IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
azoraraine

New

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by azoraraine » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:55 pm

Oh, and thanks everyone for the good wishes about my son. They called me to pick him up because he was crying and his ear hurt, so I rushed him to the doctor - which is huge for us bc we don't have insurance. Turned out his ear started hurting about the time the kids who always hit him were taking turns punching him in the head. And the teacher was aware that there was an incident, and did not mention this when we picked him up. His eyes were pointing in different directions, so it must have been pretty bad :( . I am furious and taking appropriate steps.

One of my twins is a rough guy, so I have sympathy for the thumpers in the class - socialization is hard. But my son should not wake up every day knowing that he's gonna get hit. His life is hard enough - which I won't go into. But suffice it to say he has enough BS to deal with.

Thanks for letting me rant :twisted: .

Oh, and I don't know anything about rents and stuff bc I bought this s*&thole Stanley Davis house before the markets went crazy and don't pay very much. Compared to my brother's rent in Oakland, though - holy cow, this is heaven. On the other hand, I could sell this house and buy half of my hometown in NC. Everything is relative...

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:35 pm

2 months at eval in progress?! :( I was really hoping 2 weeks (which others have said was their wait time) was the max in "evaluation in progress". My 2 weeks is comming up on Tuesday so I really thought I had a shot at hearing back before the April 15th deadline for Hastings. By the way, I went there this weekend and checked out the campus. McAllister Tower is depressing. The library is really nice though (way better than Davis's I might add), and their classrooms are pretty nice too. The area is as bad as I've heard, and I spent 25 bucks just to drive in, park and drive out of San Fransisco! It would be depressing to live in that tower though, it smells like sweat on all the floors I was on, and as soon as you leave campus its like your in some sort of depression. 2 months though... I'm sure most of us who are in eval in progress didn't like that news let alone those still in awaiting eval!

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Whoops, I guess I was re-reading page 1 (which I guess I missed earlier) and that previous reply was to that, my bad!

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:13 pm

Ginger123 wrote:No, I'm barely a biker. Being the LA girl that I am, I pretty much drive anywhere.

My only fear of living outside Davis is that no one would come over to my dinner parties and brunches! :)

Well, it is unlikely that I will live in Davis, but being an LA guy I am accustomed to commuting. I hope a little drive will not keep people from coming to my BBQs.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:55 pm

I will drive wherever for dinner parties and bbq's - one of the major downsides of the apartment we took is that we can't have a bbq. I currently use my grill 3-4 times a week, even in the rain, so I will definitely be wanting to get my fix on elsewhere!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

newtocali

New

Post by newtocali » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:17 pm

for the davis locals -

wat do you think of a commute to/from fairfield? really stressful? is there alot of traffic? would the commute to/from vacaville be alot more manageable?

my husband needs to commute to/from vallejo so we are trying to find something that will work for both of us.

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:34 pm

tmo wrote:I will drive wherever for dinner parties and bbq's - one of the major downsides of the apartment we took is that we can't have a bbq. I currently use my grill 3-4 times a week, even in the rain, so I will definitely be wanting to get my fix on elsewhere!
That is part of the reason I probably will not move to Davis. I like to BBQ and apartments are not usually amenable to 12-hour plumes of hickory smoke :D I live in a house now and do not really want to go back to an apartment. Besides, for the amount I would spend on rent for an apartment in Davis, I can have a fairly large house about 20 minutes from campus. Aside from one year of my undergrad I have never had less than a 20 minute commute to school or work, so it would not bother me.

tmo: My SO and I made our first trip to the Davis Peet's on Saturday. I was wondering if you were there, but I did not hear anyone demanding hibiscus breeze :wink:

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Ha, that's fabulous. I seriously was pondering living elsewhere because of the BBQ, so good for you. I will be very jealous!
matt79 wrote:tmo: My SO and I made our first trip to the Davis Peet's on Saturday. I was wondering if you were there, but I did not hear anyone demanding hibiscus breeze
Nope, wasn't there - but more imporantly, did the have it yet???!!!!! Please tell me they did. If not, this does NOT bode well for next Spring.

PugPug

New

Post by PugPug » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:41 pm

tmo wrote:Ha, that's fabulous. I seriously was pondering living elsewhere because of the BBQ, so good for you. I will be very jealous!
matt79 wrote:tmo: My SO and I made our first trip to the Davis Peet's on Saturday. I was wondering if you were there, but I did not hear anyone demanding hibiscus breeze
Nope, wasn't there - but more imporantly, did the have it yet???!!!!! Please tell me they did. If not, this does NOT bode well for next Spring.
tmo I hope you know you have inspired me to try this hibiscus breeze thing. I will be damn pissed if I go to Peet's and they don't have it! :x

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:45 pm

Good for you Pugpug! It's delish! The best way to know why I like it so much is to not just taste Peet's version, but taste Starbucks, Coffee Bean, etc.'s version and do the comparison - Peet's is the clear winner.

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:03 pm

keep it on the dl everyone...

April 3, 2008

FACULTY, STAFF AND STUDENTS

SCHOOL OF LAW

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to tell you that Professor Kevin Johnson has accepted my invitation to serve as Dean of the School of Law, effective July 1, 2008. Professor Johnson is a highly respected member of the School of Law faculty who emerged as the candidate of choice after a national search generated a strong pool of individuals. I very much appreciate the work of the Recruitment Advisory Committee as well as the many thoughtful letters from the Law School community that were submitted at the end of the interview process.

The Office of the President has asked that we not make a formal announcement until the Regents have had an opportunity to act on his appointment at their May meeting—hence this e-mail rather than a press release or other form of communication.

You may share this information internally as needed. We will make a formal announcement of Kevin’s appointment as soon as we are authorized to do so. In the meantime, please join me and Interim Provost Horwitz in welcoming him to his new role. Join us as well in thanking Dean Rex Perschbacher for 10 years of successful leadership of the School.

Sincerely,
Larry N. Vanderhoef
Chancellor

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Very interesting - thanks for posting that gtg263r! This was the guy that spoke to us at the ASD in March. Seemed like a nice, capable man - but wonder why they ran an entire search only to choose him (he was/is the assistant Dean now correct?). He was actually the guy that wrote the little note on my acceptance letter, not Rex.

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:20 pm

tmo wrote:Very interesting - thanks for posting that gtg263r! This was the guy that spoke to us at the ASD in March. Seemed like a nice, capable man - but wonder why they ran an entire search only to choose him (he was/is the assistant Dean now correct?). He was actually the guy that wrote the little note on my acceptance letter, not Rex.
good question. i dunno. i looked up his profile on the davis website. looks good. maybe they wanted someone internal who would have a real stake in the school, rather than someone from outside who has no history w/ the school at all

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:21 pm

btw... what was the dress like at the ASD? casual? like jeans & t-shirt casual?

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Casual - jeans and t's would be fine.

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:23 pm

cool

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:24 pm

gtg263r wrote:btw... what was the dress like at the ASD? casual? like jeans & t-shirt casual?
Yeah, I was wearing a long sleeve button-down shirt and was definitely overdressed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:29 pm

So Bio did you contact Davis about your grants and aid? What's the verdict?

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:32 pm

im flying in to the sacramento airport for the ASD this friday. any suggestions on the easiest way from getting from there to davis?

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:33 pm

let me also add that easiest means cheapest

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:35 pm

gtg263r wrote:im flying in to the sacramento airport for the ASD this friday. any suggestions on the easiest way from getting from there to davis?
It's pretty easy no matter how you do it. I would guess that renting a car is most convenient, especially if you're planning on checking out housing in Davis while you're there. Alternatively, you could take a cab or shuttle of some sort. It's not far at all from the airport to Davis, maybe 15 miles.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:38 pm

tmo wrote:So Bio did you contact Davis about your grants and aid? What's the verdict?
I didn't contact them yet. I'm waiting on Hastings to answer a few financial concerns that I have. Everything's kind of on hold for a few days until I get word on that.

GOB

New

Post by GOB » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:41 pm

gtg263r wrote:im flying in to the sacramento airport for the ASD this friday. any suggestions on the easiest way from getting from there to davis?
Cheapest... Yolo bus
Easiest as in most for you money... Airporter

You're going on the wrong weekend btw. The 19th is Picnic Day. Is anyone going to be in town for that?

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:42 pm

haha, i wish i could stay the full week

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Yeah, I was wearing a long sleeve button-down shirt and was definitely overdressed.
Let's not forget about me, biolaw! Overdressed for the event and for the weather. WTF, I thought it was supposed to be chilly that day... doh!

Thanks for posting, gtg! I didn't get a chance to meet Dean Johnson, but he seemed nice. Haven't had a chance to read his profile yet.

tmo - yeah, I contacted them and am waiting to hear back. I'm sure they're swamped, though. I'll give it a few days...

On a side note, I did a total cost of education comparison and my cheapest school wtih scholly is 18k cheaper than Davis. Can someone please console me that in the long run, 18k (over 3 yrs), is not that big a deal? Davis is also 24k more expensiv ethan my most expensive option, so it's right in the middle. decisions decisions... ok back to work.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”