3.3 165 URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Sallymander

New

3.3 165 URM

Post by Sallymander » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Here are my stats --

3.3 from UMICH (English and Econ)
165 June LSAT (retaking in OCT)
AA Female

Taught/ volunteered abroad (Senegal) for two years after graduation.
Considering dual degree.

Any advice on where to apply?

Thanks.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: 3.3 165 URM

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Where do you want to live & work ? Or is your question focused solely on the Top 14 law schools ? If so, then apply to any school you wish understanding that the top 3 are highly unlikely to admit you. A 3.3 GPA is quite low, but most law schools will boost your LSAT due to AA URM status.
Cornell, WashUStL & Chicago may be good choices.
lawschoolnumbers website may be your best source of information. The real issue is how much of a boost will particular law schools give to an AA URM applicant ? I don't know, but lawschool numbers should offer some insight.

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:10 pm

I'd say apply to the T14 and expect to get into the bottom half. If your LSAT goes up then you could be in for some really good news from the top half.

Sallymander

New

Post by Sallymander » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:05 pm

CandadianWolf-Thank you very much. It wasn't just a T-14 directed question. I would like to stay in a the Midwest, but am also drawn to California. I was thinking of applying to Michigan, not because I thought I could get in, but because it's where I am a resident. My GPA is a bit low. That would be due in part to a misguided attachment to Economics, even when it got the best of me.

MartianManhunter: How many points do you think I would need to increase? Right now, I do think I'll see an improvement, but it may only be slight.

Thanks, again.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Sallymander wrote:CandadianWolf-Thank you very much. It wasn't just a T-14 directed question. I would like to stay in a the Midwest, but am also drawn to California. I was thinking of applying to Michigan, not because I thought I could get in, but because it's where I am a resident. My GPA is a bit low. That would be due in part to a misguided attachment to Economics, even when it got the best of me.

MartianManhunter: How many points do you think I would need to increase? Right now, I do think I'll see an improvement, but it may only be slight.

Thanks, again.
If I were you I would ED to The University of Chicago--you will probably get in. However, still apply to all the other top 14 schools. You should definitely apply to Michigan and Northwestern ASAP. My guess is that you will get in to one of the two regular decision. If you are nervous and want to guarantee that you will get into a top midwest school ED to Northwestern. Essentially you should be in a position where you find yourself back in Ann Arbor for law school, or Hyde Park/Evanston. If you are drawn to working in California then you really should consider the ED to Chicago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Northwestern's law school is in Chicago, with the medical school, overlooking Lake Michigan near the Magnificent Mile's upscale shopping, dining & hotels; it is not on the larger Evanston campus.

JustBelieve

New

Post by JustBelieve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Michigan Law, Cornell Law, possibly even Columbia. It obviously depends on your retake but you have a strong chance at most law schools.
Very good softs, like what you have, will definitely help you. Good luck! Believe in yourself.
Sallymander wrote:Here are my stats --

3.3 from UMICH (English and Econ)
165 June LSAT (retaking in OCT)
AA Female

Taught/ volunteered abroad (Senegal) for two years after graduation.
Considering dual degree.

Any advice on where to apply?

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”