Fordham vs. Cardozo (with $$) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Outlawed

New

Re: Fordham vs. Cardozo (with $$)

Post by Outlawed » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Cardozo has been way better than Fordham in the admissions process. They have been quick, enthusiastic and they give a lot of money. I'm swayed! Ken is even pretty impressed with Dozo's rise. Check out his article!

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:07 pm

that's a good question: which school is more difficult to keep up GPA? Fordham or Cardozo?

thedudelebowski

New

Post by thedudelebowski » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:08 pm

Last edited by thedudelebowski on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

rn2mx

New

Post by rn2mx » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Regarding negotiations with Fordham, I haven't had any problems with them at all. I've already been accepted and have received my financial aid package whereas WUSTL and USC have barely even let me know I'm complete.

I applied early action and knew in December that I was accepted (166, 3.6). I got my financial aid package ($17,600 per year grant with $10,600 per year interest-free Fordham Loan) within 2 weeks of sending out my financial aid form and tax info. If you want to be considered for merit aid, just call and ask them to do so (I did that and within 2 days was notified that I would not be considered for merit aid). Also, in terms of negotiating aid, I called them and they said a letter is the best way to do so.

mzing12

New

Post by mzing12 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Don't plan your career thinking you'll stay in NYC for years ... it gets boring fast, there's not much energy left, and it's so expensive even if you're a lawyer making 200k/year, you really won't be able to afford anything except far out in the suburbs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MikeLav456

New

Post by MikeLav456 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:03 am

I understand where all you guys are coming from, and thanks for the vote of confidence, but it's really not that simple. Unless I get into Harvard, and maybe Penn or Chicago, I'm not leaving NY, and so far Cardozo and Fordham are my only options... Come on NYU, show me some love!!!

luckynumber8s

New

Post by luckynumber8s » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:08 am

Fordham

mzing12

New

Post by mzing12 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:55 am

It seems like NYC has become a destination in itself, with these law schools as just a vehicle for getting there because it's like ... so glamorous. Crime's starting to get bad here again (despite what Bloomberg says), and the only affordable neighborhoods are the dangerous ones, so you might want to think twice. It's not like I applied to Boalt because I dream about living in Berkeley.
Last edited by mzing12 on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:30 am

I love nyc, I really do and fordham is high up on my list. Not as high since they wl'ed me but i'm calling it yp since i got into a better ranked school to make myself feel better. That being said a couple of the t-14's get LESS applicants than fordham (cornell, mich is close, duke, uva as well) So because everyone is becoming so nyc-centric fordham is benefitting a ton and its allowing them to throw its weight around as if it was the third t-14 in nyc.

I agree with mzing. NYC is ridiculously competitive for jobs, so going to a school like fordham over going out to the boonies to go to uva, mich, duke, or cornell wouldn't really benefit you career-wise in nyc. All these schools send most of their grads to nyc and those schools have much more clout with employers than dozo or fordham do. Honestly, who cares if you don't have the nightlife during law school. The point for most people in order to justify the huge debt is to make market and have some type of job security. If you live in a great city during law school, but can't even come close to affording to live there after, how great was that 3 year period?

I'll head to the boonies gladly to know that as long as i get decent grades, and i don't f up my interviews, market in mine. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Meggie5121

New

Post by Meggie5121 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:55 am

I think for me the choices are pretty much Fordham or Cardozo. The only schools I am waiting to hear back from are UVa and NYU but I do not really expect to hear good news from either of them. I guess my situation is more complicated by the fact that my significant other is moving to New York City for his job and we have already done 4 years of the long distance thing, so neither of us want to do 3 more years. Especially since he is going to New York for investment banking which means he would not really have time to visit me and if I visited him he would not have time to do anything.

I am hoping that living is going to be more affordable there since we are going to share a place and other expenses. I am really wish Fordham would come through with a little bit of money to make the decision easier.

xhaust50

New

Post by xhaust50 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:52 am

I'm in the same boat, but I have no money at Fordham and a full ride at Cardozo.

xhaust50

New

Post by xhaust50 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:09 pm

Actually, just found out I'm getting $5000 a year from Fordham. For anyone else still interested, my first letter did not mention anything about a scholarship. I received additional information regarding financial aid and the scholarship today, probably around 10-14 days later.

Jomper87

New

Post by Jomper87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Hey guys I have just got a 34/year scholarship to Cardozo 40/year to Brooklym and am waiting to hear back from fordham. Wha do you guys think I should do?
I went to visit Fordham today and it has the atmosphere of a hgih school but seemed like a lot of fun. I just am a little apprehensive towards taking over an extra $102-120,000 more in debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”