In at UC Irvine Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lifelesslived

New

Re: In at UC Irvine

Post by lifelesslived » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:24 pm

If it makes life even marginally easier, a pdf version: --LinkRemoved--

LawApp2012

New

Post by LawApp2012 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:35 pm

lifelesslived wrote:If it makes life even marginally easier, a pdf version: --LinkRemoved--
I read most of this yesterday and it is really interesting, but so long! Couldn't he have condensed it just a little? It was kind of depressing too. I'm sure we all think that we're different and we'll find the best firm that won't make our lives miserable, but many of us might end up like the people in the article. I definitely do not want to end up in BigLaw, but it's possible that I would start out there if it was my only option (probably not though, right?).

I'm going to try to enjoy law school and not worry too much about life as a lawyer for a while. The ethics stuff was especially depressing though, I didn't realize so many firms have unethical practices ingrained in their culture, like padding billing hours.

ak2ca

New

Post by ak2ca » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi all! I'm new to this site, and was excited to find a section on UCI. I've been accepted and will likely end up at UCI, although I haven't yet sent in my SIR. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few reaches: USC and UCLA to name two, but honestly, even if I do get in (a stretch), I'm still really drawn to the program at UCI. I like the public interest focus. Plus, based on what I've heard from other admits, the students seem to have some great backgrounds. Anyone willing to share some of the factors that you're still weighing?

lifelesslived

New

Post by lifelesslived » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Yes, pretty depressing. makes me want to avoid law school altogether

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:58 pm

scantronix wrote:[Thanks. 3.5 / 163 (my mistake) with lots of softs, and great recs.

wtf?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:01 pm

mstufts09 wrote:
scantronix wrote:[Thanks. 3.5 / 163 (my mistake) with lots of softs, and great recs.

wtf?
Don't have a heart attack. I hope you get in too! :D

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:03 pm

swheat wrote:Yeah we are toast. I figure that well over half of those 83 will probably accept, especially the ones who are borderline USC/UCLA and those who apparently got in with 150 somethings.

Looks like Hastings for me. :)
Hastings is a pretty good school.

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:07 pm

mstufts09 wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:

wtf?
I am in already. I can't remember why I wrote that. I think it used to say 153.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:15 pm

mstufts09 wrote:
swheat wrote:Yeah we are toast. I figure that well over half of those 83 will probably accept, especially the ones who are borderline USC/UCLA and those who apparently got in with 150 somethings.

Looks like Hastings for me. :)
Hastings is a pretty good school.
Good? Yes.

Free (or even cheap)? NO

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:18 pm

so, any guess on when the rest of us will hear from UCI?

Is the deposit date April 1st?

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:19 pm

veritas85 wrote:so, any guess on when the rest of us will hear from UCI?

There is no deposit.

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:20 pm

scantronix wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:

wtf?
I am in already. I can't remember why I wrote that. I think it used to say 153.
Oh okay, it did, that was a typo. Are you going to the Admitted Students Event in April.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:22 pm

There's no deposit since it's free for everyone, but the notify date is April 15th

Gotta tell 'em by then if you're gonna be coming

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawApp2012

New

Post by LawApp2012 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:24 pm

mstufts09 wrote:
veritas85 wrote:so, any guess on when the rest of us will hear from UCI?

There is no deposit.
No deposit, but I think they want us to return the statement of intent to register by April 15th at the latest.

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:27 pm

[/quote]Oh okay, it did, that was a typo. Are you going to the Admitted Students Event in April.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yes :) And I'm going to the luncheon thing on Sunday. Are you?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:28 pm

pany1985 wrote:There's no deposit since it's free for everyone, but the notify date is April 15th

Gotta tell 'em by then if you're gonna be coming
silly me, of course there is no deposit.

But April 15th is notification day. Good to know. I'm guessing it will be quiet until around that date.
Last edited by Veritas on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:28 pm

scantronix wrote:
Oh okay, it did, that was a typo. Are you going to the Admitted Students Event in April.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yes :) And I'm going to the luncheon thing on Sunday. Are you?[/quote]

No, I wish I could but I am stuck in the cold on the East Coast.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 pm

swheat wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:Thanks. 3.5 / 163 with lots of softs, and great recs.
swheat wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:New to the site. I got accepted to Irvine January 4th. Already accepted offer. Turning down: Northeastern, UCLA, Loyola, Suffolk,... :lol: Anyone else accepted already?
Congrats! What were your numbers?
:shock:

153 or 163?

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:47 pm

swheat wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:Thanks. 3.5 / 163 with lots of softs, and great recs.
swheat wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:New to the site. I got accepted to Irvine January 4th. Already accepted offer. Turning down: Northeastern, UCLA, Loyola, Suffolk,... :lol: Anyone else accepted already?
Congrats! What were your numbers?
:shock:

153 or 163?

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:47 pm

scantronix wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:Thanks. 3.5 / 163 (my mistake) with lots of softs, and great recs.

wtf?

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Esquires09 wrote:If there has already been a long discussion about this, I apologize ... what is the risk of graduating without ABA certification?
I think that if students were to graduate without Irvine getting ABA certified, students could only take the bar exam / practice law in California and no other state. New England Law School is an example. They never received accredidation and therefore all of there graduates are confined to practicing law in MA.

How do you think Irvine will attract students for the class of 2013 without an full tuition scholarship offer? That has been one of my concerns. :?:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:59 pm

mstufts09 wrote:
Esquires09 wrote:If there has already been a long discussion about this, I apologize ... what is the risk of graduating without ABA certification?
I think that if students were to graduate without Irvine getting ABA certified, students could only take the bar exam / practice law in California and no other state. New England Law School is an example. They never received accredidation and therefore all of there graduates are confined to practicing law in MA.

How do you think Irvine will attract students for the class of 2013 without an full tuition scholarship offer? That has been one of my concerns. :?:
UCI will be provisionally accredited by 2010, granting the same rights and privileges to students that are extended to students attending fully accredited law schools. This includes the bar exam. If Cooley can be ABA-accredited, I have no worries about UCI. As for whether they'll be able to attract a high level of student to Irvine once they lose the "everybody goes for free!" thing... that's more of a question mark. I think they beat out every school south of Los Angeles. I would expect incoming student stats roughly in line with Davis and Hastings... maybe a bit lower to begin with.

LawApp2012

New

Post by LawApp2012 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:09 pm

pany1985 wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:

UCI will be provisionally accredited by 2010, granting the same rights and privileges to students that are extended to students attending fully accredited law schools. This includes the bar exam. If Cooley can be ABA-accredited, I have no worries about UCI. As for whether they'll be able to attract a high level of student to Irvine once they lose the "everybody goes for free!" thing... that's more of a question mark. I think they beat out every school south of Los Angeles. I would expect incoming student stats roughly in line with Davis and Hastings... maybe a bit lower to begin with.
I agree, one of my only remaining concerns is about the students who will attend in future classes. I feel like, as part of the founding class, some of the responsibility will be on us to prove the value of the new school. We will be a big part of making the school great, but also making sure future students know it!

mstufts09

New

Post by mstufts09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:15 pm

LawApp2012 wrote:
pany1985 wrote:
mstufts09 wrote:

I agree, one of my only remaining concerns is about the students who will attend in future classes. I feel like, as part of the founding class, some of the responsibility will be on us to prove the value of the new school. We will be a big part of making the school great, but also making sure future students know it!

Agree! What are some of the requirements for ABA approval?

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Well they need to have a curriculum and faculty (obviously), dedicated non-shared law classrooms (which is nice for the law school, since they can take over classrooms from other departments with the ABA's blessing/requirement), a certain number of seats and books in the library, etc.

I'm sure there are more requirements, and I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm sure they do

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”