IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tmo

Bronze

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by tmo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:11 pm

On the admitted student site under the response/deposit tab, it says "Paying the Seat Deposit: An electronic payment form is currently being developed. Please return to the site at the end of March for further information about this process." So I guess it should be there soon (it previously said just "soon", then early March, now late).

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:57 pm

Went to evaluation.

Applied in late-November
Complete early-January

I certainly would like to have this school as an option. I have heard only good things about Davis and I'd prefer to live in that environment during law school rather than in a big city. For me, UC Davis > UC Hastings.

JZ

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:01 pm

I'd be shocked if you didn't get in, with good scholarship money too. Good luck!

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:03 pm

I just noticed that your avatar changed to a milkshake. Is that in honor of Redrum Burger?

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:04 pm

or in the honor of Daniel Day Lewis (its the right color as well)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:06 pm

BioLaw wrote:I just noticed that your avatar changed to a milkshake. Is that in honor of Redrum Burger?
Yes, we're looking at a couple more places tomorrow and I'm inspired now to try it.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:09 pm

It's a must.

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:16 pm

kevsocko wrote:or in the honor of Daniel Day Lewis (its the right color as well)
HAHA! I like this response! Have you seen the SNL skit? SO FREAKING GOOD. Equally good: http://www.idrinkyourmilkshake.com

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:17 pm

:mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, tmo.

I think I'll get in, but these UC schools can sometimes be a little hard to figure out.

UC Berkeley rejected me as expected because my GPA was way below their median and not even within their 25 percentile.

UCLA sent me a fee waiver to apply and upon receipt of my application promptly placed me on their wait list.

In 2007, UC Hastings placed me on their waitlist which I withdrew from when I decided to delay starting law school. I thought for sure that I would have gotten accepted with my numbers, but I took my LSAT late and hence was a late applicant.

UC Davis?

JZ

high4ever2008

New

Post by high4ever2008 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:26 pm

jonzoo wrote:Went to evaluation.

Applied in late-November
Complete early-January

I certainly would like to have this school as an option. I have heard only good things about Davis and I'd prefer to live in that environment during law school rather than in a big city. For me, UC Davis > UC Hastings.

JZ
Davis is a great school. If your interest is biglaw though, I would recommend giving Hastings a try as they have better biglaw placement. Good luck.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:29 pm

jonzoo wrote:Thanks for the well wishes, tmo.

I think I'll get in, but these UC schools can sometimes be a little hard to figure out.

UC Berkeley rejected me as expected because my GPA was way below their median and not even within their 25 percentile.

UCLA sent me a fee waiver to apply and upon receipt of my application promptly placed me on their wait list.

In 2007, UC Hastings placed me on their waitlist which I withdrew from when I decided to delay starting law school. I thought for sure that I would have gotten accepted with my numbers, but I took my LSAT late and hence was a late applicant.

UC Davis?

JZ
Hastings waitlisted you with a 169 and 3.4 in engineering? That's ridiculous. I think you are a Davis auto-admit.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:30 pm

I DRANK IT UP!

back on topic, I could never live in davis. i would feel isolated in a cultural desert and smell cow-y.

wow, that is crazy that you got WL with much better numbers than me. poor PS?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:44 pm

Jonzoo, I've got high hopes for you & Davis! Are you looking at any other options?

Also, I've only visited Davis twice, but both times, I spent the whole day there. Once was during the summer, and once was during the winter, and I didn't get even a whiff of cow dung. I think it's a bit of an exaggeration. Besides, I'd rather have the occasional smell of cow than the perpetual stank of piss that hovers over Hastings. (Okay, somewhat of an exaggeration, but it's pretty bad sometimes.)

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:47 pm

When it comes down to it, both Hastings and Davis are right for different people. When I was 17 and looking at undergrad, I scoffed at living in a "cowtown" (although Faye, you are right, I have not smelled anything yet). After 7 years in SF and approaching 30, I am ecstatic about Davis. Different strokes for different folks.

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:53 pm

Hah, that's very true tmo. I got accepted to Davis for undergrad, but I didn't like the location or city very much. Now, though, I think I would really enjoy living in a town like Davis, partially because I've experienced SF, and partially because I'm ready for a new experience. I've done suburbia and metropolis, and now I'm ready for the small town experience.

Although I will admit, the TL has some killer Vietnamese food, and every time I go there to eat, I think about how great eating would be at Hastings.

Faye Valentine

New

Post by Faye Valentine » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:56 pm

Also, thanks for the info about deposits tmo; I'm just worried that it will update so close to April 15 (the deposit deadline) that I'll forget or something. I keep stressing that I'm going to somehow screw up this part of the process, and I won't end up being able to go anywhere next year!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:01 am

jonzoo wrote:Thanks for the well wishes, tmo.

UC Davis?

JZ
Did you have the same LSAT score last year? Because I got waitlisted last year with a 3.3 in biochemistry and a 161. You should be in this year, but then again they've been unpredictable.

Edit: nevermind, I just saw that your app was late.

PugPug

New

Post by PugPug » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:02 am

high4ever2008 wrote:

Applied in late-November
Complete early-January

JZ
Davis is a great school. If your interest is biglaw though, I would recommend giving Hastings a try as they have better biglaw placement. Good luck.

Could it be that Hastings places better in biglaw b/c more Hastings students than Davis students want to do biglaw?

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:05 am

For sure, and it's alumni base is bigger as well. Davis grads are often choose to go the way of public interest. When you start with a class of <200, with a bunch going to PI, many staying in the Sacto area (where there is no big law), then you end up with less students placed at the huge firms.

PugPug

New

Post by PugPug » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:13 am

Hm, that's true...

Side question: Does anyone think Davis students are hurt by the small alumni base (as far as networking opportunities go, etc...)? I too am considering Davis and Hastings.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:53 am

Faye Valentine wrote:Although I will admit, the TL has some killer Vietnamese food, and every time I go there to eat, I think about how great eating would be at Hastings.
I will really, really miss having SF food all the time, but I guess it's close enough to have when I get a serious craving. Davis' produce and whatnot will hopefully keep me happy enough.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:02 am

PugPug wrote:Hm, that's true...

Side question: Does anyone think Davis students are hurt by the small alumni base (as far as networking opportunities go, etc...)? I too am considering Davis and Hastings.
I think it's a weakness when compared to the base of Hastings, but I don't know if they're "hurt" by it. The admin and students at Davis say that because their alumni liked law school so much and feel pride about King Hall, they're willing to go the extra mile to help new graduates out. It's an interesting question, though, and I'd be interested to see how much everyone else thinks the size of alumni base matters (between these 2 schools especially).

high4ever2008

New

Post by high4ever2008 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:43 am

PugPug wrote:
high4ever2008 wrote:

Applied in late-November
Complete early-January

JZ

Could it be that Hastings places better in biglaw b/c more Hastings students than Davis students want to do biglaw?
I would confidently say that UC Hastings has a good edge over Davis for biglaw. Not just in numbers, but in percentage. In their new employment stats (Class of 2007), Hastings has 1/3 of their class IN 100+ lawyer firms. Davis hasn't updated theirs yet but they had about 23-24% IN 100+ lawyer firms for their Class of 2006.

These percentages seem accurate because the schools actually list the number and percentage of students who obtained those jobs, unlike many other schools that just provide a percentage.

I think both are great schools and I would recommend them if one does not get into a T10/T14 and wants to work in CA. Or even if one does not want to pay for private tuition and wants a reasonable shot at biglaw in CA.

PugPug

New

Post by PugPug » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:17 am

high4ever2008 wrote:
PugPug wrote:
high4ever2008 wrote:

Applied in late-November
Complete early-January

JZ

I would confidently say that UC Hastings has a good edge over Davis for biglaw. Not just in numbers, but in percentage. In their new employment stats (Class of 2007), Hastings has 1/3 of their class IN 100+ lawyer firms. Davis hasn't updated theirs yet but they had about 23-24% IN 100+ lawyer firms for their Class of 2006.

These percentages seem accurate because the schools actually list the number and percentage of students who obtained those jobs, unlike many other schools that just provide a percentage.

I think both are great schools and I would recommend them if one does not get into a T10/T14 and wants to work in CA. Or even if one does not want to pay for private tuition and wants a reasonable shot at biglaw in CA.

The more I hear about this, the less confident I get about which school I'm leaning towards. Is anyone else out there continuously flip flopping?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”