3.5/172 --> help me get into Duke, NYU, Mich, UVA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
whitman

Silver

3.5/172 --> help me get into Duke, NYU, Mich, UVA

Post by whitman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:43 pm

Okay, now that I've actually applied to schools (10/15 - 10/30), I'll put up my list. Just for fun I guess, since it hardly matters at this point, the applications being in.

Stats: 3.5/172/2 years WE/top 10 liberal arts college/philosophy and economics major

Schools:

Michigan
Duke
Virginia
Vanderbilt
Texas
UCLA
Georgetown
Cornell
U of Washington (out-of-state)
U of Colorado (out-of-state)
Tulane
NYU
Boston College

And if you're feeling extra bored, based on your projections, where should I go? I want to have an enjoyable life for those three years, meaning I want to work hard but be around some fun, interesting, non-cutthroat people. I like the outdoors, intramural sports, women, music, drinking beer, and am liberal but not hipster. I intend to practice environmental law.
Last edited by whitman on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Gold

Re: 3.5/172

Post by im_blue » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:26 pm

You should ED to NYU and go there.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks for the response, but two things seem questionable there: one) I don't think I'd get in even with an ED, but maybe I'm wrong, and 2) I've heard that people are pretty, well, unbearable at NYU, especially when compared to students at, say, Michigan or Vandy. Plus, I would imagine the degree of liberalism veers toward hipster, and that the opportunities for outdoor sports, such as cycling, are limited.

Any pro-NYU students care to tell me how wrong I am?

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:47 am

shameless bump

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:51 am

whitman wrote:Thanks for the response, but two things seem questionable there: one) I don't think I'd get in even with an ED, but maybe I'm wrong, and 2) I've heard that people are pretty, well, unbearable at NYU, especially when compared to students at, say, Michigan or Vandy. Plus, I would imagine the degree of liberalism veers toward hipster, and that the opportunities for outdoor sports, such as cycling, are limited.

Any pro-NYU students care to tell me how wrong I am?
1. you have a very good shot with ED.
2. whatever you've heard is someone else's opinion, dont let it govern your life. i have plenty of friends at NYU and they love it. also, you don't spent $160k to hang out with slightly cooler people (totally subjective anyways), you do it to broaden your future career options. NYU hands down tops michigan in that regard. im going to pretend you didnt mention vandy as your next best choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:18 am

There's more to life than a 10-20% difference in the percentage of the class that gets big-law... You're absolutely right: NYC is not the place to go mountain biking, and even the majority of the students I've talked to will admit that the law school clearly veers left as far it's students go. When you consider the general population of the area: yes, you are in a hipster area. Don't let the people on here lead you to believe that small difference in numbers makes a difference. Honestly, judging by the schools you've applied to and what you've said, Michigan sounds like a perfect fit for you.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm visiting NYU soon so I guess if I love it, I'll ED. I've applied EA to Cornell and non-binding ED to Texas. Here is my general order of schools by preference. Thoughts on ED?

1. Michigan/UVA/Duke if a little money
2. UWashington with big scholarship (way down if no money)
3. Texas/Vandy with some money
4. NYU, assuming no money
5. UCLA assuming no money
6. Cornell/Georgetown, assuming little to no money
7. Boston College
8. Colorado - damn how I wish their reputation and career prospects were better; I'd be there in a heartbeat.
9. Tulane

I am fairly debt averse and will likely not attend anywhere sticker. I might consider Michigan, UVA, Duke, and NYU at sticker, though. Thoughts? I really want to practice environmental law on the west or east coast, and supplement my studies with some B-school classes.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:28 pm

Shameless pro-NYU troll here. The people here are great. There is probably a larger hipster contingent here than at many other law schools, but I don't think I'd call even a plurality of the class hipster (the population walking around outside the school is a different matter, but you won't be socializing with them). I must admit I don't understand where hipster fits on the liberal-conservative spectrum. A number of my friends and TAs are involved in enviro law matters, and for general public interest there is not a better school to attend. Not cutthroat at all, at least from what I've seen so far. Almost everybody plays intramural flag football. Cycling is a bit different in NYC than in Ann Arbor, probably, but a whole ton of people do it both for commuting and recreation. The school is located in one of the most vibrant parts of one of the most vibrant cities in the world, so the beer/women/music requirements are more than taken care of. Students are mostly liberal without being nutty about it, and you'll find a smattering of other viewpoints. And personally, I think the large class size is a huge plus in terms of finding people you get along with. "Unbearable" is not at all a term I would say applies to the class in general -- sure, those people are present, but you can safely and easily ignore them.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:43 pm

Thanks for the response, clintonius, and I really hope I didn't come across as a completely uninformed 0L bashing an incredible school (meaning, I hope I didn't across as what I am). I have heard many positive things about NYU and would consider myself incredibly honored to be accepted. It would be a total shock for me to be accepted, and I completely understand that, were I to be accepted, I would be surrounded by a class that is so qualified and intelligent that it makes me ashamed to even contemplate myself as among them. You didn't say anything, by the way, to indicate that you took offense by anything you said, it's just that I realized what I said was a little unfair. It's good to hear such positive reviews of NYU, and I am sure I will share them after I visit, and I will keep my fingers crossed that I am accepted. I think I would fit in better at a school like Michigan, UVA, or Vandy, but I really have no idea. I just want to enjoy my three years, graduate with a stomachable amount of debt, and land a good job practicing environmental law.

...and now to the Halloween bar crawl.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:48 pm

Nope, no offense taken -- I'm always just confused when I hear about students here having a negative reputation, because my experience so far has been so great. Wanted to give a different perspective, is all.

"Fit" is a really important criterion in considering a law school, and you should absolutely pick a place like UM if you think you'd mesh better there (especially if you're not trying to obtain every possible advantage for biglaw chances). Do let us know what you think of various places after you visit!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:54 pm

I will +1 everything Clint said. Hipsters? Psh. I consider myself pretty conservative and I can confidently say that people at NYU are not annoyingly liberal. There's room for discourse and disagreement, and the students are pretty very social (see our most recent Fall Ball AKA night of debauchery).

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:40 pm

Okay, I just wanted to bump to ask specifically about how I can improve chances of getting into Duke, UVA, Michigan, and NYU without applying ED (I want to keep options open because I am debt-averse). I know Duke is allegedly very pro-GPA, UVA seems to ding everyone with my stats who doesn't ED, and NYU is just a reach in general. I have written Why X essays for all of them. Any thoughts?

mst

Silver

Re: 3.5/172 --> help me get into Duke, NYU, Mich, UVA

Post by mst » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:28 pm

You're looking for a magical bean here and I don't think any of us can give you more than what you've already turned down. I think that if you're just a tad-bit too low on GPA for Duke but may slide by with a good essay (although I still think you get WL'd because there seems to be an imaginary GPA line in the 3.55 range at Duke from what I've read in past threads). I think you get WL'd at NYU. Best shot of the three is probably UVA in my opinion if you don't want to ED. Consider if you're debt averse enough that you want to risk being locked out of CCNMVPD.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Magical bean? Yes, that IS what I'm looking for. I will consider your last statement. That's a fair point. Thanks.

EDIT: making fun of myself, not being a dick to you.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Too late a-hole.

Edit: Just kidding.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Is there a particular reason you haven't applied to Penn or Northwestern?

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Not really. Initially, I felt like I was applying to enough schools I was interested in. I just received a fee waiver from Northwestern so I am planning on applying there. I am torn about Penn, though. It seems like I'm not very likely to get in there, and certainly unlikely to get any money.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:16 pm

I don't think you're less likely to get into Penn than you are Duke, NYU, Mich or UVA. In fact, I think you have better odds at Penn than at some of those schools.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:23 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:I don't think you're less likely to get into Penn than you are Duke, NYU, Mich or UVA. In fact, I think you have better odds at Penn than at some of those schools.
Penn can be pretty picky with their admissions (to the point where it's often hard to predict if you aren't 3.8+/170+). UVa can also be finicky with out of state applicants. I do think you has a better shot at Penn than NYU though...considering their 75th just went up to 175.

Actually, I think some of the posters are being a little optimistic about your ED chances...while I do think you have a decent chance, as it stands you are below their GPA median (and 25th) and just at their LSAT median. I'd predict WL for NYU ED.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:25 pm

czelede wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:I don't think you're less likely to get into Penn than you are Duke, NYU, Mich or UVA. In fact, I think you have better odds at Penn than at some of those schools.
Penn can be pretty picky with their admissions (to the point where it's often hard to predict if you aren't 3.8+/170+). UVa can also be finicky with out of state applicants. I do think you has a better shot at Penn than NYU though...considering their 75th just went up to 175.

Actually, I think some of the posters are being a little optimistic about your ED chances...while I do think you have a decent chance, as it stands you are below their GPA median (and 25th) and just at their LSAT median. I'd predict WL for NYU ED.
I thought their LSAT median was 171?

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:40 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
czelede wrote:

It went up.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 13+medians

Their 75th also jumped up to a 175 this year. I suspect they're trying to reclaim their #5 spot from Chicago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:41 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
czelede wrote:

went up to 172 this year

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:42 pm

czelede wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
czelede wrote:

It went up.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 13+medians

Their 75th also jumped up to a 175 this year. I suspect they're trying to reclaim their #5 spot from Chicago.
But CCN sounds so much nicer than CNC!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:51 pm

plenipotentiary wrote: But CCN sounds so much nicer than CNC!
I think it'll still be CCN, fear not! After all, we say MVPB instead of BPMV...

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:53 pm

mst wrote:You're looking for a magical bean here and I don't think any of us can give you more than what you've already turned down. I think that if you're just a tad-bit too low on GPA for Duke but may slide by with a good essay (although I still think you get WL'd because there seems to be an imaginary GPA line in the 3.545? range at Duke from what I've read in past threads). I think you get WL'd at NYU. Best shot of the three is probably UVA in my opinion if you don't want to ED. Consider if you're debt averse enough that you want to risk being locked out of CCNMVPD.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”