Chances for 3.23 GPA/180 LSAT with Two Semesters Off? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
law_school_pipedream

New

Chances for 3.23 GPA/180 LSAT with Two Semesters Off?

Post by law_school_pipedream » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:53 pm

I had to withdraw from school for two semesters due to a family medical situation. I was wondering how this would affect my chances for the T14 if I included an addendum that explained why I had to leave.

That said, my grades were not great, as you can see. I struggled a bit due to what was going on in my personal life. However, I was pleased to find out that I rocked the LSAT, so I'm hoping that will be the redeeming factor in my application come next fall. I'll have been out of undergrad for a year by then, and I'm currently employed. There is nothing outstanding about my extracurriculars, but I was heavily involved in many clubs/organizations. Considering that LORs and personal statement are decent, I was wondering what my chances would be at the following schools:

Michigan
GWU
Penn
UVA
Georgetown
BU
NYU
Columbia

I'm aware that the last two are a bit of a stretch, but I was wondering if I should still give them a shot. Any and all opinions/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

twenty

Gold

Re: Chances for 3.23 GPA/180 LSAT with Two Semesters Off?

Post by twenty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:35 am

law_school_pipedream wrote:I had to withdraw from school for two semesters due to a family medical situation. I was wondering how this would affect my chances for the T14 if I included an addendum that explained why I had to leave.

That said, my grades were not great, as you can see. I struggled a bit due to what was going on in my personal life. However, I was pleased to find out that I rocked the LSAT, so I'm hoping that will be the redeeming factor in my application come next fall. I'll have been out of undergrad for a year by then, and I'm currently employed. There is nothing outstanding about my extracurriculars, but I was heavily involved in many clubs/organizations. Considering that LORs and personal statement are decent, I was wondering what my chances would be at the following schools:

Michigan
GWU
Penn
UVA
Georgetown
BU
NYU
Columbia

I'm aware that the last two are a bit of a stretch, but I was wondering if I should still give them a shot. Any and all opinions/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Wouldn't even apply to the strikeouts. Would include Northwestern though.

Also, you have a decent shot at NYU (probably about 60%) and Columbia (probably about 40%). I would hold off on UPenn and UVA until later in the cycle, and then if you don't get NYU/Columbia/Michigan$$, maybe ED to Penn during round 2, then ED to UVA. You're pretty much a lock at UVA, so ED there as a last resort.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:41 pm

I think NYU is very doable. Columbia is tricky. They do let some super splitters off the WL so its definitely worth the application, but its rare for a non-urm sub-3.3.

Good luck and congrats on that beautiful LSAT!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:31 pm

The 2 semesters off are basically not a factor.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Blanket the non-YHS T14 (especially UVA and Northwestern) and see what happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”