CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wontpanic

New

Re: CUNY Law C/O 2015 Applicants

Post by wontpanic » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:12 pm

Random Q: Does anyone one know what the schedules would look like for a first year this fall? I don't mean courses. Are there classes before 9am? are there two or 3 block types such as 9-3 Mon-thurs, 10-5 Mon Wed Fri... etc.
Trying to figure out childcare and wondering what my schedule could look like...

aclaw55

New

Post by aclaw55 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:14 pm

lol application is still in review :shock:

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Kess wrote:Probably Cardozo... As tempting as CUNY's tuition is, I feel that Cardozo would be a better choice for me. Plus the law firm I work for now is really encouraging Cardozo and I think I would be breaking valuable ties by going into CUNY... especially since I am not 100% sure that PI is for me.
Interesting. Exact same decision as me (rec'd $ from both schools). Once I got Cardozo, Brooklyn was out, and was really tempted by CUNY but my aim is more government work initially (perhaps aiming at a Skadden or EJW first), so pretty much every coworker, colleague, and supervisor convinced me that Cardozo was the obvious choice. Still, I live in Astoria so it kinda sucks that I'll still have to commute when I could've been biking over to LIC. :wink:

Also, I think I got one of the really early decisions...I heard in late January. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet!
Last edited by sd5289 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:12 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:I feel like this thread has taken a negative turn when it shouldn't have. Back to the new LIC campus. Anyone in the NYC area live near it, willing to go take photos?
Yes, I live in the adjacent neighborhood (Astoria). While I certainly wouldn't call LIC "nice" in the traditional sense, it's definitely a lot better than it used to be. It still has a kind of warehouse(ish)/commuter type feeling, but you are right next door to both Astoria and midtown, and there's plenty of stuff in both areas. I went to a party at the Hotel Z (or whatever it's called) during the holidays, which is very close to CUNY's new building, and there's great rooftop access with a view of Manhattan. I actually plan on hitting it up this summer before law school (assuming it doesn't cost $15 for a cocktail and $35 for an entree...).

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:54 pm

I got into my other first choice (albeit a deferred admission to the c/o 2016, but whatever), so the sole remaining school I have yet to hear from is CUNY! So if I get into CUNY, I get to not waste next year temping in some law firm.

If I don't hear this week, I'm going to go nuts. I check the status checker probably a dozen times per day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JL30

New

Post by JL30 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Im not sure if this was discussed earlier, if it was I apologies, but if someone wasn't 100% sure that they wanted to practice PI Law, is CUNY still the right choice for them? Personally, I'm rather concerned that CUNY doesn't rank there students, also in there handbook it states that they don't report GPA on your transcript. What concerns me is when competing for a job how can one differentiate themselves to a potential employer? Think about it, whether first in your class or last you can't prove it, 4.0 GPA (wishful thinking, I know) or 2.0 GPA the employer can't validate the claim, so it seems to be a big disadvantage.

If I am missing something please let me know. Its hard though to know what choice is the "right" choice, especially considering the conflicting opinions all over the web and on forums.

So whats the deal? Am I missing something here? Why would it matter how you perform, if there is no way to validate it?

Thanks in advance!!!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Alright, I'm starting to get a little suspicious as to why I haven't heard back yet. I submitted my application on January 6th, and now almost three months after I went into review, I still haven't heard a peep from CUNY. I got into my other top choice, although it's a deferred admission to the C/O 2016, so I'd have to wait a year to matriculate. So if I'm going to law school this fall, I'm going to CUNY. What's the reason for the holdup? How can a school have a complete application for four months and not have rendered any form of a decision - even if that decision is a deferral or waitlist?

I sent an email over a month ago asking what was taking so long and I received a form letter response telling me nothing. I send in a LOCI because I assume I've essentially been deferred or waitlisted, and I never even receive a confirmation that they received it. What's the deal, am I just being pushy and they don't want to talk, or are they just bad at communicating during the admissions process?

LawyerBrah

New

Post by LawyerBrah » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:32 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Alright, I'm starting to get a little suspicious as to why I haven't heard back yet. I submitted my application on January 6th, and now almost three months after I went into review, I still haven't heard a peep from CUNY. I got into my other top choice, although it's a deferred admission to the C/O 2016, so I'd have to wait a year to matriculate. So if I'm going to law school this fall, I'm going to CUNY. What's the reason for the holdup? How can a school have a complete application for four months and not have rendered any form of a decision - even if that decision is a deferral or waitlist?

I sent an email over a month ago asking what was taking so long and I received a form letter response telling me nothing. I send in a LOCI because I assume I've essentially been deferred or waitlisted, and I never even receive a confirmation that they received it. What's the deal, am I just being pushy and they don't want to talk, or are they just bad at communicating during the admissions process?

I did my undergrad at CUNY

There notoriously slow when it comes to admissions.

Your best chance is to call them and speak with a real person about it.

overunderachiever

Bronze

Post by overunderachiever » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:46 am

JL30 wrote:Im not sure if this was discussed earlier, if it was I apologies, but if someone wasn't 100% sure that they wanted to practice PI Law, is CUNY still the right choice for them? Personally, I'm rather concerned that CUNY doesn't rank there students, also in there handbook it states that they don't report GPA on your transcript. What concerns me is when competing for a job how can one differentiate themselves to a potential employer? Think about it, whether first in your class or last you can't prove it, 4.0 GPA (wishful thinking, I know) or 2.0 GPA the employer can't validate the claim, so it seems to be a big disadvantage.

If I am missing something please let me know. Its hard though to know what choice is the "right" choice, especially considering the conflicting opinions all over the web and on forums.

So whats the deal? Am I missing something here? Why would it matter how you perform, if there is no way to validate it?

Thanks in advance!!!
GPA is reported on your transcript, except for your first semester. If you want to show them your first semester grades, you can, but its not reported. But yeah, CUNY doesn't rank. I think its because there's much less emphasis class rank and on grades if you're doing public interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JL30

New

Post by JL30 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:07 am

Phewwwww.........ACCEPTED!!! Best of Luck to anyone still waiting, longest 2 and a half months ever!!! :D

pizzaaaaaa

New

Post by pizzaaaaaa » Mon May 07, 2012 7:16 pm

So are all fall classes going to be at the LCI location?

JL30

New

Post by JL30 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:10 pm

I Think so, rather I hope so who wants to go back and forth between LIC and Flushing. That would be annoying!!!

wontpanic

New

Post by wontpanic » Mon May 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Does anyone know when we're supposed to get our schedules for fall?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lapetite7

New

Post by Lapetite7 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:43 pm

JL30 wrote:Phewwwww.........ACCEPTED!!! Best of Luck to anyone still waiting, longest 2 and a half months ever!!! :D

CONGRATS - how did you find out? status checkers, email or snail mail?

JL30

New

Post by JL30 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Lapetite7

I received an email from them that I should check my online status, them I got the letter two days later......And thx, Im super excited!!!!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Tue May 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Rejected. Only took them four months! Good luck all, I'm going to Rutgers.

lsatmao

New

Post by lsatmao » Sat May 12, 2012 3:07 am

Hi everyone,

Finally admitted today. LSAT 153/UGPA 3.18.

Might have to take a trip up to NYC to check things out (originally from the dirty south). I think I read somewhere they were making the move to the new facilities before the fall?

Anywho, congrats to those who made it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lapetite7

New

Post by Lapetite7 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:29 am

lsatmao wrote:Hi everyone,

Finally admitted today. LSAT 153/UGPA 3.18.

Might have to take a trip up to NYC to check things out (originally from the dirty south). I think I read somewhere they were making the move to the new facilities before the fall?

Anywho, congrats to those who made it!
Congrats. Did u find out via small or status checker? H

poofyalpaca

New

Post by poofyalpaca » Sun May 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the Summer Law Institute?

JL30

New

Post by JL30 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:55 am

No but Im really intrigued.... What it is it?

Im gonna look it up and call if I find out anything relevant I will post about it!!!

poofyalpaca

New

Post by poofyalpaca » Mon May 14, 2012 11:02 am

--LinkRemoved--

"For the past eight years, the Professional Skills Center has conducted an intensive academic orientation to law study, the Summer Law Institute. The Institute is designed for students who could benefit from a more intensive academic orientation to legal education than is available through the regular Pre-law Orientation program (for example, students who have been out of school for more than three years, students whose undergraduate education did not involve a significant amount analytic reading and writing, or students who traditionally underperform on standardized tests).

Taught by full-time Law School faculty, the Institute addresses three major areas: academics, study skills, and the "culture" of law school. Through demonstration classes, group discussions, and extensive practice with individual feedback, students in the Institute are exposed to the range of experiences they can expect during the first year of law school. Selected prior participants in the Summer Law Institute act as teaching assistants the following year."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JL30

New

Post by JL30 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:49 am

AWESOME, Thank You

scrowell

Bronze

Post by scrowell » Mon May 14, 2012 7:29 pm

SLI was pointless for "practical" purposes, but it did help me to meet some friends before school started.

lsatmao

New

Post by lsatmao » Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 am

Lapetite7 wrote:
Congrats. Did u find out via small or status checker? H
Thanks, I found out via status checker last week and received my letter today.

pizzaaaaaa

New

Post by pizzaaaaaa » Thu May 24, 2012 7:09 am

So yesterday it still said I was under review; but it said my decision letter was sent, does anyone know if that's good or bad? I'm freaking out!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”