Hofstra Status Change Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Helena22

New

Re: Hofstra Status Change

Post by Helena22 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:43 pm

My status went blank probably a week before I got my acceptance? 25K, I think? Random but did everyone else get a little handwritten note on top of the formal acceptance, lol?

Tsmith448

New

Post by Tsmith448 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:49 pm

I am planning on calling but when I was reading Hofstra's scholarship letter it sounds like the scholarship is cut in half your second and third year. Am I just totally reading it wrong or have other people read it the same way?

EDIT- Yes I got a handwritten letter as well it was very nice.
Last edited by Tsmith448 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

premierock

New

Post by premierock » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Helena22 wrote:My status went blank probably a week before I got my acceptance? 25K, I think? Random but did everyone else get a little handwritten note on top of the formal acceptance, lol?
I got a hand written letter - damn it I really thought I was special!!!!

stickchick

New

Post by stickchick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:34 am

Tsmith - i just got an acceptance letter as well and it seems to me that the scholarship will be cut in half the second and third years ... weird/disappointing - let me know what they say if you call .... it would be appreciated!

olesya154

New

Post by olesya154 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Got my acceptance letter yesterday. I think that I am one of the first part-timers to get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:51 pm

I was offered 27k a year but no mention of a second year cutback. They did require a 3.25 to keep the money though and that seems a bit high given I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. Good luck to everyone thats still waiting!

stickchick

New

Post by stickchick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:10 pm

so to answer my own question - and if anybody else has any input - i reread the scholarship offer and i think it says "it will apply half this amount to any subsequent fall/spring semesters..." means that because the 27.5 is for the whole year, after the first year - half of that amount will be applied to a fall semester, and half to a spring semester (same amount as before they just divide it into semesters) i'm assuming this is because it goes on to further say that you can't use it towards any summer or other sessions .... the wording is a bit weird but i don't think they are cutting it in half

DURS

New

Post by DURS » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:45 am

stickchick wrote:so to answer my own question - and if anybody else has any input - i reread the scholarship offer and i think it says "it will apply half this amount to any subsequent fall/spring semesters..." means that because the 27.5 is for the whole year, after the first year - half of that amount will be applied to a fall semester, and half to a spring semester (same amount as before they just divide it into semesters) i'm assuming this is because it goes on to further say that you can't use it towards any summer or other sessions .... the wording is a bit weird but i don't think they are cutting it in half
That's how I read it too.

wrapitup

New

Post by wrapitup » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:29 am

funny, i read it that the scholly is cut in half in the 2nd and 3rd year too. my hand-written letter said that they were particularly impressed with the fact that i played in the israel softball league world series....R U KIDDING???

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:58 am

wrapitup wrote:funny, i read it that the scholly is cut in half in the 2nd and 3rd year too. my hand-written letter said that they were particularly impressed with the fact that i played in the israel softball league world series....R U KIDDING???

is who kidding?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02 pm

anyone had their status checker go blank and NOT get in?

Mine went blank today at both Hofstra and Catholic (of course im only asking about Hofstra though)

n/m re-read the thread....status goes blank when you have a decision (accept/reject)

Amir

New

Post by Amir » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:59 pm

In yesterday via snail mail. Part time program. :)

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:22 pm

How long ago did you go blank Amir?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Amir

New

Post by Amir » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 am

hombredulce wrote:How long ago did you go blank Amir?
Went blank Thursday Feb 26 and received the letter the following Wed (Mar 4).

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:33 pm

In with $$$ :)

Amir

New

Post by Amir » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:01 pm

hombredulce wrote:In with $$$ :)
Congrats! 8)

stickchick

New

Post by stickchick » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:19 am

does anybody know how to rsvp to the accepted students day? is there somewhere to register online, or do you just need to call?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Amir

New

Post by Amir » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:08 am

stickchick wrote:does anybody know how to rsvp to the accepted students day? is there somewhere to register online, or do you just need to call?
You need to call the admissions office.

stickchick

New

Post by stickchick » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:25 pm

thank you i called and registered! also - i am STILL having trouble getting on the accepted students website ... i've tried law.hofstra.edu/admittedstudent and /accepted students and neither of the two will work - they both take forever to load and then it says page not found or some other error message - am i the only one?

Amir

New

Post by Amir » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:36 pm

stickchick wrote:thank you i called and registered! also - i am STILL having trouble getting on the accepted students website ... i've tried law.hofstra.edu/admittedstudent and /accepted students and neither of the two will work - they both take forever to load and then it says page not found or some other error message - am i the only one?
Nope. I'm in the same boat. I'm guessing we'll be able to log on when we get the letter with instructions on how to sign on. Maybe they just haven't set up our accounts. Who knows.

Amir

New

Post by Amir » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Anyone know what, if any, the appropriate attire is for admitted students day?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HoldOnToYourButts

New

Post by HoldOnToYourButts » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:40 pm

DURS wrote:
stickchick wrote:so to answer my own question - and if anybody else has any input - i reread the scholarship offer and i think it says "it will apply half this amount to any subsequent fall/spring semesters..." means that because the 27.5 is for the whole year, after the first year - half of that amount will be applied to a fall semester, and half to a spring semester (same amount as before they just divide it into semesters) i'm assuming this is because it goes on to further say that you can't use it towards any summer or other sessions .... the wording is a bit weird but i don't think they are cutting it in half
That's how I read it too.

I emailed them asking them about this before I read this thread. They have yet to respond to my e-mail, but I'll let everyone know what the deal is once I get a response.

jasonac21

New

Post by jasonac21 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:16 pm

Anonymous0L wrote:
holmesNYC wrote:
Jwatson wrote: Schools WL or Deny applicants above their medians all the time. Sometimes, (but rarely) for YP.
Yeah, I know, but I'm still no less surprised. YP would be out of the question, I think.

I'm just wondering if this deferred date necessarily means something bad, like WL or deny? Could they be holding the app for some other reason?
Some schools deferrals mean you are probably in, just at later date. (Northeastern, Miami, MSU are great examples of this [see lsn])

Deferrals are better than WLs regardless. I have friends that attend Hofstra (since I am NYC based), and most of them told me if you don't get into the FT program, they will most likely offer you a PT spot.
I'm wondering where you read this. I ask because my status checker at MSU changed to re-review in February, a school I thought would be a shoo-in for me. Thanks!

EDIT: Ooops, just realized this thread is a bit old. Regardless, I'd like to know!

Mullyman

New

Post by Mullyman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Hey, My application was received on 1/21/10 and I got an acceptance e-mail today.... does anybody know when I will get info on $$$? Does it come in the packet that was mailed out? Thanks!

secretasianman

New

Post by secretasianman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 pm

my first acceptance.. woo hoo!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”