Chances at University of Texas? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
maxm2764

Silver

Re: Chances at University of Texas?

Post by maxm2764 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:14 pm

ITT: A poorly executed and dumbass flame gets way more attention than they deserve.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:34 pm

maxm2764 wrote:ITT: A poorly executed and dumbass flame gets way more attention than they deserve.
I would be suprised if this was a flame.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:44 pm

zeke18 wrote:How are my chances at 3.3/167? I am out-of-state coming from top undergrad + 2 yrs WE in immigration law.
I had better stats, went to UT, live in Texas, and worked far longer than you. Texas auto-dinged me.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Also, of the five Baylor alums I spoke with, they all agreed that if they could do it again, they wouldn't have gone to Baylor.

Baylor doesn't really have a home market, and they also work on a quarter system. This means you get three bouts of finals per year instead of two.

Then, as a 3L, when students at every other school are looking for jobs, they load you down with a bunch of work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:53 pm

HBK wrote:
zeke18 wrote:How are my chances at 3.3/167? I am out-of-state coming from top undergrad + 2 yrs WE in immigration law.
I had better stats, went to UT, live in Texas, and worked far longer than you. Texas auto-dinged me.
I have no doubt there is absolutely no way he is getting into UT law

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:55 pm

swiftwings88 wrote:GPA is 3.53 and LSAT is a 165.
Out of state resident (Wisconsin)

Went to school in TX philosophy major.
Maybe a flame.... Where did u do undergrad OP? I mean you would have said UT if so and there is no other school here worth going to from out of state besides Rice and I doubt u went there

swiftwings88

New

Post by swiftwings88 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:52 pm

I am almost done at the University of Dallas in Irving. This isn't a flame. I just wanted to get some perspective and people got all....condescendy

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:53 pm

swiftwings88 wrote:I am almost done at the University of Dallas in Irving. This isn't a flame. I just wanted to get some perspective and people got all....condescendy
Man you would be suprised this site has many people come here and post random stuff. So when we see the low post count its auto suspecious. Also why Udallas from Wisconsin? and why havent you established residency if you want to go to law school here. If your serious about it I know how you can establish residency is 1 year for UT (i did it comming from Cali). PM me ifyour actually interested

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Just because people on TLS hate on Baylor doesn't mean that it is deserved. It does have a reputation for producing fresh graduates who are more competent than those from other schools in the state. The workload is horrendous, and practice court is god awful from everything I've heard, but it does prepare you to practice law. It is in Waco, which blows. They do make you work unnecessarily hard, which blows. But if you want to be a trial lawyer, it's a very good program.

That said, it's probably not going to get you in to Austin, Dallas, or Houston. If you want biglaw in one of these cities, it's probably not a wise choice. Throughout the state though, Baylor grads are usually highly regarded, and not just by Baylor alums.

Also, I'm not sure about the assertion that SMU is better than UH. Better in what sense? Their placement statistics (from what I've seen) are pretty similar, with SMU having a slight edge. The quality of the education you're going to receive at either of these places is comparable. SMU has a much nicer campus and facilities, and it's also twice as expensive.
whymeohgodno wrote:Baylor is horrible, I'd rather spend $200k vacationing in the Caribbeans in 3 years. My job prospects would be about the same as spending it on an education in Baylor.
I have a friend who is in PC at Baylor right now. He has an offer with a mid-sized firm in Dallas making 120k after he graduates. The other SAs working with him last summer were from, among other places, UH and UVA. They didn't get offers.
Last edited by Marionberry on Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swiftwings88

New

Post by swiftwings88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 am

jt1341 wrote:
swiftwings88 wrote:I am almost done at the University of Dallas in Irving. This isn't a flame. I just wanted to get some perspective and people got all....condescendy
Man you would be suprised this site has many people come here and post random stuff. So when we see the low post count its auto suspecious. Also why Udallas from Wisconsin? and why havent you established residency if you want to go to law school here. If your serious about it I know how you can establish residency is 1 year for UT (i did it comming from Cali). PM me ifyour actually interested
I haven't lived consistently in TX for a year straight although I'm starting on residency work soon. I went to UDallas because its a family school for me, but also because of the great books program and the awesome philosophy major here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”