ASW stipends for visiting Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
john1990

Silver

ASW stipends for visiting

Post by john1990 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:32 pm

I was offered some $$$ to visit a law school i was recently accepted. Do they still reimburse this money if i decide not to attend?

IrishJew

Bronze

Re: ASW stipends for visiting

Post by IrishJew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:08 pm

This has never happened to me with Law Schools, but it has happened to me with employers and colleges. (Back in the day Stanford College used to pay airfare for admitted students on the east coast to come visit). The norm in all these cases has been no-strings-attached. They want you to come see a school you might otherwise not visit and see all the great things about it. I would be very surprised (based only on the info you've given) if they asked for it back.

However, the SMARTEST thing you can do is just ask them. If they want you to come visit, they know (or think) you are on the fence and asking won't scare them off. (After all, if they were sure they were your number 1 school, they wouldn't waste money bringing you out). As long as the money gets you to show up, they will have considered it to serve its purpose.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:22 pm

If they offer you a travel stipend and you spend money travelling to the school, you get paid back, regardless of where you end up. Some schools will even cut you a check the day of ASW.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:56 am

There are no strings attached. I just need to come up with the airfare ahead of time and it will be paid back in 4-6 weeks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”