Stanford Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Stanford Waitlist 2013

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 2:56 pm

switchis32 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
switchis32 wrote:Anyone want to call and demand they start to evaluate us? Haha
the deadline for some people was May 25. They definitely won't start until after that date
Are there any ideas on how they assigned deadlines? Mine was on the 15th
mine was 15 too

the last people to hear about WL were told may 25

switchis32

Bronze

Post by switchis32 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:39 pm

anyone think that the next wave of hls wl acceptances will bring some activity for us over here?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:42 pm

switchis32 wrote:anyone think that the next wave of hls wl acceptances will bring some activity for us over here?
no

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 22, 2013 5:42 pm

switchis32 wrote:anyone think that the next wave of hls wl acceptances will bring some activity for us over here?
lol you are extremely (perhaps naively?) optimistic about this. posting in the "In at Stanford" thread about financial aid -- that's some balls you got on you. Dean Deal will have to let you in now.

Anonymous1313

New

Post by Anonymous1313 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Just curious - why is it unlikely that a wave of hls waitlist acceptances would lead to some movement for us? I thought I read that Harvard is expected to accept well over 100 more people off of their waitlist. If so, isn't there a decent possibility that 10-15 people accepted to sls and waitlisted at hls would choose hls, e.g., if they prefer the east coast?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Anonymous1313 wrote:Just curious - why is it unlikely that a wave of hls waitlist acceptances would lead to some movement for us? I thought I read that Harvard is expected to accept well over 100 more people off of their waitlist. If so, isn't there a decent possibility that 10-15 people accepted to sls and waitlisted at hls would choose hls, e.g., if they prefer the east coast?
in my opinion, I feel like it is unlikely that there is a great enough number of applicants who have been accepted to SLS and WLed at HLS and likely to withdraw to have any kind of causative effect on the SLS WL. Maybe I'm wrong.

switchis32

Bronze

Post by switchis32 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
lol you are extremely (perhaps naively?) optimistic about this. posting in the "In at Stanford" thread about financial aid -- that's some balls you got on you. Dean Deal will have to let you in now.
I am not trying to be predictive of my chances of being admitted. I am currently committed to one of ccn on a full ride but would also like to stay in california (for various reasons). That being said, I am also very debt averse especially now that I have a full ride else where. I am wondering if I should wait for Stanford or just withdrawl and relax with where I am now. Knowing how much is possible to get in aid would very much help me in making my decision. I thought that due to my financial situation it might be a good question to ask...

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Thu May 23, 2013 11:41 am

switchis32 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
I am not trying to be predictive of my chances of being admitted. I am currently committed to one of ccn on a full ride but would also like to stay in california (for various reasons). That being said, I am also very debt averse especially now that I have a full ride else where. I am wondering if I should wait for Stanford or just withdrawl and relax with where I am now. Knowing how much is possible to get in aid would very much help me in making my decision. I thought that due to my financial situation it might be a good question to ask...
I don't blame you for this. It's easy to get starry eyed at HYS, but when you consider that a full ride v. sticker is about 200k, it's a tough choice. It all seems like monopoly money now, but, assuming biglaw, it'll be nice to have a fat salary to spend on things that are not loans.

I've got 1/2 ride at MVP, and while I'm pretty sure I'd go for Stanford (I want to be in California as well), it wouldn't be a crazy decision to turn it down either.

kfischm1

Bronze

Post by kfischm1 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Just withdrew from the wait list.

Good luck to everyone!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 23, 2013 4:19 pm

kfischm1 wrote:Just withdrew from the wait list.

Good luck to everyone!!
Congrats again on Harvard!

kfischm1

Bronze

Post by kfischm1 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:35 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
kfischm1 wrote:Just withdrew from the wait list.

Good luck to everyone!!
Congrats again on Harvard!
Thanks! :-)

Anonymous1313

New

Post by Anonymous1313 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
switchis32 wrote:Anyone want to call and demand they start to evaluate us? Haha
the deadline for some people was May 25. They definitely won't start until after that date
Why is that? If they have any seats to fill, wouldn't they want to fill them sooner rather than later to get the best candidates, in which case they could review all applications for any waitlisters once their reply date has passed and then close the review early next week for the May 25 folks?

I'm not suggesting that you're wrong, I'm just trying to understand the process and timeline better since I may have to make some big decisions soon. Thanks.

kfischm1

Bronze

Post by kfischm1 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:52 pm

IMO, with the wave of acceptances of people off the HLS waitlist, I think it will increase the people's chances of acceptance to Stanford who are currently on the Stanford waitlist. My reasoning is because a good amount of people were waitlisted at both schools, and most of those who have just been admitted to Harvard will withdraw from the Stanford waitlist and commit to Harvard. Therefore, there will be fewer people remaining on the Stanford waitlist, translating into a higher percentage of waitlisted -> admitted. (Of course, this assumes that Stanford is going to accept people from the waitlist, and no, I didn't go and count exactly how many TLS users are on both lists)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Sat May 25, 2013 5:43 pm

kfischm1 wrote:IMO, with the wave of acceptances of people off the HLS waitlist, I think it will increase the people's chances of acceptance to Stanford who are currently on the Stanford waitlist. My reasoning is because a good amount of people were waitlisted at both schools, and most of those who have just been admitted to Harvard will withdraw from the Stanford waitlist and commit to Harvard. Therefore, there will be fewer people remaining on the Stanford waitlist, translating into a higher percentage of waitlisted -> admitted. (Of course, this assumes that Stanford is going to accept people from the waitlist, and no, I didn't go and count exactly how many TLS users are on both lists)
But why wouldn't those people just wait it out on the SLS WL? Unless they knew that wanted HLS over SLS, in which case they would have declined their acceptance anyway... leaving the same number of open spots

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Sat May 25, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm guessing some are in the position of being WLed on both sides, and would prefer SLS over HLS (but would also would be happy with the first one that came along).

Also, these two factoids may not represent the entire SLS Class of 2016, but the Unofficial Facebook Group has 140 people in it. The official Google group has 114 members. Both of those member counts include me (deferred). I'm not dedicated enough (right now, at least) to cross-checking all of those names, but we know from a Faye Deal blog post that they've targeted a class size of 180 before; as far as I know, we have no information to suggest that they would have changed that policy.

(180; how fitting for a law school!)

-edited for accuracy-
Last edited by Vincent on Sun May 26, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

switchis32

Bronze

Post by switchis32 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:39 am

Vincent wrote:I'm guessing some are in the position of being WLed on both sides, and would prefer SLS over HLS (but would also would be happy with the first one that came along).

Also, this isn't as representative, but the Unofficial Facebook Group has 140 people in it. The official Google group has 114 members. Both of those member counts include me (deferred), at least. I'm not dedicated enough (right now, at least) to cross-checking all of those names, but we know SLS targets a class size of 180.

This is definitely very interesting info! Though not necessarily conclusive, I would love to see if this means they are still looking for people!

kfischm1

Bronze

Post by kfischm1 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:07 am

Vincent wrote:I'm guessing some are in the position of being WLed on both sides, and would prefer SLS over HLS (but would also would be happy with the first one that came along).-
This.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

switchis32

Bronze

Post by switchis32 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 am

Our one month anniversary was a few days ago... how do you all wanna celebrate? :/

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:47 am

Awfully slow in here, boys n girls. We need something to cheer us up.

khaleesi

New

Post by khaleesi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:09 am

jbagelboy wrote:Awfully slow in here, boys n girls. We need something to cheer us up.
Depositers were asked to reconfirm intent to enroll by June 21st. They might wait til after that date.

switchis32

Bronze

Post by switchis32 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:09 am

god do I hope that they begin to evaluate our applications before then...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

switchis32

Bronze

Post by switchis32 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:19 pm

So I called, and they have not begun to evaluate us :(

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 pm

switchis32 wrote:So I called, and they have not begun to evaluate us :(
I am not at all surprised.

edit

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:21 pm

switchis32 wrote:So I called, and they have not begun to evaluate us :(
Thank you for calling.

Again though, arent you deferring law school for a fellowship? You realize if you are admitted off the WL, you will not be able to defer? What have I been missing

nextstep222

New

Post by nextstep222 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Just thought I'd revive this terrible thread to see if anyone has heard anything?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”