Penn State (Dickinson) 2012-13 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
No Name

New

Re: Penn State (Dickinson) 2012-13 applicants

Post by No Name » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:09 pm

LaurenKO wrote:
No Name wrote:I am a late applicant. Went under review last week. Anyone know the chances of being admitted this late or about how long it takes after going under review?
I've been under review since 2/4/13, I wish I knew what they are doing....
Yeah I do too. I guess I will continue wasting my days with constant speculation...

y.acosta

New

Post by y.acosta » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 pm

I actually just recently applied so I'm a late applicant as well. I received my acceptance like four days after applying and a 25,000 scholarship if that helps anyone.

gewbert

New

Post by gewbert » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:38 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
nodice410 wrote:1L at carlisle here to answer any questions
I see that the sticker price is 39,000. My scholarship only covers 35,000; I assume their is still room? I have yet to send out any emails, but are they typically welcoming to negotiation?

I still have yet to receive my acceptance letter, I can't seem to find their scholarship stipulations, can you enlighten me?

Which campus are you on? Do you feel like an UG at University Park? Though, now that I think of it, I am sure you run into a lot of Grad students as well?

On campus or off-campus housing? Price differences, quality of life?

Thanks for your time!
He said he went to Carlisle, and I'm the same, but I'm a 3L and have some friends who are in UP so i'll try to help.

I didn't have much luck negotiating my scholarship, but it's always worth a shot to ask. The worst that they can say is no.

My understanding is the usual scholarship stipulation is a 3.0, which is about 50% of class. 1L classes are curved to a B (in general).

From what I gather from UP, the law school is fairly isolated/independent. Not much in the way of interaction with other graduate students/undergrads. It happens, and the law school is part of the Graduate Student Assembly (I think that's what it's called), but I haven't heard much talk of interaction personally. It may happen, I just don't hear about it.

I don't know the housing market all that well, but I think a lost of people their 1L year lived on campus in White Course (think that's the name) and then a LOT moved out and onto off-campus apartments. Can't say why/how many, that's just the impression I got.

ChadMichael

New

Post by ChadMichael » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Not going to the law school, but I'm an undergrad at PSU right now and can tell you anything about the area/housing market/etc. if anyone has any questions regarding the area.

shredmeister

New

Post by shredmeister » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:49 pm

what makes PSU stand out as a regional school in PA? Where are job prospects located? Philly/pitt concentrate or middle-of-nowhere's-ville?

Got 35k/yr and seriously considering- hoping for best ADR education a 159 and 3.9 can get. Just need some answers. (visiting for april 6 open house)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChadMichael

New

Post by ChadMichael » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:37 pm

shredmeister wrote:what makes PSU stand out as a regional school in PA? Where are job prospects located? Philly/pitt concentrate or middle-of-nowhere's-ville?

Got 35k/yr and seriously considering- hoping for best ADR education a 159 and 3.9 can get. Just need some answers. (visiting for april 6 open house)
Most job prospects are Pitt-Philly, but we have a bustling natural gas industry which needs lawyers throughout the state if you're interested in such work in rural places. I don't know how PSU looks out of state, yet in state there are so many dedicated alumni and supporters of Penn State it almost seems like a cult. There is a "Penn State" mentality in a lot of organizations where the name on the degree means a lot to the hiring process than it would in other places. The name alone is recognizable, and with your scholarship it's even more intriguing if your want to practice within Pennsylvania.

superhopefulwoo

Bronze

Post by superhopefulwoo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:46 pm

ChadMichael wrote:
shredmeister wrote:what makes PSU stand out as a regional school in PA? Where are job prospects located? Philly/pitt concentrate or middle-of-nowhere's-ville?

Most job prospects are Pitt-Philly, but we have a bustling natural gas industry which needs lawyers throughout the state if you're interested in such work in rural places. I don't know how PSU looks out of state, yet in state there are so many dedicated alumni and supporters of Penn State it almost seems like a cult. There is a "Penn State" mentality in a lot of organizations where the name on the degree means a lot to the hiring process than it would in other places. The name alone is recognizable, and with your scholarship it's even more intriguing if your want to practice within Pennsylvania.

Do you think PSU grads beat out other PA grads (minus UPenn since they mostly place out of state anyway) in the Philly market? Like Temple/Villa/Drexel? Considering their distance from Philly, I would think it would be more challenging. On the other hand, this is not the first time I heard they have an incredibly strong alumni network (especially in PA). Do you think this network trumps the small employment prospect advantages with some of the other schools?

shredmeister

New

Post by shredmeister » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:59 pm

ChadMichael wrote:

thats basically what I'm wondering... I know my cousin went there for undergrad and got a ridiculously high paying job on wall street afterwards solely because of alumni network. Not sure if that works with law school though

ChadMichael

New

Post by ChadMichael » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:21 am

superhopefulwoo wrote:
ChadMichael wrote:

Do you think PSU grads beat out other PA grads (minus UPenn since they mostly place out of state anyway) in the Philly market? Like Temple/Villa/Drexel? Considering their distance from Philly, I would think it would be more challenging. On the other hand, this is not the first time I heard they have an incredibly strong alumni network (especially in PA). Do you think this network trumps the small employment prospect advantages with some of the other schools?
I know it does for undergrad, law school I'm not as positive about. I wish I could saw for certainty it would, but I can't honestly say that. I know that we have ties to all the big markets such as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh; but I do not know if it trumps Temple and Villanova for the Philadelphia area.

Yet, given the size and strength of our alumni I feel as if a Penn State degree does not hold you back from pursuing the career options you have before you. It's a respected and established institution and the state as a whole puts PSU on a pedestal above many other equally promising universities. But once again, I don't know if the legal field in PA is concurrent with the views of the state as a whole.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChadMichael

New

Post by ChadMichael » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:30 am

shredmeister wrote:
ChadMichael wrote:

thats basically what I'm wondering... I know my cousin went there for undergrad and got a ridiculously high paying job on wall street afterwards solely because of alumni network. Not sure if that works with law school though
I imagine your cousin did the MACC program, which does help with a great Wall Street job. Once again, not positive about the law prospects which you are looking towards but I do know about the dedicated alumni. The state loves hiring PSU graduates and graduates of the same institution many of them attended; but in the Philly area I am sure Temple rivals the PSU alumni and for Pittsburgh I'm sure Pitt has such a following. Penn State is unique that is not within such a market yet has connections to both, there may be strong ties to certain regional schools but I still know Penn State is respected and known in both markets which could be an advantage if you can't find the career you're looking for in one.

gewbert

New

Post by gewbert » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:43 am

superhopefulwoo wrote:
ChadMichael wrote:

From the prospective of a 3L, I can tell you that it's pretty difficult to go out of the state with a degree from the law school. I'm high up in my class and on a Law Review and I couldn't even do it. Doesn't help that it's a tough job market (though I'm seeing signs of improvement...barely).

Philly is pretty much controlled by Temple and Nova from what I can gather. I know some people who have jobs there, so it's
certainly possible, but you need to be in the top of the class to have a shot. Most people I know have gotten jobs working in Harrisburg/Lancaster/York. Some make it further out west (towards Pittsburgh). It's pretty local though, so be sure you want to live in the area.

To be honest, I didn't get much from the PSU connection. I got more from the Dickinson law school connection in terms of alumni support, but the PSU name I'm sure helps and the network was there.

The natural gas industry is a major factor right now and oil/gas law has become a VERY popular class. So if you're interested in that, Dickinson is a great place to attend. Also, Shredmesiter, if you're really interested in ADR, this is a good school. PM me if you want more details.

billiris321

New

Post by billiris321 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:42 am

I got waitlisted with a 165 LSAT. I've been accepted to 10 T1 (most on schollies), several in the top 25. I thought I was a chance for a huge scholarship here.

What on the earth is going on?

gewbert

New

Post by gewbert » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:45 am

Happened to me with a couple of my safety schools. Sometimes schools don't extend offers I think when they know there's little chance of you coming. If it's one of your top choices, then write to them and let them know!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoMistakes

New

Post by NoMistakes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 pm

just had a 3/27 under review...anyone else?

justcallmeit

New

Post by justcallmeit » Sun May 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Yasy13

New

Post by Yasy13 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:38 am

No penn state love? anyone planning on attending or waitlisted or opinions or anything?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”