Can ED help me? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sapien

New

Can ED help me?

Post by sapien » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:13 pm

About a month ago, I went to Columbia's info session, where an admissions officer answered questions. She basically said that there's no boost given to ED applicants... Is this really true or was she just saying this to preserve the impression that the school has high standards for all those that are admitted?

I've got a 3.9x gpa and 171 LSAT on a retake from a previous score in the high-160s, so I'm wondering if EDing there makes any sense (I want to practice in nyc, so Columbia is definitely my best choice after HYS, which are improbable)...

Tanicius

Gold

Re: Can ED help me?

Post by Tanicius » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:25 pm

It certainly shouldn't hurt your chances by any means. Fortunately for you, you should get NYU with those numbers.

sapien

New

Post by sapien » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Tanicius wrote:It certainly shouldn't hurt your chances by any means. Fortunately for you, you should get NYU with those numbers.
OK. But assuming it doesn't really help, what's the point of potentially closing off other better (HYS) or cheaper (Penn w/$) options?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:27 pm

AdComms will always say that ED gives no boost when in reality it gives a slight one, though at some schools it is fairly large. ED isn't going to help someone below both medians, but it can help splitters and those who might otherwise be waitlisted.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:39 pm

bk187 wrote:AdComms will always say that ED gives no boost when in reality it gives a slight one, though at some schools it is fairly large. ED isn't going to help someone below both medians, but it can help splitters and those who might otherwise be waitlisted.
on this note can i ED to Columbia if I'm retaking the LSAT (original score is 167) or will i be str8 up denied, and not WL as I'd hope?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:43 pm

justadude55 wrote:
bk187 wrote:AdComms will always say that ED gives no boost when in reality it gives a slight one, though at some schools it is fairly large. ED isn't going to help someone below both medians, but it can help splitters and those who might otherwise be waitlisted.
on this note can i ED to Columbia if I'm retaking the LSAT (original score is 167) or will i be str8 up denied, and not WL as I'd hope?
If you are currently registered for the LSAT, your file will not go complete until your score is in, unless you specifically request that they look at it prior to getting your retake score.

sapien

New

Post by sapien » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:51 pm

What should I do in my situation then? I'd love to go to Columbia, but it would be nice to take a shot at Stanford and Harvard, too. I'm a bit below Columbia's median on the LSAT and I think I'm close to or above their 75% on the GPA. LSN shows that I have about a 50% shot at Columbia RD. Do you think ED would change that?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:56 pm

bk187 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
If you are currently registered for the LSAT, your file will not go complete until your score is in, unless you specifically request that they look at it prior to getting your retake score.
does this mean i can't apply until Nov 1? i'd like to still get into the schools my 167 is good enough at, and possibly use my Oct. score for additional $. is this workable?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:09 pm

sapien wrote:What should I do in my situation then? I'd love to go to Columbia, but it would be nice to take a shot at Stanford and Harvard, too. I'm a bit below Columbia's median on the LSAT and I think I'm close to or above their 75% on the GPA. LSN shows that I have about a 50% shot at Columbia RD. Do you think ED would change that?
Of course ED will give you an edge and increase your chances. The question is how large or how slight and is it worth losing any chance at a scholarship? I do not know the answer to that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:11 pm

justadude55 wrote:does this mean i can't apply until Nov 1? i'd like to still get into the schools my 167 is good enough at, and possibly use my Oct. score for additional $. is this workable?
You can apply, however your file won't go complete, and thus be put in line for being reviewed, until the LSAT score arrives. I don't think you can use a higher LSAT to negotiate scholarship money, you would need an acceptance at a higher school or a higher scholly at a peer school to have some leverage. Nov. 1 isn't that late if your current stats already have you as an admit, you will still have a decent shot at $$.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:14 pm

bk187 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:does this mean i can't apply until Nov 1? i'd like to still get into the schools my 167 is good enough at, and possibly use my Oct. score for additional $. is this workable?
You can apply, however your file won't go complete, and thus be put in line for being reviewed, until the LSAT score arrives. I don't think you can use a higher LSAT to negotiate scholarship money, you would need an acceptance at a higher school or a higher scholly at a peer school to have some leverage. Nov. 1 isn't that late if your current stats already have you as an admit, you will still have a decent shot at $$.
i have a special circumstance (disciplinary sanctions) that has led many others to suggest applying as early as possible so adcoms will give my application the extra attention it'll need to get me in.

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 pm

sapien wrote:
What should I do in my situation then? I'd love to go to Columbia, but it would be nice to take a shot at Stanford and Harvard, too. I'm a bit below Columbia's median on the LSAT and I think I'm close to or above their 75% on the GPA. LSN shows that I have about a 50% shot at Columbia RD. Do you think ED would change that?
If it helps at all, the ED boost really varies by school, and I think that it's rare for ED to change a decision at CLS. CLS admissions are very GPA/LSAT formulaic: http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/. WLs in green territory tend to be people who applied late rather than yield protection - as for the WL, I think a couple 171-173 applicants got an ED boost (I think you are a 168?), but that appears to be it.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:01 am

I would RD. Like someone above said you are probably going to get into NYU, which places about as well as Columbia in NYC, and honestly if say Michigan or Penn comes through with a nice $$$ offer, you might find yourself inclined to take the aid and go to one of those who also places well in NY regardless.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:23 am

If you have a top UG and/or science/engineering major, you have a shot at Harvard and Stanford, so I wouldn't ED at Columbia. Either way, you should easily get into NYU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”