172/3.6 questions Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mst

Silver

172/3.6 questions

Post by mst » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:58 am

I'm in the same boat as a recent op (3.6, distinct upward trend, one time test in June: 172) with good softs on the involvement/internship side but no w.e. I would have left this in that thread but they weren't going to get answered. Any help would be super appreciated. And please believe me, I have spent months going through LSN & LSP... I know there might be some self-selection going on though. Additionally, the LSN pool for 172/(3.55-3.65) is like 15 people from last year, so that's kind of pointless. So please, somebody with some deep knowledge about these schools chip in....

First:
-Is ED at CCN worth it? Is there a possibility that I can get into other T10's or that one of the T14+UCLA+USC+WUSTL would give me $? Do we really stand more than a lucky-shot chance with CCN with RD? If I were willing to commit to RDing to either Columbia or NYU, which would you suggest based off my numbers... or is it a toss up that I need to feel out due to which one I like more?
-Can I get into UCLA with this GPA? I know Berkeley is a long shot so I probably won't apply there (even though that school would be awesomeee). If I somehow get in at UCLA, am I looking at any chance for cash? I would love to have UCLA as an option, but I don't want to put too much focus on this in the app process if I don't stand much of a chance, and I potentially stand a great chance at a T14.
-USC cash? (Can I basically count on getting in and treat it as my safety? Or do I need to apply downward more...)
-Georgetown: In or out?
-Cornell: In or out? Can I get cash? Should I EA?
-Honestly, I'm not ecstatic about being stuck in Penn or Michigan for 3 years, and I'm not going to jump through the loops with their "Why x?" essays if it will detract from my other apps? How worthwhile do you think applying to these schools (MDPV) is with my numbers considering how minimal my interest is in them outside of the fact they are T10s?
-UF: Can I get a full ride at a school like this or is it stripped for cash (state resident)? Should I apply to FSU to build up more of a chance for cash?? I'll be applying to UF either way, in the off case money/family issues arise and I need to stay in FL.
-George Washington as a safety/cash bet?

Thanks. Whoever answers these questions the best will be my TLS BFF for life.

PS: Cities that I would loooove to go to school in (no order): NY, LA, SF, Chicago, DC. And I want to be able to have either a transferable degree (to practice in any of the above cities) or a degree that will give me lee-way within Cali.

agentzer0

Bronze

Re: 172/3.6 questions

Post by agentzer0 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:07 pm

mst wrote:I'm in the same boat as a recent op (3.6, distinct upward trend, one time test in June: 172) with good softs on the involvement/internship side but no w.e. I would have left this in that thread but they weren't going to get answered. Any help would be super appreciated. And please believe me, I have spent months going through LSN & LSP... I know there might be some self-selection going on though. Additionally, the LSN pool for 172/(3.55-3.65) is like 15 people from last year, so that's kind of pointless. So please, somebody with some deep knowledge about these schools chip in....

First:
-Is ED at CCN worth it? Is there a possibility that I can get into other T10's or that one of the T14+UCLA+USC+WUSTL would give me $? Do we really stand more than a lucky-shot chance with CCN with RD? If I were willing to commit to RDing to either Columbia or NYU, which would you suggest based off my numbers... or is it a toss up that I need to feel out due to which one I like more?
-Can I get into UCLA with this GPA? I know Berkeley is a long shot so I probably won't apply there (even though that school would be awesomeee). If I somehow get in at UCLA, am I looking at any chance for cash? I would love to have UCLA as an option, but I don't want to put too much focus on this in the app process if I don't stand much of a chance, and I potentially stand a great chance at a T14.
-USC cash? (Can I basically count on getting in and treat it as my safety? Or do I need to apply downward more...)
-Honestly, I'm not ecstatic about being stuck in Penn or Michigan for 3 years, and I'm not going to jump through the loops with their "Why x?" essays if it will detract from my other apps? How worthwhile do you think applying to these schools (MDPV) is with my numbers considering how minimal my interest is in them outside of the fact they are T10s?
-UF: Can I get a full ride at a school like this or is it stripped for cash (state resident)? Should I apply to FSU to build up more of a chance for cash?? I'll be applying to UF either way, in the off case money/family issues arise and I need to stay in FL.

Thanks. Whoever answers these questions the best will be my TLS BFF for life.

PS: Cities that I would loooove to go to school in (no order): NY, LA, SF, Chicago, DC. And I want to be able to have either a transferable degree (to practice in any of the above cities) or a degree that will give me lee-way within Cali.
1) Don't ED at CCN. DO apply early to CCN, as in apply in September; you should get at least 1. You do have good chances at other T10's as well, some will WL you, some will take you, if you want a certain school or schools, write Why X's. Yes, you can probably get some money at T20's.
2) Yes you can get UCLA, No you cannot get Boalt. Some cash at UCLA possible.
3) USC is auto-admit.
4) Georgetown - who cares? Don't go here, you'll have better options.
5) Cornell - in, money possible, don't count on it.
6) You should apply to at least MVP, probably also D. Just do it. Pick one and write a Why X. If you get in, go visit, then decide.
7) If something unfortunate arises and you are stuck in FL, don't go to UF or FSU without a full-ride.
8) GW is safety, probably cash as well.

Just wrapped a very successful cycle with similar numbers. You're in a good place, just APPLY EARLY.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks for the straightforward responses. It's unbelievably hard for me to imagine getting into Georgetown, much less being in a position to say "who cares?" haha. Especially when 3-4 months ago I was preptesting in the low 160's/high 150's, dreaming of a quick admit into UF...

Would you really be so quick to dismiss Georgetown from other T14's? I would probably pick it over UVA, Penn, Duke, and maybe even Michigan... is this just stupid on my part... should I be doing more research on these schools advantages over the even lower t14?

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:47 pm

mst wrote:Thanks for the straightforward responses. It's unbelievably hard for me to imagine getting into Georgetown, much less being in a position to say "who cares?" haha. Especially when 3-4 months ago I was preptesting in the low 160's/high 150's, dreaming of a quick admit into UF...

Would you really be so quick to dismiss Georgetown from other T14's? I would probably pick it over UVA, Penn, Duke, and maybe even Michigan... is this just stupid on my part... should I be doing more research on these schools advantages over the even lower t14?
Yes. If it were your best option it would be worthwhile attending, but it will not be your best option. UVA, Penn, Duke, and Michigan are all much better picks than Georgetown, especially UVA if, for example, you want DC.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:56 pm

I guess my assumptions have always been wrongly based on the idea that even though these schools are national, a great majority of the students practice where their schools are (Penn in philly., michigan in detroit/ohio cities, duke in NC, UVA in Virginia). I just can't bare the though of risking being stuck in Pennsylvania or Michigan for the rest of my life, so I hope these ideas are where I've been mistaken.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Last edited by Sentry on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:38 pm

mst wrote:I guess my assumptions have always been wrongly based on the idea that even though these schools are national, a great majority of the students practice where their schools are (Penn in philly., michigan in detroit/ohio cities, duke in NC, UVA in Virginia). I just can't bare the though of risking being stuck in Pennsylvania or Michigan for the rest of my life, so I hope these ideas are where I've been mistaken.
For the record, you are mistaken. Michigan places great nationally but mostly in NYC. Penn places mostly in NYC and some in DC. Duke places mostly in NYC and UVA places mostly in DC.

Georgetown is a decent school and you should go if that's the best one you get into but it's far below Penn and Michigan.

I have similar numbers. 3.6/173 (on a retake). I'm thinking about EDing NYU, Penn, or Chicago. What do you guys think?

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:20 am

I'm a little confused about the GPA/LSAT balance I see on this forum. I just read a thread, in which a person with a 3.5 from HYP and an LSAT of 180 was told his stats are too low (for HYS and possibly, though not necessarily, for CCN). So, it seems that a slightly lower GPA and a perfect LSAT give overall worse chances than a more balanced profile with a pretty good, but more achievable LSAT, made up for with a more A- type GPA?

My musings aside, I think OP is a very competitive candidate for the schools (s)he is looking at. : ) But how certain can one be of an acceptance (as opposed to a WL) to those schools, when one has about average scores for acceptance?

Good luck and I'll keep following your thread : ).

bubba

New

Post by bubba » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:29 am

As someone who applied this cycle with similar numbers, i disagree with some of the above advice.

If you want CCN, apply ED. You're borderline for a WL and won't likely get any aid money.

Aid $ is possible at MVP (especially M and V) if you can avoid being yield protected.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:41 pm

I think you should apply ED to CCN. I think your chances of getting in RD are kind of slim. These schools have better job prospects than the T10's/T14/UCLA/USC/WUSTL.. in the long run, I think, it's the smart choice to pick the best-ranked school you get into.

Berkeley, no. I think you have a really good chance of getting into UCLA. UCLA is more forgiving of lower GPAs as long as the LSAT is high (which yours is).

USC should be enough- I'd be surprised if you didn't get a lot of $$$ from this school.

In. I don't know if you'd get money or not but I think they'd definitely accept you.

Yes, you'll probably get a nice scholly from Cornell. You're in.

If you wouldn't go to Penn or Michigan, don't apply. If you would, apply.

Since you are a FL resident, I think you could get full tuition scholly.

Maybe- you might be better off relying on UF as your ultimate safety/cash bet though.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks Strangelove, great sound advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”