Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:52 pm

Pierrot wrote:Are people bringing guests to ASW? I'm probably going alone...
I love how the form gives you a space for 5 guests and says to contact if you have more than 5 guests. :shock:

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:12 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
I love how the form gives you a space for 5 guests and says to contact if you have more than 5 guests. :shock:

That southern hospitality

heyman86us

New

Post by heyman86us » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:27 pm

If I accept an offer of waitlist, do I need to pay the 1st (initial) deposit?

I am almost certain that I do not have to pay the 1st deposit, but I want to confirm that.

Thanks,

helpplease

Bronze

Post by helpplease » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:08 pm

heyman86us wrote:If I accept an offer of waitlist, do I need to pay the 1st (initial) deposit?

I am almost certain that I do not have to pay the 1st deposit, but I want to confirm that.

Thanks,
No, you don't. Also, for those confused about the waitlist/deposit situation, the priority waitlist email I received says they will REIMBURSE up to $250 if you choose to attend Emory and placed a seat deposit at another school. They're generously offering to pay your seat deposit at another school because they know they're putting you in an awkward position by not giving decisions til late April.

heyman86us

New

Post by heyman86us » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:30 pm

helpplease wrote:
heyman86us wrote:If I accept an offer of waitlist, do I need to pay the 1st (initial) deposit?

Thanks,
No, you don't. Also, for those confused about the waitlist/deposit situation, the priority waitlist email I received says they will REIMBURSE up to $250 if you choose to attend Emory and placed a seat deposit at another school. They're generously offering to pay your seat deposit at another school because they know they're putting you in an awkward position by not giving decisions til late April.
Thanks for your response.

Yes, I understood the part that Emory will credit a student's account for the amount of his/her non-refundable 1st deposit to one other law school (up to $250) if he/she matriculate at Emory.

Thanks for confirming that I do not have to pay the initial (1st) deposit for accepting waitlist offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:57 pm

Ah, nevermind. I don't know what I was thinking.... >.<

Sorry, Emory. I mistakenly misjudged you.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:00 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Ah, nevermind. I don't know what I was thinking.... >.<

Sorry, Emory. I mistakenly misjudged you.
It's okay. I good friend of mine also thought the letter meant she had to deposit while on the waitlist. It may have been a bit clumsily written, but I really do appreciate the candor.

muhami

New

Post by muhami » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:43 am

My parents really want to go so I am bringing them - hopefully other people bring guests!

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Emory is looking a little better on LST.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LittleBlueBird

Bronze

Post by LittleBlueBird » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:34 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
TheThriller wrote:in other news, anyone have the link for the admitted students FB.

Also Sunny, are you a PWL person? Don't you have some killer offers at other schools?
Strangely enough, Vandy is one of my top choices (and a hail mary for me. I almost didn't bother applying. There's hope for us all!) and gave me more scholarship than anyone else (excluding UMN)

I like Emory, and I'm considering hanging on to see what kind of scholarship I could get. At the same time, it would break my grandma's heart if I didn't go to school right down the street from her.
Hindsight is 20/20. I really wish I had applied to Vany. But I told myself that the amount of choices I have already is a lot, and I don't want to make things more complicated. Oh well.

gameface

New

Post by gameface » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Hmmm...looks like the waitlist is massive...and 3 different waitlists? I'm not on the priority list or the sorta priority list ...just the good ole regular waitlist. Not looking too good for me.

LittleBlueBird

Bronze

Post by LittleBlueBird » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:20 pm

gameface wrote:Hmmm...looks like the waitlist is massive...and 3 different waitlists? I'm not on the priority list or the sorta priority list ...just the good ole regular waitlist. Not looking too good for me.
It is the waitlist triforce!

stumpy

New

Post by stumpy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Last edited by stumpy on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:01 pm

gameface wrote:Hmmm...looks like the waitlist is massive...and 3 different waitlists? I'm not on the priority list or the sorta priority list ...just the good ole regular waitlist. Not looking too good for me.
Wait, what the heck is the sorta priority waitlist?! This is asanine.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:07 pm

I know Emory doesn't negotiate scholarships but does anyone know if playing intense hardball would work?

Something like: "Match my other scholarship and I will deposit today"

CMJdoeslawschool

New

Post by CMJdoeslawschool » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:09 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:
From reading this thread all I saw were two waitlists...not three. What are you basing your info off of?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 pm

TheThriller wrote:I know Emory doesn't negotiate scholarships but does anyone know if playing intense hardball would work?

No, I doubt that will work.

But if you try that, do let us know how it went.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:11 pm

TheThriller wrote:I know Emory doesn't negotiate scholarships but does anyone know if playing intense hardball would work?

would depend on how urgently they need your numbers....FWIW I'm always a little skeptical when schools claim that they absolutely won't negotiate scholarships.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:12 pm

cusenation wrote:

would depend on how urgently they need your numbers....FWIW I'm always a little skeptical when schools claim that they absolutely won't negotiate scholarships.
congrats on Columbia buttface.

gameface

New

Post by gameface » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:13 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
2012Lsatscore wrote:My question is, are they going to completely exhaust the "priority" list before moving to the others?
Has anyone even been.. er, "regular" waitlisted?

On a different note, it's also a total crock of shit that they are saying we'll get our decision immediately after the deadline for a non-refundable deposit. Seriously?
I was. I have no mention of the term "priority" and no ASD invitation. I believe there are at least two versions of the regular waitlist e-mail floating around. Mine similarly says that they hope to admit me as soon as they evaluate the yield after deposits. Seeing the amount of "priority" waitlisters, I think this statement is also "a total crock of shit".
gatorgirl2012 wrote:
My apologies...I don't really know if there is really 3 tiers of the waitlist, hence the question mark in my original post. Just going by another post from someone earlier. Can anyone attest to there being 3 different kinds of waitlists?

gatorlaw55

New

Post by gatorlaw55 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:18 pm

cusenation wrote:heThriller wrote:
I know Emory doesn't negotiate scholarships but does anyone know if playing intense hardball would work?

I called several times and they insist they have a non-negotiation policy :( let us know if you try, though!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:21 pm

How about this? Someone who is sure that they are on this "priority Waitlist", post the language of the entire letter. And someone who is certain they are on the "regular Waitlist", do the same thing.

I really hope there is no "sorta priority Waitlist". And if there is, I really hope Emory named that Waitlist the "sorta priority Waitlist". I'd giggle for sure

Samizdizzle

New

Post by Samizdizzle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:24 pm

I talked with admissions about different lists. What they said seemed to imply this was not the case, but they never exactly denied it. They're now aware of the scuttlebutt regarding this on here. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some further clarification.

nba101790

Bronze

Post by nba101790 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:25 pm

I'll bite. This is not the priority one:

Thank you for your interest in Emory Law. I wanted to write you from my personal email account to express my appreciation for your patience as we reviewed your file. I am well-aware that you have deadlines and decisions to make, and it is always our goal to find space in our class for applicants with such high credentials as you.

The Admission Committee invites you to join our waitlist, for we hope to offer you admission as soon as we are able to analyze our first deposits in mid-April. This year has been unique for Emory Law’s admission cycle. To achieve an optimal class, we plan to admit students over the next several weeks, and I hope you will stay with us so we are able to give you the option to join our community.

To accept our invitation to join the waitlist, please reply to me personally by Sunday, April 14. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me as well. I want to make sure you have all the information necessary to feel comfortable joining our community.

Again, we fully anticipate admitting numerous students from the waitlist, and we will have some scholarships available. To alleviate some of the uncertainty of the waitlist process, if you are offered a spot at Emory Law and matriculate with us, we will credit your student account for the amount of your non-refundable first deposit to one other school (up to $250).

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Mine is different and it's not the priority one. It says:

Emory Law’s Admission Committee has reviewed your application for the Fall 2013 incoming class. This year, our applicant pool is among the strongest ever. Based on your strong academic credentials and personal achievements, we are extending you an offer to join our waitlist.

We maintain a waitlist of highly qualified applicants to provide opportunities for additional outstanding candidates—like you—to join our community. We anticipate making offers to waitlist candidates beginning in April and continuing through the summer. The number of waitlist candidates offered admission will depend on the number of applicants who accept Emory Law’s offer of admission and enroll by paying the first enrollment deposit by the April 19 deadline.

To confirm your place on our waitlist, visit http://www.law.emory.edu/2013list by Sunday, April 14. We have posted a section of frequently asked questions about the waitlist there. The site is password protected so you will need your LSAC number. Your password is your last name.

We offer the waitlist option to a very select group of applicants. I fully anticipate admitting numerous students from the waitlist, and we will have some scholarships available. To alleviate some of the uncertainty of the waitlist process, if you are offered a spot at Emory Law and matriculate with us, we will credit your student account for the amount of your non-refundable first deposit to one other school (up to $250).

If you remain interested in Emory Law, allow us the chance to admit you so you have all your options available. I strongly encourage you to register at the waitlist website as soon as possible at http://www.law.emory.edu/2013list. If you do not respond by Sunday, April 14, we will assume you are no longer interested in admission to Emory Law and close your file.

I look forward to reviewing your file again soon. If you have any questions after reviewing the FAQs, contact me at admission@law.emory.edu.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”