What are my chances? 2.55/168 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SplitHappy1

New

What are my chances? 2.55/168

Post by SplitHappy1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:24 pm

No excuse for poor GPA other than I was in a major for my first year which I found incredibly boring. I "pwned" high school without studying -- that didn't work for me in college, but I learned and there's a sharp rise in grades after freshman year.

No W/E other than summer work. Average softs, I assume - student government, clubs, organizing lots of community service for on-campus groups.

My highest practice LSAT was a 170 so I'm not sure it's wise to re-take to get another score in the high 160s.

What are my chances at the following schools? I'll apply ASAP (waiting on two LORs, they shouldn't be much longer).

- WUSTL
- GWU
- Minnesota
- Illinois (good idea??)
- Notre Dame
- W&L
- Emory
- Wisconsin
- UGA
- SMU
- American (WCL)

Thanks! :-)

bk1

Diamond

Re: What are my chances? 2.55/168

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Thought I might say if you have the time that a retake would be worth it since you have nothing to lose other than time (if you score lower than a 168 it is unlikely to hurt your application), however a higher score probably won't help you much since it is your GPA dragging you down.

Your best bet is to just look at people with similar numbers on LSN but it really is going to be a crapshoot since you won't find many people with a GPA that low and that GPA makes it really unpredictable anyways.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Your best bet is to just look at people with similar numbers on LSN but it really is going to be a crapshoot since you won't find many people with a GPA that low and that GPA makes it really unpredictable anyways.
Very true. Emory occasionally takes very low gpa splitters, though there are only two or three people with similar numbers a year.
From your list:
Very good shot at W and L
Decent shot at Emory (wl/accept)
Decent shot at Wustl (wl/accept)
Reject:
GWU
ND (splitter unfriendly/likes high gpas)
I am not as familiar with the rest. I would look at schools in the 20-50 range that you fall at their 75h percentile lsat or higher, and throw a lot of apps out there. (Schools like IU-B would be a great option).

What is your target market?

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:10 pm

SplitHappy1

New

Post by SplitHappy1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:15 pm

top30man wrote:
Very true. Emory occasionally takes very low gpa splitters, though there are only two or three people with similar numbers a year.
From your list:
Very good shot at W and L
Decent shot at Emory (wl/accept)
Decent shot at Wustl (wl/accept)
Reject:
GWU
ND (splitter unfriendly/likes high gpas)
I am not as familiar with the rest. I would look at schools in the 20-50 range that you fall at their 75h percentile lsat or higher, and throw a lot of apps out there. (Schools like IU-B would be a great option).

What is your target market?
Target market: a big city, no preferred area of the country. I have a small family so I don't feel tied to one region of the country and I've grown up in the northeast and southwest so I'm used to both climates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:43 pm

Target market: a big city, no preferred area of the country. I have a small family so I don't feel tied to one region of the country and I've grown up in the northeast and southwest so I'm used to both climates.
That flexibility is very helpful. In addition to the reaches of your choice, id apply to:

Emory
W and L
IU-B
UIUC
UGA
CWRU
WUSTL
Rutgers Newark
Any other t30-50 of your choice where you sit at/above the 75th percentile. As people have probably told you, splitter cycles are very unpredictable. Solicit a ton of fee waivers and throw a bunch of apps out there.

SplitHappy1

New

Post by SplitHappy1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:10 pm

top30man wrote:
That flexibility is very helpful. In addition to the reaches of your choice, id apply to:

Emory
W and L
IU-B
UIUC
UGA
CWRU
WUSTL
Rutgers Newark
Any other t30-50 of your choice where you sit at/above the 75th percentile. As people have probably told you, splitter cycles are very unpredictable. Solicit a ton of fee waivers and throw a bunch of apps out there.
You should have saved yourself five minutes and re-read my opening post :-p

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:54 pm

Yeah, just basically wanted to add IU-B. I wouldnt look at American. Bad job prospects for the money, and they have a reputation for being stingy with money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”