but tbf 75 is Xer. Xers don't have feelings for anyone. So that's a giveaway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tmims

New

Post by tmims » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:28 pm

I do care. but my generation is ruthless compared to others. I guess it was the time. LOL, but I get it.

Debt is something to be taken seriously, I guess maybe because of my age and background. It is a part of life that I have accepted and have moved on to at least being happy with it.

I have a parent ill, so I have to really think about moving to any other city.

I may seem gruff, but I do listen and think about all of the posts on here, in their own way, they are all valid, whether I want to hear them or not.

Thinking about turning down a full scholarship to one school just because it is ranked so low. A lot of comments made me do some additional research.

tmims

New

Post by tmims » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:33 pm

I do understand that a year is a year, and I'm a female by the way. But the older you get..... the harder it is to just wait another year.

With my job, I don't know when I would get the time for the LSAT courses, the logic problems I have no problem with, it's just getting them done within the amount of time within the test.

At 40, you are trying to get things done. You don't have the luxury of waiting and saying another year doesn't matter because it feels like at least that every minute is so pressing compared to when I was in my 20s.

I think the reason that I posted has given me a lot of thought. I found another program that it is not a top school but in Chicago that I really love. The JD/MS public service program at DePaul really highlights what I was trying to say earlier in the post.

I hope that everyone on here, gets the situation that is best for them.

I think with Gen Xrs, we just say the dime to a dollar dream so much there is no lack of abundance that is tempered with fiscal realities. I hate the fact that I sit here nervous waiting on other letters. I feel like I'm too old for that, but I know it happens to everyone.

I gave myself to 4/1 to make an assessment if it is really worth waiting another year. My point is just because people disagree doesn't mean they don't listen :)

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:43 pm

OP, are you taking fistfuls of back pills? You're borderline incoherent

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:51 pm

If you're so conscious about your age now, you're just going to have an awesome time at a TT listening to someone born in 1993 drone on about his/her shitty half-baked world view.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmims

New

Post by tmims » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:31 pm

no i'm not incoherent, I have 4 screens at work to read all day long and adding a 5th wasn't the best option but I wanted to respond.

I know not of any black pills......... I'm not that old lol.

I'm not worried or self-conscious about my age. I just have the need as I get older to not waste time waiting, but we all have to in some way.

As far as the post about burning money, that is the problem now with DC but that is not the forum for that. but it was a good laugh.

I hope everyone is getting their letters in... I have 3 more I'm waiting on... and then will make a decision.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:14 am

lolol

this person can't be real

op if you really want to make a statement about our use of "aliases" you should post your linkedin

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:53 pm

tmims wrote: With my job, I don't know when I would get the time for the LSAT courses, the logic problems I have no problem with, it's just getting them done within the amount of time within the test.
Then you have a problem.

The LSAT is timed because anyone, given enough time, can get a great score on the LSAT, unless English isn't one's forte.

You should be spending AT MOST 11 minutes on one game, and making it up with the easier games by doing those in six minutes. If this seems difficult for you, then you will need to take a class.
Last edited by Pragmatic Gun on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:47 pm

This is either one of the saddest posts I've ever read or one of the best trolls in a while. Its like the boomer version of the K-JD kid who thinks the GW wait list is his ticket to become the next Republican president.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”