3.59 GPA/171 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Heat

Bronze

3.59 GPA/171 LSAT

Post by Heat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:18 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by Heat on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: 3.59 GPA/171 LSAT

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Heat wrote:So I took the June LSAT and got a 171. I was averaging around 169 on practice tests so I'm definitely happy I broke into the 170s. I have nothing going for me really other than hard numbers. My LORs should be what I'd consider normal (nothing too bad but nothing too good) and I'd say the same for my personal statement. I'm white and I come from a pretty well off family so I didn't really have anything to overcome. On the bright side I don't have anything negative really. I worked full time one summer, part time one summer, and did an internship for my Assemblywoman. I had a managerial position both during that internship and now which I figure is a plus for leadership skills. Only other thing I can think of that might matter is I'm from New York (past 15 years) and I go to SUNY Binghamton - I was gonna just say a SUNY school but I suppose its at least the highest ranked. I'm also going to be graduating at 20 because I skipped a grade, which I've read could help or hurt depending on the school.

Anyway I've looked at these forums for hours as well as LSP and LSN but what I'm having trouble figuring is ED. I'm fine with going to a school at sticker if its one of the top schools I'm applying to. I'm from NY but I plan on practicing South East more likely than not so my list looks like this:

Duke
UVA
Georgetown
Cornell
Vanderbilt
GW
Emory
W & M
UGA
W & L

My biggest question I suppose is what kind of a chance do I have with the lower GPA and does ED at Duke help at all? LSP seems to say yes but I'm having trouble finding any real information on it. Also any other comments will be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't ED at any of those schools, you have a very good chance at all of them without the ED and therefore you may be able to work out some merit aid.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:26 pm

<delete>
Last edited by Heat on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Heat wrote:So I took the June LSAT and got a 171. I was averaging around 169 on practice tests so I'm definitely happy I broke into the 170s. I have nothing going for me really other than hard numbers. My LORs should be what I'd consider normal (nothing too bad but nothing too good) and I'd say the same for my personal statement. I'm white and I come from a pretty well off family so I didn't really have anything to overcome. On the bright side I don't have anything negative really. I worked full time one summer, part time one summer, and did an internship for my Assemblywoman. I had a managerial position both during that internship and now which I figure is a plus for leadership skills. Only other thing I can think of that might matter is I'm from New York (past 15 years) and I go to SUNY Binghamton - I was gonna just say a SUNY school but I suppose its at least the highest ranked. I'm also going to be graduating at 20 because I skipped a grade, which I've read could help or hurt depending on the school.

Anyway I've looked at these forums for hours as well as LSP and LSN but what I'm having trouble figuring is ED. I'm fine with going to a school at sticker if its one of the top schools I'm applying to. I'm from NY but I plan on practicing South East more likely than not so my list looks like this:

Duke
UVA
Georgetown
Cornell
Vanderbilt
GW
Emory
W & M
UGA
W & L

My biggest question I suppose is what kind of a chance do I have with the lower GPA and does ED at Duke help at all? LSP seems to say yes but I'm having trouble finding any real information on it. Also any other comments will be greatly appreciated.
I have one comment/suggestion: make sure you apply early (or rather just before December/January). I have very similar numbers, which are right on the cusp of many schools. Consequently, if you apply later than sooner you will get a truckload of waitlists. good luck

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Heat wrote:LSN seems to suggest that I'm basically wait listed at Duke and UVA so I was hoping maybe ED at Duke would help me push the envelope a little bit and maybe get in. It's true though I'd like to be able to consider my options if I had a real shot at Duke without ED. All these predictors are so damn pessimistic! Haha.
I think you definitely have a great shot at Duke. UVA is kind of a toss-up. If you're not dead set on those two, I wouldn't ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:46 pm

dominkay wrote:
I think you definitely have a great shot at Duke. UVA is kind of a toss-up. If you're not dead set on those two, I wouldn't ED.
+1

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:11 pm

<delete>
Last edited by Heat on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

granger

Bronze

Post by granger » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:46 pm

Weird. Was looking for recent threads on score/GPA combos and I find a numbers twin from my university. Anyway, 3.64/171 here with a very similar background, right down to the mediocre softs. Very curious about non-ED chances at Duke, UVA, Penn, Michigan. Don't mean to hijack a thread but I figure it's all the same to just bump this one.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 pm

granger wrote:Weird. Was looking for recent threads on score/GPA combos and I find a numbers twin from my university. Anyway, 3.64/171 here with a very similar background, right down to the mediocre softs. Very curious about non-ED chances at Duke, UVA, Penn, Michigan. Don't mean to hijack a thread but I figure it's all the same to just bump this one.
It might be different this year, but in 2009 I was in at Mich and Penn and out at UVA and Duke with a 3.4/171, no real softs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:46 am

<delete>
Last edited by Heat on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachel berry

New

Post by rachel berry » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:47 am

these were my exact numbers for this past cycle. I was in at uchicago, penn, michigan, virginia, duke, and ucla.

I too am not a URM and don't have any particularly special softs - my only guess is that maybe my undergrad helped my cause (top 10). I also applied very early to all but chicago.

good luck to you!

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am

Doesn't UVA promise a decision within 15 days for ED? If so, you could ED there early, and then apply elsewhere if they don't take you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”