WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RedGiant

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by RedGiant » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:28 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:WUSTL: Hi bananasplit19, we know you're all headdesk about scholarship offers, so here's an e-mail about events in Chicago, New York, and Washington, DC!
Me: I'm in California.
WUSTL: No mention of scholly offer, but feel free to RSVP!
Me: headdesk
This was so me...in Cali...email was kind, but not relevant, AND, more importantly, not the email I've been waiting for from WUSTL! C'mon schollies!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cusenation wrote: Gotta get dat presTTTTTTTTige
I'll just mutter something about Yale here and people will blow it out of proportion for the next three days.
Has anyone ever went WashU ----> Yale?

I wish there was some info on transfer and where schools take transfers from (unless there is?)
Eh there are transfer threads on TLS that you could browse...I think 1L performance is prioritized over pedigree as far as transfer-evaluation...but I guess it would be hard to transfer into T14 if you're at a T2 or T3
Do you believe that T30---> T6 is possible?
Last edited by JayJones78 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
I'll just mutter something about Yale here and people will blow it out of proportion for the next three days.
Has anyone ever gone WashU ----> Yale?

I wish there was some info on transfer and where schools take transfers from (unless there is?)
There's very little info compared to general admissions, but from what I've gathered on TLS, this is probably not very likely. It's possible, but I'd bet you'd have to be the top student (not top 1%) in your class and have an incredible resume to boot.

It's cool to think you'd like to transfer if you did incredibly well, but for the most part it's probably not going to be worth it since the top students at WUSTL doesn't have many doors closed to them that spending an extra $50-100k at a T14 would open.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Hypothetically of course, I'd only consider transferring if it was for HYS. If you have the grades to transfer to the T10 out of WUSTL then you have the grades to get a good job out of WUSTL at a fraction of the cost of the T10.

edit: brofist, sunny
Last edited by Xs20 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
It's cool to think you'd like to transfer if you did incredibly well, but for the most part it's probably not going to be worth it since the top students at WUSTL doesn't have many doors closed to them that spending an extra $50-100k at a T14 would open.
Basically.
Xs20 wrote:Hypothetically of course, I'd only consider transferring if it was for HYS. If you have the grades to transfer to the T10 out of WUSTL then you have the grades to get a good job out of WUSTL at a fraction of the cost of the T10.
Basically.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm

JayJones78 wrote: Do you believe that T30---> T6 is possible?
I personally know two T30's that transferred to HLS and CLS. But they were top 1% and parents were paying for tuition, so it made sense. They already had 1L SA offers when they transferred..so it was purely done for prestige lol

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Plus you'd go from being the big fish during OCI to just another transfer student. Each school treats transfers differently, but I doubt any of them give transfers the same treatment as schools give their top students.

All of this is incredibly hypothetical, though. Hope for top 20%, assume median.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:32 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Has anyone ever gone WashU ----> Yale?

There's very little info compared to general admissions, but from what I've gathered on TLS, this is probably not very likely. It's possible, but I'd bet you'd have to be the top student (not top 1%) in your class and have an incredible resume to boot.

Exactly. I talked to a few current students at W&L that came with the mindset that they'll most likely transfer, but discovered that since they are already at the top of their class going up is not going to change much for them, especially if they want biglaw

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:40 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Hope for top 20%, assume median.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
+1
I'm a special snowflake, none of this nonsense applies to me.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:48 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:
+1

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:50 pm

andy261 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:
+1
I think that most people who think that they may transfer end up not just because it doesn't make any sense when you're already at the top. Why do it to yourself, you'll be able to find a job

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:10 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
andy261 wrote:
I think that most people who think that they may transfer end up not just because it doesn't make any sense when you're already at the top. Why do it to yourself, you'll be able to find a job
Applying to transfer at the top of your class always makes sense. By announcing your intention to leave, you open up the possibility of scholarships even if you decide to stay. This is even more true if you're already paying sticker.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:13 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
andy261 wrote:
Applying to transfer at the top of your class always makes sense. By announcing your intention to leave, you open up the possibility of scholarships even if you decide to stay. This is even more true if you're already paying sticker.
Oh I totally agree there. I meant why would it make sense to leave if you're at the top

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:19 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Oh I totally agree there. I meant why would it make sense to leave if you're at the top
Say you're paying sticker at WUSTL. If you apply and are accepted as a transfer into the T6, transferring would still make sense if WUSTL didn't offer up a pretty decent scholarship. It's not so much an issue of prestige as portability. I intend to work in Kansas City. If I ever decided to move though, doing it with a Penn JD would probably be easier than a JD from WUSTL.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Wait who just misattributed that quote to me

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:21 pm

andy261 wrote:Wait who just misattributed that quote to me
That was a quotefail on my part. I didn't delete an /quote.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:22 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
JayJones78 wrote: I think that most people who think that they may transfer end up not just because it doesn't make any sense when you're already at the top. Why do it to yourself, you'll be able to find a job
What? You realize that the only reason scholarships are offered to applicants are so that schools can include their GPA/LSAT numbers into their USNWR report, right? After you're a student, they have literally no reason to give you a bigger scholarship to stay.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Xs20 wrote: What? You realize that the only reason scholarships are offered to applicants are so that schools can include their GPA/LSAT numbers into their USNWR report, right? After you're a student, they have literally no reason to give you a bigger scholarship to stay.
Some schools do give good scholarships to their best students who threaten to transfer. I'm just not sure if WUSTL is one of them.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Xs20 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
JayJones78 wrote: I think that most people who think that they may transfer end up not just because it doesn't make any sense when you're already at the top. Why do it to yourself, you'll be able to find a job
What? You realize that the only reason scholarships are offered to applicants are so that schools can include their GPA/LSAT numbers into their USNWR report, right? After you're a student, they have literally no reason to give you a bigger scholarship to stay.
I thought the misquote was intentional and LOLd

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Xs20 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Ehhh I wouldn't say that is accurate. They want successful students who will help their employment outcomes and potentially donate money to the school someday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Xs20 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
I talked to someone at W&L that the school upped their scholly to near full ride to get them to stay and not transfer.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
I talked to someone at W&L that the school upped their scholly to near full ride to get them to stay and not transfer.
I'ma do that.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:27 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Has anyone ever gone WashU ----> Yale?

It happened my 1L year, and we had a couple people go to Harvard. I think we had 5-6 transfers to the T6, and a few more to lower ranked T14s. Maybe a small handful who transferred laterally or not up much (one guy went to UCLA for geographic/personal reasons).

Also, for you 0Ls who are interested in the current goings on of the school.

(slinks back out)

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:28 pm

romothesavior wrote: (slinks back out)
You're always more than welcome here!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”