Sample letter declining admission offer/withdrawing? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
animalcrkrs

Bronze

Sample letter declining admission offer/withdrawing?

Post by animalcrkrs » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:14 pm

Anyone willing to post or PM me a sample 'Turning down your offer of admission' /'withdrawing' letter?
Also, I am sure there have been q's on this before but I couldn't find anything hunting the threads with keywords, so if you've seen something feel free just to post a link.
Appreciate the help!

SmartCookie

New

Re: Sample letter declining admission offer/withdrawing?

Post by SmartCookie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:23 pm

robi0468 found this in an old post:

Dear Admissions Staff,

After careful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my application for admission. I truly appreciate your offer of admission and am certain that I would receive an excellent legal education at your institution. However, I am weighing several offers more heavily at this time. To be fair to other applicants, as well as your staff, I believe now is an appropriate time to withdraw my application.

If there is a formal procedure (a letter or form) that is required to officially withdraw, please let me know and I will comply with it immediately. In the alternative, please respond to this e-mail to confirm that my withdraw has been appropriately processed.

Thank you for your consideration of my application. I wish you the best of luck in finding candidates for the 2009 admissions cycle.

Sincerely,

[Name and LSAC ID]

SmartCookie

New

Post by SmartCookie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:24 pm

But you could always do this instead...

Submitted by Lizface killah:

Dear XXX Law School Admissions Staff,

Every year applicants such as myself apply to many excellent law schools such as yours. Unfortunately, I cannot attend every fine institution that I applied to, and I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for my Fall 2009 academic year. Thank you for considering me as an applicant, and best wishes for all of your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

XXXX

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:27 pm

SmartCookie wrote:But you could always do this instead...

Every year applicants such as myself apply to many excellent law schools such as yours. Unfortunately, I cannot attend every fine institution that I applied to, and I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for my Fall 2009 academic year. Thank you for considering me as an applicant, and best wishes for all of your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

XXXX
This is my favorite, I've seen it posted somewhere else as well. Always makes me smile.

As for what you say, it really doesn't matter too much... after all you're not going there. Short and concise is probably best.

bermuda

New

Post by bermuda » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Last edited by bermuda on Tue May 26, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:41 pm

I was going to send a snail mail rather than email, but I guess either would work.
Thanks everyone!

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Sincerely,

XXXX
I love this. I think I'll send it to UCLA shortly.

crombot

Bronze

Post by crombot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Sincerely,

XXXX

You forgot to add "Each year, many students decide to transfer after their first year of law school. I strongly encourage you to continue to accept transfer students in case I decide to give your school another chance."

law_lover

New

Post by law_lover » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Sincerely,

XXXX
I like this! Now I just need to be accepted places.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Wow. 180.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:17 pm

I smiled.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:34 pm

Sincerely,

XXXX
I miss Lizface

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Sincerely,

XXXX

Loving it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Nice. It's almost as good as the rejection letter of the rejection letter.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:59 pm

I just sent schools an E-mail stating:
Dear {Admissions Committee}:

I will not be attending your school this fall and wish to withdraw from the applicant pool. My LSAC number is Lxxxxxxxx. If you require written confirmation please let me know and I will provide it.

Sincerely,

vanwinkle
Most of them sent back a thank-you E-mail and that was that.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:31 am

When should we be withdrawing by? Is it wrong to wait until deposit deadlines/wait to see if you get money offers?

vegansistah

New

Post by vegansistah » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:48 am

def2104 wrote:When should we be withdrawing by? Is it wrong to wait until deposit deadlines/wait to see if you get money offers?
NO, it is not wrong at all. In this process, you have to do what is best for you!

But do go ahead and withdraw now for those schools you KNOW you won't be going to. I have 2 schools I just know I won't be going to (both offered money, too) and that seat and the scholarship offer could benefit someone else in line.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:01 am

Here is my sample:

Dear Blah:

Thank you for offering me admission to your excellent institution and for your generous scholarship offer [latter part only if applicable]. I greatly appreciate the time and effort that you devoted to reading and evaluating my file.

However, I regret to inform you that I will be attending a different program in the fall of 2010. As a result, I must decline your offer of acceptance and withdraw from my seat in your incoming class. Please contact me if you need further information to complete my withdrawal.

I hope that the remainder of the admissions cycle goes well for you, and I am sure that you will assemble an excellent class for the fall of 2010.

Best regards,
Managamy
LSAC number

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:58 am

def2104 wrote:When should we be withdrawing by? Is it wrong to wait until deposit deadlines/wait to see if you get money offers?
It's not wrong unless there is absolutely 100% no way you would ever attend the school. You have every right to wait and see what the full range of your options are though, including $$$$.

I don't think there's any need to snail mail it . . . e-mail is easier for everybody, and it's not a big deal for them, they know the game . . . just be polite and the rest doesn't really matter.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:05 am

It is more considerate to schools and other applicants to withdraw from schools you know you will not attend as soon as possible. However, if $$$ will actually affect your decision to attend and you are still at least considering the school, it's not wrong to wait it out and see what they offer, at least until you know they've offered as much as they're going to.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:40 am

amputatedbrain wrote:
It's not wrong unless there is absolutely 100% no way you would ever attend the school. You have every right to wait and see what the full range of your options are though, including $$$$.

I don't think there's any need to snail mail it . . . e-mail is easier for everybody, and it's not a big deal for them, they know the game . . . just be polite and the rest doesn't really matter.
I recommend email as well. One school from which I withdrew did not send a confirmation, so I called them to make sure. It turned out to be a smart decision, for the email had gone to their spam folder or some other black hole.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:13 am

Sincerely,

XXXX
Amazing. Treat them as inhumanely as they treat us.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:20 am

managamy wrote:Here is my sample:

Dear Blah:

Thank you for offering me admission to your excellent institution and for your generous scholarship offer. I greatly appreciate the time and effort that you devoted to reading and evaluating my file and thank you for offering to finance my education.

However, I regret to inform you that I can only accept one half of your offer. I will be attending a different program in the fall of 2010. As a result, I must decline your offer of acceptance and withdraw from my seat in your incoming class. However I am still willing to accept your generous scholarship that will serve as a great foundation for my future career. Please forward the check to my address on file, or if preferred, you may directly wire the sum for three years (I assure you my grades will remain in the top 33%) to Account #: 1234XXXXXXX at Bank of America, Palo Alto branch.

I hope that the remainder of the admissions cycle goes well for you, and I am sure that you will assemble an excellent class for the fall of 2010.

Best regards,
Managamy
LSAC number
ftfy

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:24 am

SolarWind wrote:
managamy wrote:Here is my sample:

Dear Blah:

Thank you for offering me admission to your excellent institution and for your generous scholarship offer. I greatly appreciate the time and effort that you devoted to reading and evaluating my file and thank you for offering to finance my education.

However, I regret to inform you that I can only accept one half of your offer. I will be attending a different program in the fall of 2010. As a result, I must decline your offer of acceptance and withdraw from my seat in your incoming class. However I am still willing to accept your generous scholarship that will serve as a great foundation for my future career. Please forward the check to my address on file, or if preferred, you may directly wire the sum for three years (I assure you my grades will remain in the top 33%) to Account #: 1234XXXXXXX at Bank of America, Palo Alto branch.

Best regards,
Managamy
LSAC number
ftfy
:lol:

washingtonian

New

Post by washingtonian » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Is it proper etiquette to send an email or call? If it's literally coming down to the deposit deadline, can we just let the deadline lapse and assume they know we are not attending? Or, do we still need to send in the letter they enclosed in our acceptance package or an email?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”