Is my cycle essentially over? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dabbadon8

Silver

Is my cycle essentially over?

Post by dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:23 pm

This is kind of for my peace of mind... my numbers are 3.49/173. I just got a 54k scholly at umich. I am thinking this will rule out V and P since they don't seem to give much merit aid to people with my numbers though if I get in I will try to negotiate. I also feel I will be WL'ed at both V and P since I am OOS for V and missed the first wave for P. The only way I could see something changing is a NYU/Chicago/Colombia acceptance which seems very unlikely. Should I just accept the likely outcome of my cycle or do you think there is a chance I will still have a choice to make?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Is my cycle essentially over?

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Most would be overjoyed with a partial scholarship from Michigan. Your cycle is not over until you receive decisions from each law school.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Most would be overjoyed with a partial scholarship from Michigan. Your cycle is not over until you receive decisions from each law school.
Believe me I am. Very much so. I was just curious if other people thought this meant the end to my cycle barring a huge surprise.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:28 pm

I am shocked you got that much from Mich. Congrats! yes you should be very happy because unless you are URM then CCN probably wont happen. Enjoy that scholly from Michigan!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Believe me I am. Very much so. I was just curious if other people thought this meant the end to my cycle barring a huge surprise.
Yes

/thread

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:30 pm

My best guess is that your LSAT score will get your application a serious read by every law school to which you have applied.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Oh wow. I would take the Michigan offer no doubt.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Which brings up the point that individual preference matters. Although law school is far behind me, I would prefer Michigan & Northwestern (another school to which you have applied) over several of the others that are pending.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Are we talking about Michigan Ann Arbor? Take the offer OP....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for the posts. I applied the first day apps came out so I have been stressing over decisions for a while now. I guess I can now sit back and relax.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:55 pm

You have a shot at nyu.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:37 pm

OP: I had identical numbers (3.49/173), identical Michigan scholarship ($54k), and also a NYU acceptance. If you're deadset on NYC biglaw, I think NYU gives you a leg up that might be worth the extra $70,000 in tuition and COL. If that's not the case for you, Michigan can open every door around the country that NYU can, yet will do so for substantially less money. I took Michigan over NYU and haven't looked back.

Also, have you visited the two schools? They have very different feels, and I think a visit may help you figure out where you'll be happiest.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:00 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:OP: I had identical numbers (3.49/173), identical Michigan scholarship ($54k), and also a NYU acceptance. If you're deadset on NYC biglaw, I think NYU gives you a leg up that might be worth the extra $70,000 in tuition and COL. If that's not the case for you, Michigan can open every door around the country that NYU can, yet will do so for substantially less money. I took Michigan over NYU and haven't looked back.

Also, have you visited the two schools? They have very different feels, and I think a visit may help you figure out where you'll be happiest.
Well right now I don't have any other options that come close to UMich. I am aiming for big law but not necessarily in NYC. My biggest priorities are jobs prospects, followed by debt, followed by location. From lsn I figure if I end up getting in to one of CCN (though unlikely of course) it will come down to Umich vs NYU/UChi sticker at which point I will have a tough choice to make. Though I am not holding my breath for CCN. I guess what I am asking is barring a CCN acceptance my cycle is essentially over?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:04 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:OP: I had identical numbers (3.49/173), identical Michigan scholarship ($54k), and also a NYU acceptance. If you're deadset on NYC biglaw, I think NYU gives you a leg up that might be worth the extra $70,000 in tuition and COL. If that's not the case for you, Michigan can open every door around the country that NYU can, yet will do so for substantially less money. I took Michigan over NYU and haven't looked back.

Well right now I don't have any other options that come close to UMich. I am aiming for big law but not necessarily in NYC. My biggest priorities are jobs prospects, followed by debt, followed by location. From lsn I figure if I end up getting in to one of CCN (though unlikely of course) it will come down to Umich vs NYU/UChi sticker at which point I will have a tough choice to make. Though I am not holding my breath for CCN. I guess what I am asking is barring a CCN acceptance my cycle is essentially over?
I would say say. Congrats!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:01 am

OP we're almost numbers twins and I'm VERY jealous of your UM scholarship. Had I known that was in the cards, I might not have ED Chicago. In any case, I think you still have an outside shot at Chicago (if you were to get in, I think it would be off the WL) and NYU (maybe WL-in or just in), probably out at Columbia, so no, I dont think your cycle is over. Though if you were shut out from CCN, Michigan with that $$$ seems like a FANTASTIC option.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”