Evaluate my chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
unctarheel

New

Evaluate my chances

Post by unctarheel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:33 am

Last edited by unctarheel on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

scammedhard

Silver

Re: Evaluate my chances

Post by scammedhard » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:05 am

unctarheel wrote:Say I am able to get my GPA up to 3.0 and have an lsat around that 167, how good do you think my chances are in getting into a top 50 or 40 school?
With a 3.0/167 you can probably get into some top 50 or 40 schools, or maybe even higher. Your problem will be that you will likely get very little to no money offered, and going to these schools at sticker is not a smart idea in terms of cost/reward. I think your best option is to go to UNC as an in-stater, but with your low GPA, getting in is going to be an uphill battle, especially because UNC likes high GPAs.

You haven't taken the LSAT yet, right? If so, if you do not get a 165+ AND improve your GPA to at least a 3.0, you should say goodbye to law school and move on with your life because it will be impossible to gain admission to a "worthwhile" school.

Also, there is a "What are my chances?" forum.

BillW

New

Post by BillW » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Your LSAT score is good but your GPA could cause you to enter a much lower ranked school than you want. It will probably come down to your application and softs. Entering right out of college with your scores can be tough. I would recommend building your softs through extracurriculars over the next year and seek assistance in building a powerful application.

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:12 pm

If your practice LSAT put you at 167, there's absolutely no reason that you can't score a 175+ with good studying. Honestly, with that kind of cold score you could very well achieve a 177-180. Also, did you consider how the LSAC conversion for your GPA might affect the GPA that you use to apply to law schools? Use this calculator (http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/) to find out what your LSAC GPA is, as that's the number that's important, and then use Law School Predictor (http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm) to play around with numbers to see your chances with a 165, 170, 175, 177, 180. As you'll see, with a 170 you have a shot at as high as a T20, with 175 even higher, 177/8 T10, and if you're lucky enough to hit a 179/180 then even the lower T6. Also, keep in mind that schools consider upward grade trends in the latter years. You'll certainly need to submit an addendum explaining the lower grades in the first couple of years, but with diligent work and a kick-ass LSAT (plus the work experience you already have from the couple of years you worked, which shows you weren't bumming around) you've definitely got hope. But you'll have to work hard to get where you want to.

unctarheel

New

Post by unctarheel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks for all of your input, its been very helpful. When you say to abandon going to law school, wouldnt any school in the top 100 be worthwhile? If i feel passionately about attending law school, and its incurred costs are not an issue, wouldnt attending law school still put me ahead of the game as far as job searches go? I realize the improbability of a biglaw job if i were to attend such a school, but in wishing to practice law or use my law degree towards a worthwhile occupation such as lobbying or IGO, NGO political analysis, public policy etc, I still think going to law school is worth it. Is this naive?

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:40 pm

It's not naive, but the reality of the workplace is that any law school lower than the T20 or so (other people may disagree where the cutoff lies, but it exists) will not lead to a really lucrative job. It'll be the same as any other degree - you'll have trouble finding work, and well-paying work at that. If you decide you want to go to and can get into a T20, then the costs are worth it. But if you can't get into a T20, go the highest ranking school at which you can get a full or almost full scholarship. The difference, for example, between a #35 school and a #43 school with full scholarship is not worth what you'll pay for the #35 school. So you by no means have to abandon it, but be smart about what you choose.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”