Visit Timing

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
pizzafan

New

Visit Timing

Post by pizzafan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am

I'm trying to be strategic with my law school visits. I sent in my applications mid october. At this point I can't attend any open houses because of my schedule, but I can do self guided tours. I have not received decisions yet, but my apps are complete. Should I visit now and send a followup for my file, or wait, see if I end up on waitlists (which is likely as a reverse splitter) and use the visits as a potential boost? (I could also do both tbh, but I just want the biggest boosts possible, and idk if visits have meaning after one!) Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Visit Timing

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:07 pm

It doesn't matter at all. Go when you'll get a good idea of what school is like (i.e. a weekday when classes are in session). You're not going to boost your admissions chances by visiting, though.

Tom Reinhard

New

Post by Tom Reinhard » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:49 am

pizzafan wrote:I'm trying to be strategic with my law school visits. I sent in my applications mid october. At this point I can't attend any open houses because of my schedule, but I can do self guided tours. I have not received decisions yet, but my apps are complete. Should I visit now and send a followup for my file, or wait, see if I end up on waitlists (which is likely as a reverse splitter) and use the visits as a potential boost? (I could also do both tbh, but I just want the biggest boosts possible, and idk if visits have meaning after one!) Thanks!

Great plans, I think.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Many law school admissions offices have explicit policies about disregarding visits so as not to advantage wealthy/local applicants over everyone else. The rest don't care because it doesn't matter.

If you get waitlisted as a reverse-splitter I'd strongly consider an LSAT retake before anything else.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:05 pm

As a reverse splitter, it'd be a far better use of your time to study for and retake the LSAT than to (frankly) waste significant amounts of time/money visiting law schools in an effort to boost your admissions chances.

(I'd say that even a compelling Why X is more likely to move the needle than an in-person visit. Relatively speaking, of course. Law schools are all about LSAC GPA and LSAT, and any soft - bar something truly extraordinary - really only matters around the edges.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”