In at University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschlapplicant

New

Re: In at University of Houston

Post by lawschlapplicant » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:39 am

My application status says "Decision Rendered" 2/16. The status initially reported "Hold." Anyone else in the same boat?

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:12 am

texas08 wrote:*I hope this doesn't come off as completely insensitive, given the most recent posts about rejections, BUT....

Does anyone know what the deal on scholarships is? My GPA is really low, but my LSAT is way above average for UofH (171, 3.0)... I've looked on LSN for last year and I'm hoping for a significant chunk of change to keep me away from UT (if I get in) or out of state, where I have scholarships to higher ranked schools than UofH. Bad news is, there really weren't many people with similar enough numbers to mine to guess what I might be able to expect, added to the fact that it wasn't clear if people were posting per yr or their total package. I've checked out the UofH scholarship page but can't find any indication of when they send out awards. Anyone know?
UH doesnt really give out full rides or anything. their tuition is already so low that they are not a big scholly giver. however they seem to be making a play to boost their LSAT %tiles so ask them for $$$. the median grant in 2007 was $2500, 75%ile was $5000. Very few got above a 50% scholly. you should go to UT if you get in, to be honest. even if you receive a full ride to UH, its worth the extra $66k at UT.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:45 pm

joonix wrote:UH doesnt really give out full rides or anything. their tuition is already so low that they are not a big scholly giver. however they seem to be making a play to boost their LSAT %tiles so ask them for $$$. the median grant in 2007 was $2500, 75%ile was $5000. Very few got above a 50% scholly. you should go to UT if you get in, to be honest. even if you receive a full ride to UH, its worth the extra $66k at UT.
Yea, I'm just really nervous about taking on debt. But in all honesty, if I got into UT (which at this point is probably my dream school/biggest reach) I would go there over UofH, although a full ride from UofH might make that decision a little tougher.

I'm really most interested in when they mail these scholarship notifications out, because I really don't want to do much negotiation until I figure out what my initial offer is (if anything gets offered). So, anyone know around when scholarship info gets sent out?

meathead

New

Post by meathead » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:16 am

I know it is fairly low, but does anyone know the likelihood of actually getting in off the waitlist.

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Ra Ra Rejected yesterday! Peace out Houston thread! 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:15 pm

kellbell wrote:Ra Ra Rejected yesterday! Peace out Houston thread!
sorry kellbell :(
meathead wrote:I know it is fairly low, but does anyone know the likelihood of actually getting in off the waitlist.
I would imagine you would have a decent shot. Personally, I know several people using UofH as a safety school, meaning that they will likely withdraw or not put down a seat deposit. So, hopefully, there will be spots opening up for people to come in off of the waitlist :)

burgundy

New

Post by burgundy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:48 am

If anyone has received any scholarship money from UofH please post amount and GPA/LSAT? Or does no info on LSN indicate they haven't given any?!

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:44 am

lawschlapplicant wrote:My application status says "Decision Rendered" 2/16. The status initially reported "Hold." Anyone else in the same boat?
I know of 2 guys that happened to.
One got rejected, one got waitlisted.
Sorry that's not more helpful.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Ok, I just called the admissions office to inquire about when we should be hearing about scholarships and the only thing the man who answered the phone could tell me was sometime later in the spring. I asked if that meant March or April and he said he couldn't tell me and there were no exact dates. Not impressive UofH. As far as I know, none have been awarded so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:23 pm

texas08 wrote:Ok, I just called the admissions office to inquire about when we should be hearing about scholarships and the only thing the man who answered the phone could tell me was sometime later in the spring. I asked if that meant March or April and he said he couldn't tell me and there were no exact dates. Not impressive UofH. As far as I know, none have been awarded so far.

That is pretty lame. Most schools will at least tell you about when they will start going out. If I don't hear from them about scholarships by about March 25 I am dropping them.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:35 pm

katjust wrote:That is pretty lame. Most schools will at least tell you about when they will start going out. If I don't hear from them about scholarships by about March 25 I am dropping them.
Ha I don't know if I have the guts to actually withdraw, but I was tempted to do it on the spot after the rude convo. It really did turn me off though. I was seriously considering them, even though I've been admitted to schools ranking much higher because I am in-state here. Now, I'm not so sure.

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:49 pm

joonix wrote:UH doesnt really give out full rides or anything. their tuition is already so low that they are not a big scholly giver. however they seem to be making a play to boost their LSAT %tiles so ask them for $$$. the median grant in 2007 was $2500, 75%ile was $5000. Very few got above a 50% scholly. you should go to UT if you get in, to be honest. even if you receive a full ride to UH, its worth the extra $66k at UT.
Not really.

I know of several people in the current 1L that received 10k in scholarships. Some received full rides. So at least some people get significant scholarships.

araiza99

New

Post by araiza99 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:11 pm

G_Girl4098 wrote:
lawschlapplicant wrote:My application status says "Decision Rendered" 2/16. The status initially reported "Hold." Anyone else in the same boat?
I know of 2 guys that happened to.
One got rejected, one got waitlisted.
Sorry that's not more helpful.
Happened to me. I was admit via email.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschoolchick73

New

Post by lawschoolchick73 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Is anyone else frustrated with UH?! They are really taking forever on applications! I have had mine in since October for the early application proces sand still haven't heard... They were supposed to get back latest by the end of February, which means they have four days. UH is my top choice but I am seriously starting to take off points from them, as every other school seems to be a little more with it!!

overprivileged

New

Post by overprivileged » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:11 pm

lawschoolchick73 wrote:Is anyone else frustrated with UH?! They are really taking forever on applications! I have had mine in since October for the early application proces sand still haven't heard... They were supposed to get back latest by the end of February, which means they have four days. UH is my top choice but I am seriously starting to take off points from them, as every other school seems to be a little more with it!!
My situation and sentiments exactly. My status has been "In Review" since 1/8. UH is my top choice, but their admissions process is causing me a lot of resentment.

meathead

New

Post by meathead » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Anyone ever sent a LOCI, I think it would be appropriate since I got waitlisted. However, I am not sure of the format to be used, or the appropriate place to send the letter.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:09 pm

meathead wrote:Anyone ever sent a LOCI, I think it would be appropriate since I got waitlisted. However, I am not sure of the format to be used, or the appropriate place to send the letter.

Good info here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 18&t=60839

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

southernroots

New

Post by southernroots » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:30 pm

overprivileged wrote:
lawschoolchick73 wrote:Is anyone else frustrated with UH?! They are really taking forever on applications! I have had mine in since October for the early application proces sand still haven't heard... They were supposed to get back latest by the end of February, which means they have four days. UH is my top choice but I am seriously starting to take off points from them, as every other school seems to be a little more with it!!
My situation and sentiments exactly. My status has been "In Review" since 1/8. UH is my top choice, but their admissions process is causing me a lot of resentment.

I am in the same exact boat. I called last week and she just said that they are hoping to have them out by the end of Feb./beginning of March.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:17 pm

For those of you who got in, just out of morbid curiosity, what did the subject line of the acceptance email say?

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:19 pm

G_Girl4098 wrote:For those of you who got in, just out of morbid curiosity, what did the subject line of the acceptance email say?
Congratulations from University of Houston Law Center

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:39 pm

For those that received a decision, what was it and are you instate or out?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hudda Budda

New

Post by Hudda Budda » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Houston is driving me crazy. I'm a pretty big splitter (166, 2.65) but people keep telling me I'm a shoe in. But after a long time of being in complete (since early Dec) they put me on review just on the 17th. I hope I hear something this weak as it's one of my top choices.

but seriously, I think I'm getting antsier because people told me I was a shoe in and apparently I'm not.

Dave O

New

Post by Dave O » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:26 pm

I wish GPA mattered....

southernroots

New

Post by southernroots » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:28 pm

rubies wrote:For those that received a decision, what was it and are you instate or out?

You can get a general idea of what numbers have been accepted/rejected/waitlisted and if they are in or out of state on LSN.

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Dave O wrote:I wish GPA mattered....
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”