In at Harvard: Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jselson

Platinum

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Post by jselson » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:01 am

tachikara wrote:Congratulations to all the admitted students!

I'm a rising 2L in the Harvard Business Law Review, and we have some great opportunities for incoming 1Ls to contribute this summer and get a head start in the journal. Projects would be done remotely, and you would be working closely with an HBLR board member. Please message me if you are interested or if you have any questions (about the journal or anything else HLS related). Hope to see you soon in the fall!
I have no academic business background and instead studied English and Art History. Would I be a good fit?

Jk

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:33 pm

For immunization, it seems like I have to get a physical exam and some shots, and have some forms filled out by a healthcare provider. Should I wait until HLS emails me about this? I'm a WL admit and so I haven't heard from HLS about immunization yet.

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:41 pm

jychun412 wrote:For immunization, it seems like I have to get a physical exam and some shots, and have some forms filled out by a healthcare provider. Should I wait until HLS emails me about this? I'm a WL admit and so I haven't heard from HLS about immunization yet.
Don't think they "told" us about it, it's just on the admitted checklist.

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Oh. I didn't even see the checklist. Thanks :)

gertie

New

Post by gertie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:20 pm

I was told I did not need to get a physical. You might want to call them, some things are suggested not mandatory.
jychun412 wrote:For immunization, it seems like I have to get a physical exam and some shots, and have some forms filled out by a healthcare provider. Should I wait until HLS emails me about this? I'm a WL admit and so I haven't heard from HLS about immunization yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:42 pm

gertie wrote:I was told I did not need to get a physical. You might want to call them, some things are suggested not mandatory.

Yeah, I called and she said I should just send in the immunization record and they'll tell us if I need to do anything. The forms on the website sounded like I needed to do all those forms but I guess not :)

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Searchparty wrote:
pixelated wrote:
trojandave wrote:
GertrudeR wrote:How long does it typically take to get the "step 3" email for your financial aid award? Will that email clarify how the required base loan works? I'm confused about what types of loans can be used for the required supplemental base loan. I just called and they said it could be private but had to be educational...and now I'm just confused about what that means and don't want to call back for the third time today. Please help! :oops:
Stage 3 took a long time for me, but I sent my financial aid stuff in really early too. My guess is you'll get it soon since it's crunch time. But from what I understand, the base loan can be made up of whatever you want. Most people will use the Stafford for 20k of it, but the rest can be private loans, Harvard Loans, Perkins loans... (When they say private educational loans, they just mean the loan has to earmarked for education, not like something you'd go get from a loan shark or a shady private lender. Anything you're looking at with Discover, Sallie Mae, major banks etc, will be an educational loan so you'll be ok.) But I don't think you have to use any of these options in particular, you just need to pay the school and those are the options they give you. If you want to do entirely private I think you can. If you want to do it entirely with stafford and grad plus, you can. You should apply for private loans and get some interest rates so you can start comparing to the federal and Harvard rates. Then when you get your stage 3 email it'll be easy
I too am a little confused on the base loan requirement. I am international so instead of federal loans I am being offered $25K of Harvard loans at a fixed interest rate of 7% in addition to the required $15K supplemental loan requirement. The thing is I have family members willing to loan me money at a much lower interest rate and I would thus really prefer not to take out the Harvard loan. If I can get a loan agreement notarized with the individual can that work or would it have to be through an educational lending agency? I don't understand why I HAVE to take out these private loans when I can get them the money on time anyway...being international makes applying to loans a pain in the ass as is.
Take it out, and pay it right back.
I wonder what HLS's opinion on that would be.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:03 am

LexLeon wrote:
Searchparty wrote:
pixelated wrote:
I too am a little confused on the base loan requirement. I am international so instead of federal loans I am being offered $25K of Harvard loans at a fixed interest rate of 7% in addition to the required $15K supplemental loan requirement. The thing is I have family members willing to loan me money at a much lower interest rate and I would thus really prefer not to take out the Harvard loan. If I can get a loan agreement notarized with the individual can that work or would it have to be through an educational lending agency? I don't understand why I HAVE to take out these private loans when I can get them the money on time anyway...being international makes applying to loans a pain in the ass as is.
The loan agreement oughtta be enough. You just need to show that you did take out at least $15k in loans and indeed needed that grant.

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:58 pm

gertie wrote:I was told I did not need to get a physical. You might want to call them, some things are suggested not mandatory.
Although the Health Care Provider's Report page requires that the date of your physical exam be within the last 12 months of registration.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:03 pm

TripTrip wrote:
LexLeon wrote:
Searchparty wrote:
pixelated wrote:
The loan agreement oughtta be enough. You just need to show that you did take out at least $15k in loans and indeed needed that grant.
You'd first have to wait for your loan servicer information, or else you wouldn't have anywhere to send the money. However, I really don't think that they are privy to your payments in real-time (ie, I doubt they get notification). I don't think they care how quickly you pay off your loan... Really, your family could be willing and able to pay it off. If your assessment of need was honest and true, then so be it. Just like they don't expect parents to be able to contribute their assessed parental contribution amount - they shouldn't expect that the parents (or other relatives) can't provide you aid to pay-off your loans.

And, since they really don't have any verbiage on the subject....

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Searchparty wrote:
Although the Health Care Provider's Report page requires that the date of your physical exam be within the last 12 months of registration.
Has anyone found out do we actually need a physical within the last year? I have no desire to get one unless we have too.

Longtimelurk

New

Post by Longtimelurk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey there! Waitlister here crashing the party!

Anyone here get accepted of the waitlist and not going? Did they follow up after you told them no?

Lot of people over here in the waitlist court would love to hear from you! We promise not to mob you if you help enlighten us!

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:Hey there! Waitlister here crashing the party!

Anyone here get accepted of the waitlist and not going? Did they follow up after you told them no?

Lot of people over here in the waitlist court would love to hear from you! We promise not to mob you if you help enlighten us!
My guess is that anyone who got in off the waitlist and then decided just a week or two later not to attend probably has a much stronger tie to where he/she is enrolling and isn't checking this thread too often. But hopefully I'm wrong and you can get some good answers to this. Meanwhile a lot of us here are checking the waitlist thread frequently and pulling for you guys - especially now that the deposit deadline passed. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:04 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Searchparty wrote:
Has anyone found out do we actually need a physical within the last year? I have no desire to get one unless we have too.
Nobody? Everyone has had a physical in the last year?

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:28 pm

wert3813 wrote: Nobody? Everyone has had a physical in the last year?
I did the physical last month. I assumed it was required since it is listed as a required form, but the language in the actual document is a bit confusing.

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Why not just get one? It only takes 10 minutes and you have to go see the doc anyway so that he can sign off on your immunizations.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:41 pm

trojandave wrote:Why not just get one? It only takes 10 minutes and you have to go see the doc anyway so that he can sign off on your immunizations.
Because I haven't lived in my hometown since before college (where I am now for about a month) and so my physician is a pediatrician. Obviously I'm a little past the age where I can see him. Thus I'm just seeing some random doctor who I don't know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:08 pm

wert3813 wrote:
trojandave wrote:Why not just get one? It only takes 10 minutes and you have to go see the doc anyway so that he can sign off on your immunizations.
Because I haven't lived in my hometown since before college (where I am now for about a month) and so my physician is a pediatrician. Obviously I'm a little past the age where I can see him. Thus I'm just seeing some random doctor who I don't know.
Yeah that's annoying. But if you go see the old guy at least you can play in the castle

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:40 pm

wert3813 wrote:
I hear ya. I'm staying in my gf's hometown for a month. I'm just going to the town's walk-in clinic. Hopefully it won't be too much.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:13 pm

trojandave wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
Yeah that's annoying. But if you go see the old guy at least you can play in the castle
:lol:

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:15 pm

jselson wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
I hear ya. I'm staying in my gf's hometown for a month. I'm just going to the town's walk-in clinic. Hopefully it won't be too much.
Just called. Physical within the last year is not necessary. HTH.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:12 am

For immunization, you just need to email the office your immunization record and she'll tell you what else you need to do.
As for me, I just needed to get one more vaccine shot and send Medical Identification and Questionnaire forms to her.

Kitkatt

New

Post by Kitkatt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:52 pm

jychun412 wrote:For immunization, you just need to email the office your immunization record and she'll tell you what else you need to do.
As for me, I just needed to get one more vaccine shot and send Medical Identification and Questionnaire forms to her.
Who did you email your form to? I cantfind am actual email address for their office.

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Kitkatt wrote:
jychun412 wrote:For immunization, you just need to email the office your immunization record and she'll tell you what else you need to do.
Who did you email your form to? I cantfind am actual email address for their office.
Rancatore, Connie Crancatore@huhs.harvard.edu
I called first and she was the one who answered.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm here on Cambridge now too! Yay. Except that my apartment has no air and it's going to be 97 tomorrow. :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”