University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How high is UW Law on your hype list?

No question UW Law is the place for me!
18%
It's up there, but I have a few competitors.
28%
It's all about the scholly.
24%
Middle of the road.
8%
Safety, not very interested.
18%
I just applied for fun.
5%

Total votes: 79

forlornhope

New

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by forlornhope » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:12 pm

@pacnw1234

Due to a number of circumstances and conversations with Dean Le, the information leads me to believe that most initial offers this year went to the LSAT+GPA >75% folks. A vast majority of admissions to UW do not include much in merit aid, so $0 is pretty much the norm before April 15. The intent for this was to weed out those who were only planning to go to Seattle if they received substantial $$$ (which is a fair enough practice as far as I'm concerned). All of us in the $0 desert just have to see what trickles down over the next few weeks. UW tries to make sure that everyone *really* wants to be there. Considering the small class size and tightly-knit nature of the Pacific NW, it's understandable.

A lot of this was covered in the ASD, but it is certainly worth mentioning for those who couldn't make it, too.

It is worth mentioning again that UW does not follow a discounted tuition model like many other universities. They do not have a huge discretionary budget for giving out scholarships for attracting high-scoring applicants. Rather, they have a lower tuition rate than most schools and a proportionally lower merit aid budget. It sort of balances everything out (at least it did for me) and really demonstrates a level of transparency that is lacking in similar institutions' admissions practices.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:19 pm

forlornhope wrote:@pacnw1234

Due to a number of circumstances and conversations with Dean Le, the information leads me to believe that most initial offers this year went to the LSAT+GPA >75% folks. A vast majority of admissions to UW do not include much in merit aid, so $0 is pretty much the norm before April 15. The intent for this was to weed out those who were only planning to go to Seattle if they received substantial $$$ (which is a fair enough practice as far as I'm concerned). All of us in the $0 desert just have to see what trickles down over the next few weeks. UW tries to make sure that everyone *really* wants to be there. Considering the small class size and tightly-knit nature of the Pacific NW, it's understandable.

A lot of this was covered in the ASD, but it is certainly worth mentioning for those who couldn't make it, too.
I suppose I understand that mentality to a degree, but it still doesn't really seem to make sense if you're essentially weeding out good admits by offering them nothing when they should know they are getting good offers from peer schools. Why not tell your admits that they matter enough to give them some well-earned scholarship money? Instead, they're sending this somewhat pretentious message that if you really want to be at UW, you should give up other offers and hope for the best. Given UW's falling rankings and poor placement outside of the Seattle area, I would think they would instead be trying to entice students who are on the fence.

I moved on because I did have better offers and couldn't roll the dice for a maybe from UW. I hope those of you who did roll the dice win the bet.

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:33 pm

OtterLaw wrote:

I suppose I understand that mentality to a degree, but it still doesn't really seem to make sense if you're essentially weeding out good admits by offering them nothing when they should know they are getting good offers from peer schools. Why not tell your admits that they matter enough to give them some well-earned scholarship money? Instead, they're sending this somewhat pretentious message that if you really want to be at UW, you should give up other offers and hope for the best. Given UW's falling rankings and poor placement outside of the Seattle area, I would think they would instead be trying to entice students who are on the fence.

I moved on because I did have better offers and couldn't roll the dice for a maybe from UW. I hope those of you who did roll the dice win the bet.
I wouldn't have had a problem with UW's reasoning here -- I agree with the ultimate conclusion of lower tuition + proportionally lower aid offers -- but it did bother me that they were the only school to require a whole new essay to even be considered. After all, as you say, the people who deposit with a $0 merit offer have already more than proven their dedication to the school -- you don't need to make them jump through a whole other hoop.

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:35 pm

Fair enough. Plus, I've done enough applications in 2 years that all of my essay's probably seemed so rote and artificial. :oops:

Though I actually did put a lot of thought into this one, my essay energy was likely running out.

pacnw1234

New

Post by pacnw1234 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:11 pm

It is worth mentioning again that UW does not follow a discounted tuition model like many other universities. They do not have a huge discretionary budget for giving out scholarships for attracting high-scoring applicants. Rather, they have a lower tuition rate than most schools and a proportionally lower merit aid budget. It sort of balances everything out (at least it did for me) and really demonstrates a level of transparency that is lacking in similar institutions' admissions practices.
Is there any indication of the likelihood of us $0-ers receiving anything? I'm absolutely okay with a lower relative scholarship value in proportion to lower tuition, especially given that I'll get the in-state price. Any word from those who have heard past the second wave, or current UW students who survived a $0 first offer to go on to receive something?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:17 pm

pacnw1234 wrote:

Is there any indication of the likelihood of us $0-ers receiving anything? I'm absolutely okay with a lower relative scholarship value in proportion to lower tuition, especially given that I'll get the in-state price. Any word from those who have heard past the second wave, or current UW students who survived a $0 first offer to go on to receive something?
WL -> A (no money) -> $15k -> significantly more.

Go get 'em tiger.

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Last edited by forlornhope on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pacnw1234

New

Post by pacnw1234 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:21 pm

redtalun wrote:
pacnw1234 wrote:

WL -> A (no money) -> $15k -> significantly more.

Go get 'em tiger.
Maybe it's the end of semester mental lag, but I don't understand. Can you explain?

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:27 pm

I was waitlisted, accepted off the waitlist with no scholly, negotiated $15k, and then re-negotiated a larger scholarship.
tl;dr: yes, $0-ers can still get $$$

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pacnw1234

New

Post by pacnw1234 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:28 pm

redtalun wrote:I was waitlisted, accepted off the waitlist with no scholly, negotiated $15k, and then re-negotiated a larger scholarship.

Great. Thanks for clarifying that. It sounds as if this is for a previous year--are you a current student? Additionally, negotiating offers is something I've never felt comfortable with trying. How did you go about it?

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:46 pm

CJRpnw wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:

I wouldn't have had a problem with UW's reasoning here -- I agree with the ultimate conclusion of lower tuition + proportionally lower aid offers -- but it did bother me that they were the only school to require a whole new essay to even be considered. After all, as you say, the people who deposit with a $0 merit offer have already more than proven their dedication to the school -- you don't need to make them jump through a whole other hoop.
I also hate that they wait to even consider an admit for scholarship until March 15th. Part of the advantage of applying early is that you normally get a better consideration for scholarship. It seems to reward late applicants while holding others back.

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:55 pm

pacnw1234 wrote:
redtalun wrote:I was waitlisted, accepted off the waitlist with no scholly, negotiated $15k, and then re-negotiated a larger scholarship.

Great. Thanks for clarifying that. It sounds as if this is for a previous year--are you a current student? Additionally, negotiating offers is something I've never felt comfortable with trying. How did you go about it?
Yes, I'm a 3L. Like you, I was a bit apprehensive about asking for money, but you have nothing to lose by asking so why not go for it?

I got my initial scholarship offer by calling the admissions office and telling them (paraphrased) "hi, I really like UW, want to attend, but it's financially impossible for me to attend, is there any way for me to get some help?"
The re-negotiation was leveraging a full-tuition scholarship from another school to get more $$$ from UW.

pacnw1234

New

Post by pacnw1234 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:01 pm

redtalun wrote:
pacnw1234 wrote:

Yes, I'm a 3L. Like you, I was a bit apprehensive about asking for money, but you have nothing to lose by asking so why not go for it?

I got my initial scholarship offer by calling the admissions office and telling them (paraphrased) "hi, I really like UW, want to attend, but it's financially impossible for me to attend, is there any way for me to get some help?"
The re-negotiation was leveraging a full-tuition scholarship from another school to get more $$$ from UW.
Great to know. If you don't mind me asking, is the $15 over all three years or for each year?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:02 pm

I wish my case was that easy. But, alas, it was a non-starter. Something tells me that this year is tougher than the last few.

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:13 pm

Does anyone know the largest scholarship UW gives besides the Gates and Gregiore?

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:16 pm

forlornhope wrote:
I wish my case was that easy. But, alas, it was a non-starter. Something tells me that this year is tougher than the last few.
between the Gregoire Fellowships and MacDonald gift I would have expected the opposite.

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:21 pm

Draconem wrote:Does anyone know the largest scholarship UW gives besides the Gates and Gregiore?
http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... cholarship
(ignore the guy who got $150k, he meant WUSTL)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:25 pm

With the MacDonald Gift, I was expecting a decent year, as well. At least for those whom I met at the ASD, of roughly 50 folks I spoke with, I think about 5 said they received anything. This may not really mean anything (being incredibly unscientific data points), but the general feeling I sensed was one of frustration and concern about finances. Merit aid questions were on the tips of everyone's tongues.

pacnw1234

New

Post by pacnw1234 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:30 pm

forlornhope wrote:With the MacDonald Gift, I was expecting a decent year, as well. At least for those whom I met at the ASD, of roughly 50 folks I spoke with, I think about 5 said they received anything. This may not really mean anything (being incredibly unscientific data points), but the general feeling I sensed was one of frustration and concern about finances. Merit aid questions were on the tips of everyone's tongues.
Your profile says that you were accepted to Irvine. If I may ask, how much did they offer you, and why did you choose to pursue UW instead? I was offered $25,000 there and declined with the belief that I would receive at least a token amount at UW.

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:35 pm

@pacnw1234: PM'ed

keezmasterflex

New

Post by keezmasterflex » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:42 pm

pacnw1234 wrote:
keezmasterflex wrote:Dean Testy called me this afternoon letting me know that I was selected as a Gregoire Fellow. Very excited! Has anyone else received any news?!!

Did you also interview for the Gates Scholarship? If so, go you!

I noticed they removed the dollar amount from the Gregoire info page. Was yours lower than the $25,000/yr. they did last year?

Yes I did interview for the Gates, but was unfortunately not selected. Very competitive group. But, happy to be a Gregoire. And yes, the offer was lower this year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Slipinandslidin

New

Post by Slipinandslidin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Due to a number of circumstances and conversations with Dean Le, the information leads me to believe that most initial offers this year went to the LSAT+GPA >75% folks..
What makes you think this? I've cross referenced applicants' data on this board with law school numbers, since applicants use the same user id for both forums. I don't know what UW's scholly criteria is, but it's not mostly based on high LSAT+GPA. Most of the scholly is going to middle of the road applicants with a surprisng # of of LSAT/GPA <25% actually getting good scholly, not necessary URM. Check it out. If the scholly amount quoted is true, this is the most scholly $ UW has ever doled out. For example, someone with GPA<25% getting $45,000..but not sure if that's x3.If so, that's basically a full ride through law school + stipend.
Last edited by Slipinandslidin on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

keezmasterflex

New

Post by keezmasterflex » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Slipinandslidin wrote:
Due to a number of circumstances and conversations with Dean Le, the information leads me to believe that most initial offers this year went to the LSAT+GPA >75% folks..
What makes you think this? I've cross referenced applicants' data on this board with law school numbers, since applicants use the same user id for both forums. I don't know what UW's scholly criteria is, but it's not mostly based on high LSAT+GPA. Most of the scholly is going to middle of the road applicants with a surprisng # of of LSAT/GPA <25% actually getting good scholly, not necessary URM. Check it out.
I agree. My LSAT is well below the 25%. GPA is average.

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:36 am

keezmasterflex wrote:
Slipinandslidin wrote:
What makes you think this? I've cross referenced applicants' data on this board with law school numbers, since applicants use the same user id for both forums. I don't know what UW's scholly criteria is, but it's not mostly based on high LSAT+GPA. Most of the scholly is going to middle of the road applicants with a surprisng # of of LSAT/GPA <25% actually getting good scholly, not necessary URM. Check it out.
Gregoire isn't a stats-based scholarship, though.

@slipinandslidin: What numbers are you looking at? Many of the LSNs show upwards of of 3.5s and high 160s-170s on the LSAT. There's certainly a fair spread, but considering a lot of them are listed as "withdrawn" I imagine these are people getting a lot of good offers from other schools (perhaps able to negotiate UW). I've only looked at last year's, though, and I'm just going by statements I've heard from administration at UW.

Not much has been posted for this year, so it didn't help much.

Slipinandslidin

New

Post by Slipinandslidin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:44 am

forlornhope wrote:
keezmasterflex wrote:
Slipinandslidin wrote:
Gregoire isn't a stats-based scholarship, though.

@slipinandslidin: What numbers are you looking at? Many of the LSNs show upwards of of 3.5s and high 160s-170s on the LSAT. There's certainly a fair spread, but considering a lot of them are listed as "withdrawn" I imagine these are people getting a lot of good offers from other schools (perhaps able to negotiate UW). I've only looked at last year's, though, and I'm just going by statements I've heard from administration at UW.

Not much has been posted for this year, so it didn't help much.
When I say middle of the road, I mean UW's middle of road, which is relatively high for most law schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”