University of Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Post Reply
sonny

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:17 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by sonny » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:59 am

Any dings after UR 11/27? Seems many of the admits were UR 10/31 & 11/27...

User avatar
bdeebs

Bronze
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by bdeebs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:26 am

Checking in. Applied 12/7, IR as of 12/17. Out of state applicant.

User avatar
kingsfield69

Bronze
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by kingsfield69 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:27 am

Accepted earlier this month, officially withdrawn today to attend elsewhere. Hopefully this opens the door for someone else -- best of luck to those still waiting!

nolabreeze

New
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by nolabreeze » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:55 pm

sonny wrote:
nolabreeze wrote:Dinged today. Not a huge surprise with my numbers.
Did you go in review 11/27?

Thanks
hey, sorry for the delay (winter break, ha). yes i was under review on 11/27.

WaitingandHopeful

Bronze
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by WaitingandHopeful » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Did the Gates scholarship application reminder go out to everyone today or does it mean something?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
teachmehowtoraji

Bronze
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by teachmehowtoraji » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm

WaitingandHopeful wrote:Did the Gates scholarship application reminder go out to everyone today or does it mean something?

I got it today too.

User avatar
scretcher

New
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by scretcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:48 pm

WaitingandHopeful wrote:Did the Gates scholarship application reminder go out to everyone today or does it mean something?

I got one, and by the language used, I assume it was sent to everyone else.

And since i'm posting, anybody know how long the "In Review" process lasts? I got that update on 12/17.

User avatar
dproduct

Gold
Posts: 4078
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by dproduct » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:01 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:
WaitingandHopeful wrote:Did the Gates scholarship application reminder go out to everyone today or does it mean something?

I got it today too.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Got the Gates scholarship invite. Sounds really cool. I think they've convinced me to apply. If I got it, it would be VERY hard to turn down.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
b123

Bronze
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by b123 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Got the Gates scholarship invite. Sounds really cool. I think they've convinced me to apply. If I got it, it would be VERY hard to turn down.
Got the email too. Does anyone know if this is concerned more with softs/experiences or if you pretty much need to be above median GPA and LSAT along with the relevant experience to have a realistic shot?

User avatar
scretcher

New
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by scretcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 pm

b123 wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Got the Gates scholarship invite. Sounds really cool. I think they've convinced me to apply. If I got it, it would be VERY hard to turn down.
Got the email too. Does anyone know if this is concerned more with softs/experiences or if you pretty much need to be above median GPA and LSAT along with the relevant experience to have a realistic shot?

From the email:
The Gates PSL Scholars are selected from among the group of talented students such as yourself who are evaluated on the following criteria:

·Applicant’s personal commitment to public interest work as evidenced by previous work and/or volunteer experience;
·Strength of an applicant’s essay describing personal vision and factors that have influenced his/her choice of public service as a career path;
·The extent to which the applicant can make a positive contribution to the Program as evidenced by his/her portfolio of experiences and interests;
·Prospects for the quality of the applicant’s performance as a student and a lawyer;
·Apparent good character including integrity; and
·When applicants appear equally qualified selection shall be determined on the basis of financial need.
No mention of GPA/LSAT. I'm sure the scholarship board will cross-reference your Gates application and admission application, so if you apply, make sure those are consistent and complimentary to one another.

User avatar
uconjak

Bronze
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by uconjak » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:15 am

got an invite to apply for merit scholarships for Washington. I haven't got a acceptance yet? what is the deal? any ideas along those lines.

Aloyicious

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by Aloyicious » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 pm

scretcher wrote:
b123 wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Got the Gates scholarship invite. Sounds really cool. I think they've convinced me to apply. If I got it, it would be VERY hard to turn down.
Got the email too. Does anyone know if this is concerned more with softs/experiences or if you pretty much need to be above median GPA and LSAT along with the relevant experience to have a realistic shot?

From the email:
The Gates PSL Scholars are selected from among the group of talented students such as yourself who are evaluated on the following criteria:

·Applicant’s personal commitment to public interest work as evidenced by previous work and/or volunteer experience;
·Strength of an applicant’s essay describing personal vision and factors that have influenced his/her choice of public service as a career path;
·The extent to which the applicant can make a positive contribution to the Program as evidenced by his/her portfolio of experiences and interests;
·Prospects for the quality of the applicant’s performance as a student and a lawyer;
·Apparent good character including integrity; and
·When applicants appear equally qualified selection shall be determined on the basis of financial need.
No mention of GPA/LSAT. I'm sure the scholarship board will cross-reference your Gates application and admission application, so if you apply, make sure those are consistent and complimentary to one another.

I believe that they primarily if not only care about soft factors. I am a grad student at UW and was accepted for a concurrent law degree with my PhD. I am friends with a few law students, including the Grad/Professional Student Body President (who gets a tuition waiver, def look into this if you go UW Law) and was told that the type of people that have gotten the Gates in recent years have started non-profits and done crazy volunteer and public interest work. I don't know if this is helpful, but I've heard that if you don't have much volunteer experience it is not worth applying to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
clouded.memory

Bronze
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by clouded.memory » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 am

Aloyicious wrote:I believe that they primarily if not only care about soft factors. I am a grad student at UW and was accepted for a concurrent law degree with my PhD. I am friends with a few law students, including the Grad/Professional Student Body President (who gets a tuition waiver, def look into this if you go UW Law) and was told that the type of people that have gotten the Gates in recent years have started non-profits and done crazy volunteer and public interest work. I don't know if this is helpful, but I've heard that if you don't have much volunteer experience it is not worth applying to.
This. I'm currently a UW student and one of my undergrad professors (who also teaches at UW Law School) told me that in all her years of teaching, she's never seen a Gates scholar who hasn't been out of school for at least a couple of years and who doesn't have some amazing softs.

User avatar
intlsplitr

Bronze
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by intlsplitr » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Checking in.

nickb285

Silver
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by nickb285 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Just got the waitlist email. Oh well.

User avatar
dproduct

Gold
Posts: 4078
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by dproduct » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:13 pm

nickb285 wrote:Just got the waitlist email. Oh well.
I'm sorry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
BlazersTime

Bronze
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by BlazersTime » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:30 pm

nickb285 wrote:Just got the waitlist email. Oh well.
Wow that is really surprising considering your LSAT score

User avatar
b123

Bronze
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by b123 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 pm

In Review since 11/27. Is that weird?

sonny

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:17 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by sonny » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:59 pm

nickb285 wrote:Just got the waitlist email. Oh well.
+1

User avatar
dproduct

Gold
Posts: 4078
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by dproduct » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:18 pm

b123 wrote:In Review since 11/27. Is that weird?
Current Status: In Review
Current Status Date: 11/27/2012

Mail Description Mailing Date
App Received/Status Checker Info 11/13/2012
Right there with ya.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
Callous135

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by Callous135 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 am

Got dinged today. My first one for this cycle. LSAT 158; GPA 3.3

User avatar
BlazersTime

Bronze
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by BlazersTime » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 am

b123 wrote:In Review since 11/27. Is that weird?
Complete on 11/5, in review since 11/27. This is taking a while

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:36 am

In! Word!

User avatar
dproduct

Gold
Posts: 4078
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by dproduct » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:20 am

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:In! Word!
Grats!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”