George Washington c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HeirCroc

New

Re: George Washington c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Post by HeirCroc » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:32 pm

anyone aware of GW's stance on multiple deposits when you've been awarded merit scholarship? In other words, can I depo at GW + another school simultaneously with a scholly at GW? Their scholarship letter doesn't indicate I can't, but my letter from USC basically says 'if you have multiple deposits while reserving a scholarship we will be pissed and might revoke it'.

TetrisBlock

Bronze

Post by TetrisBlock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Does GW require Need Access in order to get merit aid?

carolinagirl723

New

Post by carolinagirl723 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:30 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:Does GW require Need Access in order to get merit aid?
Also wondering this..

HopefulURM

New

Post by HopefulURM » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:48 pm

carolinagirl723 wrote:
Also wondering this..
No, although you do need to fill out a CSS profile on Collegeboard as well as a financial aid request form for need-based aid.
Last edited by HopefulURM on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:52 pm

No. I received merit aid without submitting anything other than the LSAC app.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamesMcGillEsquire

New

Post by JamesMcGillEsquire » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:42 am

So just to be clear have there been ANY successful negotiations with GW this cycle? Or has everyone gotten the "check back with us in mid-April" line?

cafecreme15

New

Post by cafecreme15 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:44 am

JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:So just to be clear have there been ANY successful negotiations with GW this cycle? Or has everyone gotten the "check back with us in mid-April" line?
^This. Can't decide if it's even worth it to send an email about negotiating now, or just wait until deposit deadline has passed and take my chances.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:51 am

If I just don't deposit.. does that mean I necessarily withdrawal? OR does that mean, I don't reserve my seat but they could come back to me with more?
Because this 30k scholly is not worth saving, and I'm not depositing for a hope and a prayer they give me more

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:53 am

cafecreme15 wrote:
JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:So just to be clear have there been ANY successful negotiations with GW this cycle? Or has everyone gotten the "check back with us in mid-April" line?
^This. Can't decide if it's even worth it to send an email about negotiating now, or just wait until deposit deadline has passed and take my chances.
I would send now, I think it'll be added to your file later on when the scholarship committee reviews your correspondence. Good luck !!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaizen428

New

Post by Kaizen428 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:16 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:If I just don't deposit.. does that mean I necessarily withdrawal? OR does that mean, I don't reserve my seat but they could come back to me with more?
Because this 30k scholly is not worth saving, and I'm not depositing for a hope and a prayer they give me more
curious about this for other schools as well. Let me know if you get a response anywhere else
I'm pretty sure that if you don't deposit by the deadline they assume you are withdrawing. If you want a chance of more money your only option seems to be to deposit and take the risk of losing that deposit if they don't give you how much you're looking for. It's their way of trying to take some of the power back in scholarship negotiation.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Kaizen428 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:If I just don't deposit.. does that mean I necessarily withdrawal? OR does that mean, I don't reserve my seat but they could come back to me with more?
curious about this for other schools as well. Let me know if you get a response anywhere else
I'm pretty sure that if you don't deposit by the deadline they assume you are withdrawing. If you want a chance of more money your only option seems to be to deposit and take the risk of losing that deposit if they don't give you how much you're looking for. It's their way of trying to take some of the power back in scholarship negotiation.
I think this practice is really going to blow up in their face.

Kaizen428

New

Post by Kaizen428 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:30 pm

6778628 wrote:
Kaizen428 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
I think this practice is really going to blow up in their face.
It may, but it doesn't seem to be unusual this cycle. I've read in more than a few threads that schools are not going to negotiate until after their deposit deadlines.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

capsoccer

New

Post by capsoccer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Wondering what everyone's general opinion and reasoning on paying $500 (seat deposit) to have a chance to negotiate scholarship? How much do you think your scholarship can be increased? Thanks in advance

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:07 pm

Yea, if I need to put down 500 for a less than ideal chance at something worthwhile.. Count me out

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 pm

So I am confused. The April 1 deadline is to secure your scholarship right? (That is what it says in the scholly email). So if you miss that deadline, does that count as withdrawal? or does that just not accepting your scholly?

cafecreme15

New

Post by cafecreme15 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 am

betty_bojangles wrote:So I am confused. The April 1 deadline is to secure your scholarship right? (That is what it says in the scholly email). So if you miss that deadline, does that count as withdrawal? or does that just not accepting your scholly?
I'm glad you brought that up since I totally missed that. I must say GW is really turning me off due to the way they are handling this scholarship negotiation and deposit process. I'm no where near ready to make a decision (I'm still waiting to hear from 3 schools), but I guess I will have to put my deposit down anyway. I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread, but is there s danger of losing a scholarship if admissions finds out a candidate double deposited after April 1?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

idissent

Bronze

Post by idissent » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:52 am

cafecreme15 wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:So I am confused. The April 1 deadline is to secure your scholarship right? (That is what it says in the scholly email). So if you miss that deadline, does that count as withdrawal? or does that just not accepting your scholly?
I'm glad you brought that up since I totally missed that. I must say GW is really turning me off due to the way they are handling this scholarship negotiation and deposit process. I'm no where near ready to make a decision (I'm still waiting to hear from 3 schools), but I guess I will have to put my deposit down anyway. I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread, but is there s danger of losing a scholarship if admissions finds out a candidate double deposited after April 1?
It's an initial non-binding, so you're free to make deposits elsewhere as long as theirs is also non-binding. It is obnoxious that it's so early, and you're out $500 just to get a little bit longer to make decisions (and, full disclosure, I will probably be withdrawing instead of paying it), but I think because GW has to compete for many of the same students as GULC, they want to figure out who is actually serious and who is just leveraging cash.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:12 am

Merit Aid is considered by default. However, if you would like to be considered for Need Based Aid, you do need to submit the Need Access. I did and received an additional $13k per year. The numbers still do not add up for me though. :shock:

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:53 pm

idissent wrote:
cafecreme15 wrote:
It's an initial non-binding, so you're free to make deposits elsewhere as long as theirs is also non-binding. It is obnoxious that it's so early, and you're out $500 just to get a little bit longer to make decisions (and, full disclosure, I will probably be withdrawing instead of paying it), but I think because GW has to compete for many of the same students as GULC, they want to figure out who is actually serious and who is just leveraging cash.

So (if you got a merit award) not depositing by April 1 = withdrawing application, right?

idissent

Bronze

Post by idissent » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:29 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:
idissent wrote:
cafecreme15 wrote:

So (if you got a merit award) not depositing by April 1 = withdrawing application, right?
The email just says that you have to deposit by April 1 to accept the award. Presumably, you'll still be an accepted student if you don't make the early deposit date, but you are forgoing your merit award.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LFCNY9

New

Post by LFCNY9 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:38 pm

If I have not yet received any information regarding a merit scholarship, should I assume that I will not be receiving one? I was admitted on March 13 (and I still have not received a package in the mail - would scholly info be here or is it via email?)

I also would like to know the deal with the April 1 deadline. They say that in order to accept a merit scholarship, you must deposit by April 1. Does this mean that if I do not deposit by the 1st, I will be out of the running for a merit scholarship?

GW is one of my top choices and I would very likely attend with a scholarship comparable to the one I received at a peer school. Without one, it is probably out of the running. I was planning to attend the Preview Day Friday but maybe it's not worth going to if there's no chance of a scholarship.

Anyway, would appreciate any feedback - thanks.

nosocat

Bronze

Post by nosocat » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:02 pm

I'm also kind of perplexed by this timeline. I applied 1/16 and have yet to receive any decision, much less scholarship info. I wonder if I will hear back before the deposit deadline at all.

Kaizen428

New

Post by Kaizen428 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:27 pm

If you haven't received a merit scholarship (email) then I think it is safe to say at this time that you are not getting one. However, you can confirm this if you email admissions and ask what the status is. And if you didn't get an initial scholarship then you can ask to be considered, in which they will likely put you on a list and get back to you by April 13 (if you didn't get an initial scholarship the April 1 deadline is irrelevant).

If you were offered a scholarship you have until April 1 to deposit and claim it. If you don't make that deposit on April 1 it doesn't necessarily mean you are withdrawing, it just means the school no longer has to give you that money if you decide to matriculate. At least that's how I interpret everything.

LFCNY9

New

Post by LFCNY9 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Kaizen428 wrote:If you haven't received a merit scholarship (email) then I think it is safe to say at this time that you are not getting one. However, you can confirm this if you email admissions and ask what the status is. And if you didn't get an initial scholarship then you can ask to be considered, in which they will likely put you on a list and get back to you by April 13 (if you didn't get an initial scholarship the April 1 deadline is irrelevant).

If you were offered a scholarship you have until April 1 to deposit and claim it. If you don't make that deposit on April 1 it doesn't necessarily mean you are withdrawing, it just means the school no longer has to give you that money if you decide to matriculate. At least that's how I interpret everything.
Thanks for clarifying - this would all make the most sense. I think I'll email admissions to double check on their scholarship status.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”