waitlisted at UC Berkeley/Boalt c/o 2017 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Slytherpuff

Platinum

Re: waitlisted at UC Berkeley/Boalt c/o 2017

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:14 pm

3rd quartile, probably not going to ride this list.

RonBurgundy

New

Post by RonBurgundy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Tuxedo wrote:Waitlisted!

I'm actually honored to even be on the WL (and not in the ding bar), which is definite proof that Berkeley does take into account the full application instead of just looking at some basic scores.

Good luck to everyone!

Totally agree with this. Unfortunately, I just found out I'm in the 4th quartile but with my numbers most of the top 20 schools should be a stretch for me. Surprised I made the list. Good luck to the rest of you!

essyct

New

Post by essyct » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Checking in!

Also in the 1st quartile.

Tuxedo

New

Post by Tuxedo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Checking in—first quartile. Very excited and way beyond expectations.

It looks like Boalt is planning on having all of this worked out by June 2 so even those lucky WL jockeys who manage to be admitted will have time to make appropriate plans for living situations. Once again, Berkeley being cool about all this through their communications.

winterorange

New

Post by winterorange » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:34 am

Second quartile. Unsure of whether or not to withdraw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tuxedo

New

Post by Tuxedo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:04 am

Tuxedo wrote:Checking in—first quartile. Very excited and way beyond expectations.

It looks like Boalt is planning on having all of this worked out by June 2 so even those lucky WL jockeys who manage to be admitted will have time to make appropriate plans for living situations. Once again, Berkeley being cool about all this through their communications.
Correction, it looks like the earliest any waitlist action will happen will be June 2. Sorry for the misinformation.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:17 pm

I'm bumping this thread up!

Anyone hear anything? It's June 4.

bqnoway

New

Post by bqnoway » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:48 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:I'm bumping this thread up!

Anyone hear anything? It's June 4.
curious about this as well. first quartile and no updates yet.

smoshkovich

New

Post by smoshkovich » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Same here. First quartile and nothin yet. This time last year many heard From admissions... I wonder what is going on

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:31 am

i'm kind of surprised nobody [on tls] has heard anything - it seems like berk usually pulls pretty heavily from the waitlist. i'm curious about what is going on!

smoshkovich

New

Post by smoshkovich » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:14 pm

I wonder if it's a bad idea to email them to see if they are behind or just aren't taking anyone off the wait list...

smoshkovich

New

Post by smoshkovich » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:43 pm

This might be what is happening. Got it off the USC forum..

"USC does not keep it's class size small because it values lower student to teacher ratios. The actual reason is far more self serving. The fact is that all law schools operate in an environment of fewer top LSAT scores than in years past. This is coupled with the reality of fewer applicants across the board. To avoid dipping in the rankings even more Gould has made a strategic decision to admit fewer students so as not lower their LSAT median. Since the LSAT median is critical to US News ranking, admitting fewer students until the legal market rebounds and better applicants enter the pool will keep their ranking from taking an even greater hit. Thus the limited action on the waitlist is not likely to change because Gould is lying low until the market rebounds...until then they will take a smaller class and market the situation as a superior learning environment."

Thoughts?

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:14 pm

smoshkovich wrote:This might be what is happening. Got it off the USC forum..

"USC does not keep it's class size small because it values lower student to teacher ratios. The actual reason is far more self serving. The fact is that all law schools operate in an environment of fewer top LSAT scores than in years past. This is coupled with the reality of fewer applicants across the board. To avoid dipping in the rankings even more Gould has made a strategic decision to admit fewer students so as not lower their LSAT median. Since the LSAT median is critical to US News ranking, admitting fewer students until the legal market rebounds and better applicants enter the pool will keep their ranking from taking an even greater hit. Thus the limited action on the waitlist is not likely to change because Gould is lying low until the market rebounds...until then they will take a smaller class and market the situation as a superior learning environment."

Thoughts?
Hard to know. Berkeley has never been to LSAT focused though. hmmm... You'd think they'd have a couple of great LSAT takers on their wait list. USC dropped a lot in rankings, so I'm not surprised they're trying to avoid another drop.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smoshkovich

New

Post by smoshkovich » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:28 pm

My friend who got rejected and then appealed got a letter from dean tom saying the students who received acceptances had a median LSAT score of 170. This is up from 167 for the past 3-4 years. What a jump...

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:41 pm

smoshkovich wrote:My friend who got rejected and then appealed got a letter from dean tom saying the students who received acceptances had a median LSAT score of 170. This is up from 167 for the past 3-4 years. What a jump...
Maybe the currently enrolled class still has a median LSAT score of around 167 though? Otherwise yeah, that's crazy.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:44 am

smoshkovich wrote:My friend who got rejected and then appealed got a letter from dean tom saying the students who received acceptances had a median LSAT score of 170. This is up from 167 for the past 3-4 years. What a jump...
that's median accepted not median matriculated, which is what a school's medians are actually. Of course many of the students with higher stats are going to matriculate at other schools

smoshkovich

New

Post by smoshkovich » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Someone on the penn waitlist posted this. Thought you all might want to read it:

I went ahead and called Berkeley today because I am waiting on Berkeley and Penn. The person at Berkeley told me that they are not sending out any updates because they are waiting on schools like Harvard to publish their lists and make their acceptances, because apparently some of the schools at the top have been holding out. This may be influencing Penn too. They may think they have a class only for HYS to destroy their stability

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kokoshes

New

Post by kokoshes » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Ok, so they're holding out, fine, that makes sense. But what does that mean for people in the 2nd and 3rd, and even 4th, quartile? Are they not going to go past the 1st? Or am I to understand that since I'm in the 2nd quartile I could, maybe, possible, potentially, get an acceptance in like late July or even August??

hellomellow

Bronze

Post by hellomellow » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:48 pm

i was accepted to berks about six months ago, and i'm not sure how helpful this comment will be but i know a lot of people who are on the WL at HYS and would be ready to go there if they got off the wl (myself included). it seems that the whole process is a bit slow this year but i wouldn't lose hope yet!

kokoshes

New

Post by kokoshes » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Soooo... what's the hold up with HYS?

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:27 pm

kokoshes wrote:Soooo... what's the hold up with HYS?
It's HYS, they can do whatever they want.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:38 pm

H has already admitted a lot of people and S has as well. Y has admitted some I think too

goodarrd

New

Post by goodarrd » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:06 pm

checking in! First quartile.

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:14 pm

kokoshes wrote:Soooo... what's the hold up with HYS?

There is none. Harvard has been accepting off the waitlist and many and the other two have really small class sizes so not much there.

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:16 am

checking in.. still waiting. 2nd quartile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”