Visiting Schools Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
dontrogerthat

New

Visiting Schools

Post by dontrogerthat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:59 pm

Is the general consensus to check out law schools after applying/being admitted? For undergrad it seemed like most people checked out schools before getting a decision back, not sure how it is for law schools. Any opinions?

shump92

Bronze

Re: Visiting Schools

Post by shump92 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:07 pm

I never visited a school before getting in unless I happened to already be in the area. To me you only have the risk of being disappointed by getting a rejection. That would also be a potential waste of your money on plan ticket/lodging. You will have time to visit after being admitted.

dontrogerthat

New

Post by dontrogerthat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:09 pm

shump92 wrote:I never visited a school before getting in unless I happened to already be in the area. To me you only have the risk of being disappointed by getting a rejection. That would also be a potential waste of your money on plan ticket/lodging. You will have time to visit after being admitted.
I definitely wouldn't be visiting anywhere that required flying/lodging unless I got in. I was contemplating making some driving trips to a few schools ranging from 1-3 hours during summer when I'm free, but I'm unsure if it's really worth it before acceptance. Thanks for the input!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:16 pm

dontrogerthat wrote:Is the general consensus to check out law schools after applying/being admitted? For undergrad it seemed like most people checked out schools before getting a decision back, not sure how it is for law schools. Any opinions?
I was one who took an adventure to a school before I got accepted (plane ride and lodging). It was also a sort of weekend vacation, so it wasn't completely packed with university stuff. I also love checking out other universities (and their respective cities) so that may differ between some people. I actually ended up getting rejected, but it made me want to try even harder to get accepted on my next application. Retook the LSAT and everything because I loved the campus and area so much. I've since labeled it my number 2 schools because my now number 1 hope is a bit higher ranked, but I wouldn't be disappointed to go to this one.

It can be valuable to know what the school is like even if you don't get accepted. If you like the faculty, students, and campus enough then it can give you motivation to take another year of WE and stuff to get accepted on another cycle.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 pm

dontrogerthat wrote:
shump92 wrote:I never visited a school before getting in unless I happened to already be in the area. To me you only have the risk of being disappointed by getting a rejection. That would also be a potential waste of your money on plan ticket/lodging. You will have time to visit after being admitted.
I definitely wouldn't be visiting anywhere that required flying/lodging unless I got in. I was contemplating making some driving trips to a few schools ranging from 1-3 hours during summer when I'm free, but I'm unsure if it's really worth it before acceptance. Thanks for the input!
If its a school that's realistic based on your numbers then its not crazy to check it out now while you have some free time

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 pm

dontrogerthat wrote:Is the general consensus to check out law schools after applying/being admitted?
Yes. I went to 3 ASWs. All mostly paid for. ND reimbursed $600. That was dope. Had a lot of fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”