Classes abroad/LSAC GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
upandup

New

Classes abroad/LSAC GPA

Post by upandup » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:03 pm

I'm taking the LSAT in June (have been scoring in the mid 160s on practice tests) and have a GPA that will be 3.9+ when I graduate in a couple of weeks.

However, I spent the fall of 2009 studying abroad; my university only takes credits from abroad, not grades, so everything was basically pass/fail in my school GPA. But do I count these classes that I took abroad as being a part of my LSAC GPA? Secondly, by accident I took two classes that I got credit for abroad the following semester (spring 2010), and because I had already received credit for the same classes abroad, my grades in the spring also were not counted in my undergrad GPA and instead were just counted as credits.

Could someone help me and tell me which of these two types of grades (or neither, or both), one set from abroad and the other set from classes taken at home but having already taken and received credit for them from abroad, I should include in my LSAC GPA calculation?
Thanks for all your help.

upandup

New

Re: Classes abroad/LSAC GPA

Post by upandup » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:08 pm

I'm taking this straight from the LSAC website: "In calculating a GPA, LSAC uses the grades and credits for every course that can be converted to the 4.0 scale, although the institution issuing the transcript may exclude some of the courses from its own calculations. Courses excluded from the academic summary are not included in the GPA calculation."

So, because my grades from abroad are included on my transcript ("academic summary"), but NOT factored into my undergraduate GPA, these grades will be factored in? LSAC factors in any letter grade that you receive anywhere in the world as an undergrad, just because a letter can be placed on a "4.0 scale"? Or would they only use grades from American and Canadian institutions?

I really hope they don't count; if they do they'll drop my GPA about .15.

subtle

Silver

Re: Classes abroad/LSAC GPA

Post by subtle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:38 am

They won't. Your one in the spring might, but the others, definitely not.

Return to “What are my chances?”