In at UC Hastings!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thelawdad

New

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Post by thelawdad » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:43 pm

2 months ago when my friend's D got admitted by Hastings and I asked my D (1L) if she would give her a tour. My D said No. I was a bit offended and surprised by D's reply because she is friendly person and out of character......but my D went on and explained that she has so much more she can do in her work/study and she can't afford to "waste" her time as she must remain focused. She spends typically 12-14 hours a day (7 days a week) between attending classes and studying. This may be the reason why she is in the top 10% of her class and getting a summer judicial externship.

Well. this is my theory (at the risk of offending those Hastings students who generously supported ASD with their time) that you may not seen the top students during ASD.

artp

New

Post by artp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:48 pm

I actually spoke with a 3L student who wasn't part of the ASD group, but he was a perfect example of what a successful UCH student should be. Top of his class, clerked for a judge, worked for a patent law firm during his 2l summer, is on UCH law journal and has a job offer and he'll be starting this summer at $160k/yr for a patent firm. Of course, in this economy, I think he's an exception to the rule. Many of the 3Ls will be struggling to find employment and I think ASD student panel gave a pretty accurate representation of the state of our economy and what a typical student should be expecting these days in terms of job offers. It’s difficult for experienced attorneys to find work let alone new grads.
craneaa wrote:
underpirate57 wrote:I attended the first ASD, but I did not attend the student panel. I am worried (understatement) to read that the panelists did not have jobs. My question is: did any of these students talk about what they were doing to get jobs? Did they talk about why they didn't have offers? Did they still recommend Hastings? I know that if I was an unemployed 3L, I would not praise UCH--I would tell all the admitted students to not attend!

Anyone who was there, please let me know.
One of the 3L's said he has a prospective job with the California state government, but his position may not be available after taking the bar due to budget considerations (I believe this was the case, perhaps someone can more definitively say so). Another one said the firm she worked at during 2L summer dissolved. The third one didn't really elaborate, he merely said he had a few leads but nothing definite. They were all very enthusiastic about the school, for sure, and none of them blamed Hastings or anything like that.

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:48 pm

jdub wrote:If you're going to have a student panel, one must assume that you would select your most impressive students to be on the panel. If those were your most impressive students, then thanks but no thanks.

Similarly, if you choose tour guides that aren't informed about your school, don't have jobs, and can't tell me where I can get answers to my questions that they can't answer themselves, why select those people to be tour guides??? Again, one would assume they would choose their most impressive students, and again, I failed to be impressed. To put it mildly.
You do realize that people volunteer to "work" at these events, right? I'm sure they take whoever they can get that actually wants to be there at 9:30am on a Saturday. I don't think they "select" anyone besides sending out a request saying "please help us with this." They probably do not have much choice at all in who speaks on the panel.

Honestly I think some of you have expectations for ASDs that are way too high. If you are expecting the ASD to give you 100% of the info needed to make your choice, then that won't happen. The ASD is just supplemental information about specific non-quantifiable aspects of the school: attitudes of students and faculty, overall atmosphere, and the things the school values (for example, not all ASDs have a career services presentation; that Hastings does says something. Similarly, UC Davis had a presentation on their IT department). If you want to know about job prospects, go look up that information. It isn't hard to find and will tell you a thousand times more than you'll ever get out of any student volunteer at an ASD.

pachydermavenger

New

Post by pachydermavenger » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Hey, i am 1L hastings student and I am willing to take questions. PM if you want, but I might not get back right away.

pachydermavenger

New

Post by pachydermavenger » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:22 pm

anyone who wanted to be on the panel could be. they did not filter based on grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:37 pm

thelawdad wrote:2 months ago when my friend's D got admitted by Hastings and I asked my D (1L) if she would give her a tour. My D said No. I was a bit offended and surprised by D's reply because she is friendly person and out of character......but my D went on and explained that she has so much more she can do in her work/study and she can't afford to "waste" her time as she must remain focused. She spends typically 12-14 hours a day (7 days a week) between attending classes and studying. This may be the reason why she is in the top 10% of her class and getting a summer judicial externship.

Well. this is my theory (at the risk of offending those Hastings students who generously supported ASD with their time) that you may not seen the top students during ASD.
If that's what it takes to get in the top 10%, I dont even think I want it. Let's see...thats 7 am to 9pm (unless she is a total slacker that day and studies only 12 hours) on Saturday and Sunday. No time even for Sunday School & Church? :P

ria29

New

Post by ria29 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:47 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:LEOP Applicants: Who else is still waiting? Are we finished?
Still waiting :x

baycat80

New

Post by baycat80 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:42 pm

reading this thread makes me feel like i'm reading a hastings bashing forum, haha. please allow me to give my completely biased two cents.

i too am sorry if some of you (or most of you) had a horrible asd. i only went to half of the asd (got there during lunch, can't miss that), mainly because i've been to several hastings outreach events before, so i felt like i already had a pretty good idea of their fin aid and career prospects. i spoke to several alum at the asd, as well as at last thursday's alum event in sf. overall, i have to say i have a great feeling about hastings. like someone posted before, i met several past and recent hastings alums who have great jobs, making 6 figures and are happy with their lives. does this mean that everyone who gets a hastings law degree will experience such success? of course not. but hearing from 4 jobless 3L's also doesn't mean that's how you'll end up either.

now, i hear what you guys are saying. it's the asd, so you wanna hear some good stuff. all i'm saying is that the good stuff is there, you just have to talk to the right people. i don't think the asd is as much a microcosm of hastings' student body as would be preferable for such an event. and i agree, they definitely could have done a better job selling the school.

i attended the leop reception and met some incredibly bright people who are doing all sorts of judicial externships, law journals, moot court competitions, studying abroad, you name it. i met a 3L in leop who already had a $160k job at a patent law firm waiting for him. once again, he may be the exception. but it's nice to know that these people at hastings exist, especially in this economy.

at any rate, weigh the pros and cons, sleep on it, and come to a decision that best fits you. just make sure you consider everyyyything, not just the horribly planned asd =P

good luck guys!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:46 pm

I'm still attending, despite the lackluster ASD.

I guess I was naive...I had this imagine in my mind of a UC law school being near the pinnacle of California legal education (you know, given that there are something like 20+ legit and 60-70 total CA law schools), and I guess I was expecting to hear something like that. But after all Hastings is the 5th/6th best school in CA so I guess we all need to ground our expectations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

craneaa

New

Post by craneaa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:55 pm

pachydermavenger wrote:Hey, i am 1L hastings student and I am willing to take questions. PM if you want, but I might not get back right away.
Thanks for taking questions. Is the "cutthroat" rep totally bogus? How are the classes/faculty- are you impressed, are they lacking, are they helpful and happy to talk during office hours? How do you find the large class size- do you even notice it? Is it a positive or a negative? Are you active in any clubs/organizations? I guess my biggest concern coming from UCH is job prospects, since Boalt and Stanford are two giant competitors in UCH's backyard. Since you're a 1L, you may not be able to answer this, but do UCH grads often get passed over for Berkeley or Stanford grads for judicial clerkships/top law firm jobs?

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Current 1L ~

I also am grateful for your offer to take questions. Here are some of mine:

Do you have an area of interest? I am interested in evironmental and land use law, do you know any students with this area of interest? If so, do they feel supported by a school that is not known for this area of specialization? Have they been able to find jobs or externships in this area?

Are there any professors that would be useful to talk to regarding environmental or land use law? There weren't any at ASD, and so I found two on the website and have tried to contact them, but haven't had any luck. Any advice?

What other schools were you considering when you were applying to Hastings, and what helped you make your final decision? Location? Cost/financial aid? Ranking? A specific experience or conversation you had with a current student or faculty member?

What sorts of academic resources are available to students who are not part of LEOP? UC Davis touts their 'Academic Success Services' to prospective students. Does UC Hastings have a similar program for students?

pachydermavenger

New

Post by pachydermavenger » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:17 pm

craneaa wrote:
pachydermavenger wrote:Hey, i am 1L hastings student and I am willing to take questions. PM if you want, but I might not get back right away.
Thanks for taking questions. Is the "cutthroat" rep totally bogus? How are the classes/faculty- are you impressed, are they lacking, are they helpful and happy to talk during office hours? How do you find the large class size- do you even notice it? Is it a positive or a negative? Are you active in any clubs/organizations? I guess my biggest concern coming from UCH is job prospects, since Boalt and Stanford are two giant competitors in UCH's backyard. Since you're a 1L, you may not be able to answer this, but do UCH grads often get passed over for Berkeley or Stanford grads for judicial clerkships/top law firm jobs?
1. cut throat is not totally bogus. i think it depends on how you approach law school here. it is competitive, but people do form study groups and do share outlines and notes.
2. professors vary. some are great, some i have not been too happy with. I think everyone here feels that way. overall, I am impressed with the faculty here. Everyone that I have spoken with during office hours has been helpful to varying degrees, but all hold office hours, and will help clear up questions. They won't tell you whats on the exam.
3. class size- dont notice the large class size because we are divided into sections of about 80 kids per section. there are still people I don't know that are 1Ls, but I know everyone in my section. I would say the large class size is mostly an advantage. As a 3L mentioned to me, the people you meet here will have various positions of power in every segment of the law, so the opportunity to meet more people is a good thing. Its honestly not something that I have deliberately considered until now.
4. I was active in General assistance advocacy program during the first semester, but failed to continue with it. Also, I was involved with the Asian umbrella group, and am marginalyl involved there. Both experiences are positive, but given that I have other interests outside (and books) I have not taken on a major role at either of these.
5. As a student, I do not know much more about the boalt/stanford problem. As a student, I don't have any special expertise. Someone at the top of hastings (like, lets say top third) probably competes on the same ground as someone who is near the bottom of stanford or boalt. The attitude I take is to ignore stanford and boalt, and just focus on getting into the top third, because the top third of the 1L class is in a good position for biglaw at OCI. That sounds comptetitive, but also consider that many who are pursuing public interest don't care too much about grades. So if you are dead set on biglaw or judicial stuff, then yeah, its going to be competitive, I won't lie. And yes, as a 1L, I am not totally sure about the stanford-boalt stuff, i am speaking from the sense I get here from others.

craneaa

New

Post by craneaa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:48 pm

pachydermavenger wrote:
1. cut throat is not totally bogus. i think it depends on how you approach law school here. it is competitive, but people do form study groups and do share outlines and notes.
2. professors vary. some are great, some i have not been too happy with. I think everyone here feels that way. overall, I am impressed with the faculty here. Everyone that I have spoken with during office hours has been helpful to varying degrees, but all hold office hours, and will help clear up questions. They won't tell you whats on the exam.
3. class size- dont notice the large class size because we are divided into sections of about 80 kids per section. there are still people I don't know that are 1Ls, but I know everyone in my section. I would say the large class size is mostly an advantage. As a 3L mentioned to me, the people you meet here will have various positions of power in every segment of the law, so the opportunity to meet more people is a good thing. Its honestly not something that I have deliberately considered until now.
4. I was active in General assistance advocacy program during the first semester, but failed to continue with it. Also, I was involved with the Asian umbrella group, and am marginalyl involved there. Both experiences are positive, but given that I have other interests outside (and books) I have not taken on a major role at either of these.
5. As a student, I do not know much more about the boalt/stanford problem. As a student, I don't have any special expertise. Someone at the top of hastings (like, lets say top third) probably competes on the same ground as someone who is near the bottom of stanford or boalt. The attitude I take is to ignore stanford and boalt, and just focus on getting into the top third, because the top third of the 1L class is in a good position for biglaw at OCI. That sounds comptetitive, but also consider that many who are pursuing public interest don't care too much about grades. So if you are dead set on biglaw or judicial stuff, then yeah, its going to be competitive, I won't lie. And yes, as a 1L, I am not totally sure about the stanford-boalt stuff, i am speaking from the sense I get here from others.
Thanks for your candor. I guess my only remaining question is: would you recommend UCH?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:00 pm

ria29 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:LEOP Applicants: Who else is still waiting? Are we finished?
Still waiting :x
*hugs*

we'll be alright.

MBP916

New

Post by MBP916 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:43 am

I still haven't heard from Hastings. Does anyone know if their application cycle is still going on? I'm above their median LSAT and a little below median GPA and haven't heard a peep out of them since January.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:05 am

MBP916 wrote:I still haven't heard from Hastings. Does anyone know if their application cycle is still going on? I'm above their median LSAT and a little below median GPA and haven't heard a peep out of them since January.
The assistant dean of admissions told me on Saturday that they still have 2000 applications to review.

Lior

New

Post by Lior » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Waitlisted via email today. Really?

I guess this means I have to write a LOCI. :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:13 pm

swheat wrote:
MBP916 wrote:I still haven't heard from Hastings. Does anyone know if their application cycle is still going on? I'm above their median LSAT and a little below median GPA and haven't heard a peep out of them since January.
The assistant dean of admissions told me on Saturday that they still have 2000 applications to review.
swheat, I hope you jest.

readereader

New

Post by readereader » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:23 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
swheat wrote:
swheat, I hope you jest.
Swheat's not kidding. 2000 applications left to review is what they said at ASD on Saturday.

smack4ud

New

Post by smack4ud » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:26 pm

Waitlisted :/

164/3.2

Ca Resident

sflawguy

New

Post by sflawguy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Waitlisted today as well......

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:34 pm

readereader wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
swheat wrote:
swheat, I hope you jest.
Swheat's not kidding. 2000 applications left to review is what they said at ASD on Saturday.

Who can do the math on what this means? Approximately speaking, if they received say, 6,500 apps, and have had... 130 or so days from 1st day of accepting apps up until the ASD to review all apps (that's 6 months, a normal school has about 260 working days, hence my 130)... then [calculates] while they could have been done had they read 50 applications a day on avg... but instead they've been reading on avg. 35 apps a day... and at this rate, they won't be finished until over 2 months. I guess maybe they'll be picking up their pace to try to be done by May, auto-dinging left and right?

idk... i think i'm just thinking this through in my head bc the waiting is ridiculous, and trying to make sense of method of it.

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Well, the problem with that math is it assumes an equal number of applications available to read each day, when the more likely case is that far more people applied in January and February than they did in, say, October and November.

On the other hand, it seems like some schools have been much quicker at rendering decisions so they probably have no excuse!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:49 pm

I am not sure if she meant they had 2000 apps that they had never looked at. I think there could be like 1/2 of them never looked at and 1/2 they just haven't made a decision on.

I'm pretty sure they look at every app as soon as it goes complete. I was accepted about 2 weeks after going complete. And I applied late, around 1/30 or 2/1. Acceptance on 2/14

macguy4242

New

Post by macguy4242 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Lior wrote:I guess this means I have to write a LOCI. :|
My WL email said that they "will appreciate if you do not call or email us regarding the waitlist." Don't you think that precludes a LOCI?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”