super splitter: sub-3.0 GPA/172+ LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chrispyreddit

New

super splitter: sub-3.0 GPA/172+ LSAT

Post by chrispyreddit » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:58 am

Hi all,
I have a sub-3.0 GPA and a 172+ LSAT. Given the declining apps and decline in scorers in the top ranges, I'm hoping to get some rampant speculation from some of you brilliant TLSers regarding where I have shots at.

I think I have a non-zero chance at northwestern. Maybe GULC. Maybe.

Should I be reaching into the middle of the top-14, or is that still just silly? Do I have any chances anywhere beyond those two? the Q&A with former admissions officers thread seems to indicate that most non-hys schools are panicking about the decline in applicants and medians (my words, not Spivey's). The general feeling is that schools are worried and that this will be a good cycle. Has the super splitter advice of "ED UVA, RD GULC and NU" changed at all? Is there anywhere besides UVA that might be a good use of ED? I think Penn, Cornell, and Duke all have round 2 EDs. Thoughts on those?

Thanks for your wild guesses about my future!

Cellar-door

Bronze

Re: super splitter: sub-3.0 GPA/172+ LSAT

Post by Cellar-door » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:48 am

chrispyreddit wrote:Hi all,
I have a sub-3.0 GPA and a 172+ LSAT. Given the declining apps and decline in scorers in the top ranges, I'm hoping to get some rampant speculation from some of you brilliant TLSers regarding where I have shots at.

I think I have a non-zero chance at northwestern. Maybe GULC. Maybe.

Should I be reaching into the middle of the top-14, or is that still just silly? Do I have any chances anywhere beyond those two? the Q&A with former admissions officers thread seems to indicate that most non-hys schools are panicking about the decline in applicants and medians (my words, not Spivey's). The general feeling is that schools are worried and that this will be a good cycle. Has the super splitter advice of "ED UVA, RD GULC and NU" changed at all? Is there anywhere besides UVA that might be a good use of ED? I think Penn, Cornell, and Duke all have round 2 EDs. Thoughts on those?

Thanks for your wild guesses about my future!
I had similar numbers. Georgetown is actually pretty tough, they seem to have a 3.0 floor. NU gave at least a WL spot to quite a few people with similar numbers, and I and at least 1 other person got in off it. Cornell will probably at least throw you on the waitlist. THe rest seem pretty unlikely but might as well pick 2 you like and take a shot. Also remember to apply to some other top 20ish schools if for nothing else to negotiate scholarship money with (Vandy, WUSTL, UMN, GW, depends where you want to practice).

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:55 pm

I had 2.4/177. I got into 1 school: USF. That was when applications were at a much higher volume, etc. With LSAT takers down, you might have a better shot at going to a real school, but don't get too optimistic just because you have a high LSAT.

I'm sure you're GPA is better than mine was, but you should still be prepared to be disappointed. Go for an ED. I regret not having done so myself. (It ended out working out, but that was mostly luck).

Good luck.

workaholic82

Bronze

Post by workaholic82 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:02 pm

I can speak to this with more recency, though my story is unfinished. I also have a 2.4, 177. So far I am in 5 schools ranging from T-20 to T-50 ranked, and one has offered me a 90K scholarship. I am still waiting on 10 schools, including 3 T 14's. I would suggest applying to your top 10-20 (depending on fee waivers) or so ranging from mid 50's to T14's. I have thus far been surprised with my several acceptances coming so quickly.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:09 pm

Northwestern is a viable option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

workaholic82

Bronze

Post by workaholic82 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Clearly wrote:Northwestern is a viable option.
+1

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:54 am

workaholic82 wrote:I can speak to this with more recency, though my story is unfinished. I also have a 2.4, 177. So far I am in 5 schools ranging from T-20 to T-50 ranked, and one has offered me a 90K scholarship. I am still waiting on 10 schools, including 3 T 14's. I would suggest applying to your top 10-20 (depending on fee waivers) or so ranging from mid 50's to T14's. I have thus far been surprised with my several acceptances coming so quickly.
Do you actually have ties to all those regions?

workaholic82

Bronze

Post by workaholic82 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:01 am

If ties means relatives in those regions, then I have ties to the best school I've been admitted to (with high hopes of a large money offer), and have been a lifelong resident in the state of the state school that offered me 90K, plus another school i've gotten into is in that state. The 2 other schools, no ties, but they're both good schools worth consideration if their offers are high enough. My number one choice (T-14) is in my state of residence, and I've been told I have a pretty good shot, but the choice of whether or not to pay sticker (minus cost of living and whatever pittance of money I might get), should I be lucky enough to have that opportunity, will be a big one.

chrispyreddit

New

Post by chrispyreddit » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:31 pm

It was mentioned that a school like cornell would throw me on the waitlist. What about a school like Duke, they seem to have similar acceptances to cornell and they have a round 2 ED? is that completely out of the question?

170+ scorers seem to be in high demand and apps are falling, people like mike spivey seem to think that many schools will be lowering their floors. I'm getting that many schools still don't want to touch a 2.x Gpa though. but I feel like NU was really the nly viable option even like 2/3 cycles ago, I guess I just expected that at least some other t-14 schools would have opened up, but am I to gather that this is not the case?

thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:28 pm

chrispyreddit wrote:It was mentioned that a school like cornell would throw me on the waitlist. What about a school like Duke, they seem to have similar acceptances to cornell and they have a round 2 ED? is that completely out of the question?

170+ scorers seem to be in high demand and apps are falling, people like mike spivey seem to think that many schools will be lowering their floors. I'm getting that many schools still don't want to touch a 2.x Gpa though. but I feel like NU was really the nly viable option even like 2/3 cycles ago, I guess I just expected that at least some other t-14 schools would have opened up, but am I to gather that this is not the case?

thanks!
Do you have good work experience or are you K-JD?

I was under the impression that Northwestern favored those with work experience. I am not sure what kind of effect this may have but it might be something to consider.
Is there some reason you do not want NU?

chrispyreddit

New

Post by chrispyreddit » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:23 am

Gooner91 wrote:

I was under the impression that Northwestern favored those with work experience. I am not sure what kind of effect this may have but it might be something to consider.
Neither. I did postbacc work and then took a bit off while I studied for the lsat and tok care of a sick family member. I worked part time through all of this but nothing impressive enough for NU.
I'd be SO happy with NU if I got in. But I feel like it's smart to explore other options, as I'm in no way a lock for NU. Also, truth be told, if I had the choice to go to northwestern OR like cornell or uva or duke, I might prefer somewhere not in a big city. I prefer smaller college towns, so if there's a "better" (subjective term, I know...) school that I might be a long shot at but an ED might put me over the edge (i.e. duke or cornell or UVA), I'd definitely consider EDing. If it might get me into a better school where I might prefer the location, totally seems worth it.

To be honest, I'm not sure where you got the impression that I dont' want NU. I definitely didn't mean to imply that. It's more a case of, "here's one great option, but with it being far from a sure thing, I'd better explore other options".

Am I to gather from that that places like duke and cornell are out, even ED?

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:30 am

chrispyreddit wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:

Neither. I did postbacc work and then took a bit off while I studied for the lsat and tok care of a sick family member. I worked part time through all of this but nothing impressive enough for NU.
I'd be SO happy with NU if I got in. But I feel like it's smart to explore other options, as I'm in no way a lock for NU. Also, truth be told, if I had the choice to go to northwestern OR like cornell or uva or duke, I might prefer somewhere not in a big city. I prefer smaller college towns, so if there's a "better" (subjective term, I know...) school that I might be a long shot at but an ED might put me over the edge (i.e. duke or cornell or UVA), I'd definitely consider EDing. If it might get me into a better school where I might prefer the location, totally seems worth it.

To be honest, I'm not sure where you got the impression that I dont' want NU. I definitely didn't mean to imply that. It's more a case of, "here's one great option, but with it being far from a sure thing, I'd better explore other options".

Am I to gather from that that places like duke and cornell are out, even ED?
NU probably cares less about how much preftige your jobs had than just that you aren't K-JD, I had useless work experience and I got in off the waitlist. Also not a single person in the last three years with an LSAT 172 or over and a GPA between 2 and 2.99 was rejected outright. 8 accepted 6 waitlisted and 3 of the 6 got in off the WL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”